Herloom 14' Arkansas Traveler Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WELCOME to the world of boat ownership.

Things will get better! Take it one step at a time, fix the leaks and the tounge. After you get the repairs done take the boat to a local park or empty parking lot and practice backing into parking spaces. I do that with every trailer I buy just to get a feel for how it backs. Every one is different and it usually doesn't take long to figure it out. Also learn to use the mirrors to back up.

Thanks Freek. It was frustrating and embarrassing but from here I move forward. I started the process today of getting the trailer fixed. Borrowed an angle grinder from a neighbor and got the tongue cut off and a new coupler bought and fitted. I'll install it later.

As you can see, I really mangled that tongue yesterday!

Attachments

• 0214161555.jpg
    0214161555.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,459
  • 0214161555a.jpg
    0214161555a.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,459
Looking at the pictures of the trailer connected to your truck you might want to look into adding some length to the trailer tounge. The more distance you have between your ball and the trailer tires the easier it will be to back up. Just a thought since it is already apart.

I thought about doing that very thing and was actually just talking to my father-in-law about it today. I did get a new coupler bolted on which will get me going for now, plus it added a few inches of length. If I want to add some length later I just need to unbolt it

Attachments

• 0214161850.jpg
    0214161850.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,435
Wow. Tough luck on the maiden outing. Glad you've got the trailer straightened out. Have you determined why the motor wouldn't start?

I'm **** good at backing up trailers but since the power steering pump is out on he truck, it makes things way more difficult. I can't just make corrections on a dime, I have to roll the truck at least a few feet while muscling the wheel. I get looks and laughs all the time. One year I'll fix that pump.

My guess is one of two things happened. Either I flooded it, I have an original pressurized tank and that is REALLY easy to do when you prime it. The other thing, and it may have been a combination, that I noticed that the exhaust port was underwater. I don't know if that is a factor or not since I'm not super solid on how a two stroke o/b even operates. In either respect I haven't had a chance yet to pull the motor and give it a barrel check.

I checked my fuel tank this afternoon and found that it has been leaking for several days from the hose, I released the pressure and found it to still be leaking from the hose, I also found a small split in the connector end of the air hose. Not sure if this has any impact on whether the motor wasn't starting or not.

I also grabbed my 5200 and decided to plug the leaky rivets. I wasn't 100% sure which rivets were leaking...so I plugged all of them :) It's ugly as sin but next week I'll paint over it after the sealer has fully cured.

Attachments

• 0215161646.jpg
    0215161646.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,259
  • 0215161644a.jpg
    0215161644a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,259
I NEED HELP!!!

I started the motor today and it ran fine. I shut it down to grab something from the garage, started it again but the throttle body had stuck open and it revved high, the throttle was frozen and I had to shut it down by closing the carburetor...it hasn't started since.

I have tried everything I can think of to do, I even changed the spark plugs. It will turn over and fire but won't stay lit. I don't think it's getting fuel. Can someone give me an idea I haven't tried yet?

I noticed a small split in the fuel line but there's no sign that it's leaking, and the pressure gasket on the tank is still good. Is it possible that it could just be flooded? It still wouldn't start after sitting for about an hour.

Also the tank stopped leaking yesterday after messing with it for a bit.

Piomarine said:
OK so it's been a little while but I'm back. It has been a productive couple weeks, I have been able to get the boat primed and painted. In the next couple days (probably this weekend) I am going to get the trailer painted and rewired, and, if the money gods allow, get some new tires.

I used I used "Majic: Tractor and Implement" paint in I.H. White for the bottom, and Ford Blue for the upper. One tip for anyone who is wanting to try this paint as I have said with everything else thus far...FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURES INSTRUCTIONS. Also, if you plan to roll it on which you can, use foam rollers only!

Pictures below :)
You boat looks amazing! What brand of primer did you use with the coat it, and did you spray or roll on the paint?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I just used a simple aerosol self etching primer. I think I got it at home depot or maybe an auto parts store but I didn't use anything fancy. 2-3 cans did it for me, but it's fairly cheap. You could also roll it on, but make sure you only use a foam roller.

OK so after some astute advice from Pappy, I got the motor running smooth again, but I swear if it's not one thing with this boat it's another...

Progress has been made though...I actually managed to get the boat IN the water this time, had to promptly pull it back out and let the water drain out, then close the drain plug, and put it back in the water. Once the plug was in it low and behold...IT FLOATS!!! I pumped up the tank, pulled the choke, pulled the cord, engine fired and started moving...like a goober I forgot to check and see that it was in neutral so I started in gear and drove down the dock while I was tied to it. Shut it down, and fired it up again (in neutral this time) and found it struggling to stay lit. It died again and when I tried to start it up the string pulled but the motor wouldn't turn...

That was the end of day two on the lake. One of these days I'll actually take it out on the water...I HOPE!

Attachments

• 0228161512.jpg
    0228161512.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,213
Today everything finally came together, and after a short stint of engine trouble, got it runng and took the traveler out on the big water for the first time in 32 years! It handled really well even in a 20 mph headwind. Even with just me in the boat it was able to get mostly up on plane. I did not attempt to stand up in it today, there was A LOT of chop on the lake and I just didn't feel like getting wet being the only boat on the lake. I am still afraid it will be a little on the tippy side up front...I added a lot of weight above the water line, but I'll let ya'll know how it feels when I know.

Attachments

• 0301161616.jpg
    0301161616.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,187
  • 0301161616a.jpg
    0301161616a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,187
  • 0301161628a.jpg
    0301161628a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,187
Took the boat out to Joe Pool Lake today and took my wife and dog with for the first time. Everything went great! Afterwards we drove the trailered boat to my wife's grandmother's house and showed her her namesake boat finished for the first time. She cried seeing her dad's boat being used and loved by the family again. I may take her out on it later this week or next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG953616.jpg
    IMG953616.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,132
  • IMG_8239.jpg
    IMG_8239.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,132
  • IMG958225.jpg
    IMG958225.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,132
  • IMG958227.jpg
    IMG958227.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,132
  • IMG_8242.jpg
    IMG_8242.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,132
Hello i live 30 mins away. I've been contemplating a trip to the pool after my tin is finished up. How's the water out on Joe pool? Any areas that you would advise against?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

When the wind kicks up as it has the last couple weeks I would advise staying somewhat closer to shore. That is a big lake for these little boats and the ride can get interesting in a 20 mph wind. If you are solo launching, Lloyd Park is a great place to put in. You can launch and immediately beach without worrying about tying up to a tiny dock full of fishermen, and the lot is maybe 100 ft from the ramp.

We should meet up out there sometime...it'd make a nice photo-shoot your 59' Smithcraft and my '56 Traveler.

Thanks! I totally will meet up with you when the 59' it's buttoned up.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Finally got my trolling motor mount from Fishon Fab, and it looks and functions fantastically (on land...I will put it in the water late this week). I requested it from Fishon raw and painted it to match my boat...it moved my motor as close to centerline as it will get. I couldn't be happier, and I can't wait to try it out on the water!

Attachments

• 0403161810.jpg
    0403161810.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,999
  • 0403161810a.jpg
    0403161810a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,999

Latest posts