Is This A Good Beginner Rebuild?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trollingman

Reaction score
I have never rebuilt a boat but I am good with my hands. I have fixed just about everything on vehicles except a transmission, fully remodeled my house, and I work on robots for a career. (in short, I have been able to tackle most projects) I currently own a Alumacraft 1648 for the river, but I want to get a large boat that can take my family fishing. Wife and three quickly growing kids. Mostly trolling, jigging, and occasional bobber fishing. We take trips to larger lakes, Devils, Kab, etc. I am the only one in the extended family that doesn't have a boat to handle that kind of water and I want to stop renting boats for these trips.

There are a couple things that will make life easier. I want a good sized boat, full windscreen, and a Bimini top that hopefully keep my wife on the water during less pleasant weather.

I came across the boat below and am considering doing a rebuild on it to make it into what I am looking for. I have searched the forum and there is little information on rebuilds for these boats. I'm curious, are they not worth rebuilding? Do you think this would be a worthwhile project? Any information you can share on this potential project that might be relevant to this decision.

1997 sylvan pro select
1997 115 johnson
Info:
Hasn't been in water for five years
Ran great last time out, hasn't been started for five years
Stored outside (obvious from the pictures)
Transom is good
Trailer is good

I haven't ventured over to the boat to confirm anything yet, or to try and fire the engine up. If the transom, engine, and trailer check out I might go for this one. The interior is a complete rebuild. I might modify some things with the boat, but for the most part the layout will stay similar. I assume everything interior is a rebuild. Wiring, foam, deck, seats, steering. I assume I can reuse the consoles and some of the hardware. I would prefer something other than carpet, I'm not really a fan of carpet in boats. Marine vinyl would be my preference.

As far as costs are concerned. I'm not going complete budget build but don't want to sink more money than needed to have a reliable, safe, durable, and functional boat.

So give it to me straight. Am I taking on too much for a beginner? Is this boat not worth sinking money into? Would $3-5K be a reasonable rebuild budget for everything?

Thanks for any information you are willing to give. I have already learned a lot reading through information on this site and I look forward to being able to participate in the future.

Attachments

• 00404_7Lkfkinog5N_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00404_7Lkfkinog5N_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 4
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1
That's a good sized boat. Not a quick rebuild. If you're wanting on the water, fix whatever it needs and then move on to other problems. I'd check the flooring and what's under it.

That's a good sized boat. Not a quick rebuild. If you're wanting on the water, fix whatever it needs and then move on to other problems. I'd check the flooring and what's under it.
Thanks for the reply. My timeline would be to get it on the water by next spring. I do not have a heated garage so winter would slow things down.

That's a beautiful boat, but looks like it's had a hard life. I'd think twice if it were me.

In my experience, once you dig into it, it is always worse than it looks.
I expect most everything needs replaced. The engine, hull, consoles and some hardware are all I'd hope to keep. There is always something unexpected. Another vote for pass? Thanks for your input.

I would probably jump on it, but I have worked on them for a very long time.

Could you send close up pics of the transom, inside and out? Any soft spots in the deck?

Part would depend on how much they want for it. For $1,500, I would jump on it. For $3,500, I would pass.

You will need to compression test the engine BEFORE purchase, unless they only want $1k. Know that you will need to service the engine, since it was sitting so long. Carb clean, new water pump impeller, fresh lower unit fluid. Fuel tank will need to be pumped out dry, and filled with fresh fuel at the minimum. All new fuel line, squeeze bulb and filter if there is one.

None of that is particularly hard, IF you are experienced. If not, you will pay a marina dearly to do that work.

Again, it really depends mostly on your abilities. If you don't have many boat repair skills, tools or the time to do it, pass and buy a boat for a little more that is ready to go.

Last edited:
I expect most everything needs replaced. The engine, hull, consoles and some hardware are all I'd hope to keep. There is always something unexpected. Another vote for pass? Thanks for your input.
I’m not saying pass or buy. Just as your first project it is going to have more issues than you planned and it’s going to take longer than planned, as well. We have all been there. It just part of being the first boat project.

Thill summed it nicely.

Based on what you say, you have the hands-on skills. You will need to learn some things unique to boats to do it right. Folks with a lot of experience are kind enough to share here. It sounds like you recognize that repairs are likely to go beyond cosmetic things. You can do it the work. Me personally, I would enjoy a product like that.

BTW, the seller's comment that "it ran great 5 years ago" would not be reassuring to me. Likely the owner took care of the motor the same way he took care of his boat. Post #8 above has some good info.

I would probably jump on it, but I have worked on them for a very long time.

Could you send close up pics of the transom, inside and out? Any soft spots in the deck?

