Installing a water/fuel separator on my 1432

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

influx99

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an old 1432 flat bottom jon boat that I keep pretty stripped down. I have it on a trailer. I have a new 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke tiller-steer outboard along with the portable 3 gallon tank Merc sells. I've heard plenty of horror stories about ethanol causing engine problems and am considering adding a water/fuel separator. I have some questions and concerns about this, mainly with flexibility/portability issues.

This is the one I am considering:
https://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Water-Separator-Kit-Sierra/dm/keywords.fuel%20water%20separator--view_id.187573

I keep the jon boat in the yard with a tarp on it but the engine and fuel tank stays in my (somewhat) warm garage. When I go fishing I just toss the tank in the boat, mount the engine to the transom, and I'm off.

I also have a 13' v-hull that I put in the back of my pickup from time to time to fish areas that don't have a ramp. I like to use the same motor/tank on this boat as well.

So the obvious problem is, if I permanently install a separator on the transom of my 1432, then the tank has to stay there with it.

And what do I do about a water separator for the v-hull that gets tossed in the truck? That thing just sits in the yard upside-down… Do I really need to buy another tank and separator and permanently install that setup on the v-hull?

Is there a way to set up a water separator that's just inline on the fuel line and stays attached to the tank so I can just take the tank/separator out of the boat?

Sorry for the long-winded question about what should be a relatively simple solution. I did a lot of searching and don't see anyone else discussing this issue.

Should I just forget about the separator? I've never had an issue but I've only run the 9.9 for one season. Probably has less than 10 hours on it total.

If anyone has a setup done for this I'd appreciate photos as well.

I don't think it would be too hard to make this work. From what I understand there are 2 types of separators one of which has a small removable cup at the bottom of the filter. You will need to mount the separator to a board that fits into a mount on each boat.
When your done with the separator on one boat you remove the little cup dump what has been collected and take it from the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346219#p346219 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls » 26 minutes ago[/url]"]I don't think it would be too hard to make this work. From what I understand there are 2 types of separators one of which has a small removable cup at the bottom of the filter. You will need to mount the separator to a board that fits into a mount on each boat.
When your done with the separator on one boat you remove the little cup dump what has been collected and take it from the boat.

I like this approach. I could just make some kind of bracket that the separator slides into. The bracket can be permanently mounted on the inside of the transom. Thanks.

Latest posts