Intro and Crawdad Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel Kyper Sr

Reaction score
Hello All, I have been enjoying your site for the past year or so. I'm very impressed with the mods and the way you support one another. I also enjoy the regional flare of the posters.

I recently purchased an older 12ft Coleman Crawdad. It was $200 ( I drove 3 hrs to get it , the ad was posted at 9pm and I picked it up at 930am-by that time the seller had received 25 emails and 15 calls). I will be using it primarily to fish the nearby Conservation area's that have a "no gas motor" policy. I have a MK Traxis 55lb and an 80's/90's 6hp Mercury to power it.

IMG056_zpseb18ddf6.jpg
[/url][/img]

I have read the previous posts regarding Crawdad mods and got some good ideas from them- thanks for posting.
My plan is to:
-install folding swivel seats that also slide side to side-not sure how I will do this.
-remove existing floor and replace it with a sheet of vinyl covered plywood.
-install some accessories, rod holders, anchor, electrical, hinged panels under seats etc.

I need some advice in terms of buoyancy. I want to remove the bow and stern foam blocks to improve storage. To offset the loss of the original foam blocks I was thinking of gluing 1 1/2" rigid foam insulation to the bottom of the new plywood floor.

What are you thoughts on the foam floor idea?
Does anyone have any advice on sliding the seats side to side?

Thanks in advance for any info.

As long as the floor is attached to the boat, you can attach the foam underneath it, if its not attacbed to the boat then the floor would float away if you were ever swamped. As for sliding seats,the G5 sliders were desingned for that,but I see you are from Ontario too, and its crazy expensive to get them shippped. Someone on here made their own with car seat sliders for a small car.. Do a search and you'll find it...
Which conservation area do you fish?

Maestro-thanks for the advice. You and your daughter did nice work on that Sylvan. I am going to use some sort of collar with a set screw around the seat support tubing to hold the floor down. I fish Mountsberg, Kelso, and Island Lake, all are within 30mins. Guelph lake, Belwood and Valens are also places I was planning on fishing this year as well Shoot me a pm if you ever want to meet up at one of these places.

Id like to try Belwood sometime :) Meanwhile, keep posting pics of your work.. Ive always liked the Colemans, they are a neat concept.. I see them come up and quickly get snatched on kijiji, so I know they are a rare find here !