Is 5 extra hp worth it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysail

Reaction score
I was at a boat dealer today and I was looking at their mercury outboards. In the future I would really like to upgrade to a 20hp. My boat is rated to 15hp. I know the boat can handle even more because its in great shape. The price difference isnt too much. Would you go for 5 hp over the placarded 15? They both weigh the same too. Now my boat has an 8hp and it wont plane. Good enough for now, but im just curious.

I wouldn't officially advise you to go over the boats capacity. That being said, I'd get the 20. Reason being that they are the same motors, just a different carb. The older 9.9's and 15's were the same motor, similar to the older 20 and 25's. Now the 15 and 20 are the same, which is why you see the same wieght. If the 15 and 20 were different motors, I'd stick to the 15. Please note that this is my laymans perspective, someone with more motor expertice may chime in.

Depends on how strict your insurance is (if you have it), how strict your state registration/inspection is or if you fish hp restricted lakes.

If there is no weight difference and the above doesn't apply to you.. go for the 20.

If the above does apply to you and the only difference is the carb as Ictalurus stated, buy the 15 and put a 20 carb on it. :lol:

Yeah I don't have insurance and im not sure about the local laws. Ill ask dnr next time they check for my fishing licence.

skysail said:
I was at a boat dealer today and I was looking at their mercury outboards. In the future I would really like to upgrade to a 20hp. My boat is rated to 15hp. I know the boat can handle even more because its in great shape. The price difference isnt too much. Would you go for 5 hp over the placarded 15? They both weigh the same too. Now my boat has an 8hp and it wont plane. Good enough for now, but im just curious.
Sounds like you have a smaller boat. 14-16 ft. I would definitely go with the 20hp.

I own a 12' mod V that is rated for 1 9.9hp. I decided to beef up the transom and bought a 15hp. Im glad I bought the extra horse power, my boat handles it just fine. Of course, the transom is much more solid than from factory. Go 20hp youd be glad you did. Its not like they rate these boats maximum, they do it underkill as a safety/legality issue.

Latest posts