How much would you pay??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would strip the whole boat down and then decide what you are going to use it for. That way be able to customize it how you want. You then can add like courtesy lights or lights in the hatches multiple live wells lights in the live wells ect ect ect. btw you got a good deal on the boat. Make sure you look at the transom to see if wood needs to get replaced. On my old 77 duracraft i had the whole back transom cut out and a new thicker piece of aluminum welded back so i didn't have to worry about wood routing out. You can look at my build to see what it looks like.

I think I want to avoid alot of the wiring by just removing the console and run a flat bottom in the middle. Keep the front and back decks. Recarpet... mount my radio somewhere and throw a 15-20 hp tiller on the back...Turn it into a big jon boat.

Well went out and got a battery today only to find out that the trolling motor is trash. Ripped out most of the wiring and took out the consol. Going to clean it up some more and put some new flooring in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_1306.JPG
    IMG_1306.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 656
Great buy! I just got one pretty much identical to yours, but it's a 1990:
file.php

I guess you could make it a big tiller boat, but these boats are made to go faster, with strakes and all, so a 15 HP isn't going to push it like it would a regular jon boat. But it WILL get you out there, and you WILL have a great time with it, either way.

But it really depends on whether or not you enjoy speed. If you do, you may look back and wish you had just found a motor for it.

Think it out carefully before you rip out or cut up too much. I've done a number of projects, and very often guys tear a boat up, then regret what they did before thinking it over. Then I get it for next to nothing, but have a lot more work ahead of me than I would have otherwise.

Another thing to consider, is if you pull out the controls, and turn it into a jon boat, you will greatly reduce the value of it on resale. So if you think you are going to keep it for many years, do whatever. But if you think you will use it for a couple of years, and then upgrade, you may want to keep resale values in mind.

Either way, I hope it goes great! I'll be posting my project pics at the same time, so I'll be checking yours regularly.

-Tony

My new tracker grizzly was supposed to be a tiller and it’s also an 18ft. I looked online and found and aftermarket side console that I could bolt up and I love that. My old 16ft was a tiller and it was kind of a pain to drive. You had to straddle the back seat so you weren't twisted weird. I’m running a 50hp on my current boat and I get up to about 40 with it and maybe a little faster if it’s calm out. Idk if the smaller motors you’re talking about will get you and the boat out the hole and on a plan. Don’t skimp on the motor otherwise you’ll probably regret it.

I've got a 50hp outboard [strike]Johnson[/strike] Evinrude electric shift with all the controls, steering & 6 gal portable gas tank in excellent condition with a brand new impeller I'm going to be listing for $500 come spring - I had it running beautifully in a tank but I haven't found a 16' or 17' welded hull on the cheap to put it on so the more I look the more likely I am to just stick with my 14'...

onthewater102 said:
I've got a 50hp outboard Johnson electric shift with all the controls, steering & 6 gal portable gas tank in excellent condition with a brand new impeller I'm going to be listing for $500 come spring - I had it running beautifully in a tank but I haven't found a 16' or 17' welded hull on the cheap to put it on so the more I look the more likely I am to just stick with my 14'...
Please let me know when you do. I just may be pretty interested. Thanks
BTW, NOT for my current project but for my next.

Got it traded. I was ready for something to put it the water. This boat is WIDE and very stable.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 198

Latest posts