Part would depend on how much they want for it. For $1,500, I would jump on it. For $3,500, I would pass.

You will need to compression test the engine BEFORE purchase, unless they only want $1k. Know that you will need to service the engine, since it was sitting so long. Carb clean, new water pump impeller, fresh lower unit fluid. Fuel tank will need to be pumped out dry, and filled with fresh fuel at the minimum. All new fuel line, squeeze bulb and filter if there is one.

None of that is particularly hard, IF you are experienced. If not, you will pay a marina dearly to do that work.

Again, it really depends mostly on your abilities. If you don't have many boat repair skills, tools or the time to do it, pass and buy a boat for a little more that is ready to go.
I expect to complete a full service on the engine. I know my way around engines and wiring so that part I'm less concerned with.

I'll check out the transom and get some pictures. Is the accepted method to pull up and down on the motor watching for the transom to flex and tap it with a rubber mallet listening for a hollow sound? Is there a better way to make sure it's good?

The guy is asking $3k, I wasn't planning on going more than $2k if the motor has good compression.

I plan a full rebuild of the deck, foam, wiring, fuel and water lines. I have the tools and ability, the knowledge can be gained. You can see the plywood delaminating in the pictures so I wouldn't think any of it can stay. Hopefully it's all good enough to get out and use as a template.

What would a rough estimate for a project like this be? Could I get it done in the $3-5k range for the interior of the boat?

Thanks for your advice and input.

Based on what you say, you have the hands-on skills. You will need to learn some things unique to boats to do it right. Folks with a lot of experience are kind enough to share here. It sounds like you recognize that repairs are likely to go beyond cosmetic things. You can do it the work. Me personally, I would enjoy a product like that.

BTW, the seller's comment that "it ran great 5 years ago" would not be reassuring to me. Likely the owner took care of the motor the same way he took care of his boat. Post #8 above has some good info.
I completely agree. It's one thing to take on a project where it was cared for but just needs tlc, it's a whole other for something that was abused.

Well, it looks good on the outside from a distance but, the interior looks abused. Maybe it was left out in the weather for several years. How’s the outboard look? If the owner didn’t care enough to store it with a boat cover I would be concerned that it the outboard was not maintained either.

Starting with an aluminum hull over a glass hull is a smart move !! Alum boats are so much easier to do and a better return on your investment. Sylvan makes a good boat, I have owned a couple. As long as there is no damage to the hull like cracks or holes your good there, it will be the motor that could be expensive. Compression test and spark jump test will tell you alot. From your pics, I think your 2K would be about right, for 3k you could find one with less work and a running motor. With that said, a quick check of the floors and transom might show they are still solid, Sylvan Doesn't use much wood other than the flooring and that is not hard to replace, and could be still solid yet, further testing is needed. Carpet will be junk, and some wiring upgrade will be needed. Good seats are not cheap! Interiors are time consuming but not hard to do. Get the motor tests and go from there. Could be an awesome project !!

Well, it looks good on the outside from a distance but, the interior looks abused. Maybe it was left out in the weather for several years. How’s the outboard look? If the owner didn’t care enough to store it with a boat cover I would be concerned that it the outboard was not maintained either.
He said it ran great last time out 5 years ago. Turning right was getting stiff, new steering cables are probably in order. Parked it outside for five years. The real question is why was it parked? Could be something as simple as the steering was trouble and he planned on fixing it "someday" which turned into five years of neglect. It didn't look particularly abused as much as neglected. Taking to him about the motor he seems to understand the work it needs before it gets in the water, hopefully that means he took care of it when he was using it I'll find out a lot more once I talk in person, I can normally get the story from people. I'm supposed to go see it Monday, so I'll have more information soon.

Starting with an aluminum hull over a glass hull is a smart move !! Alum boats are so much easier to do and a better return on your investment. Sylvan makes a good boat, I have owned a couple. As long as there is no damage to the hull like cracks or holes your good there, it will be the motor that could be expensive. Compression test and spark jump test will tell you alot. From your pics, I think your 2K would be about right, for 3k you could find one with less work and a running motor. With that said, a quick check of the floors and transom might show they are still solid, Sylvan Doesn't use much wood other than the flooring and that is not hard to replace, and could be still solid yet, further testing is needed. Carpet will be junk, and some wiring upgrade will be needed. Good seats are not cheap! Interiors are time consuming but not hard to do. Get the motor tests and go from there. Could be an awesome project !!
I'm not as worried about ROI as I am having a good usable boat for my needs. If it goes well this would be what I use until the kids are out of the house in 13 years. The motor is going to be the linchpin on this whole deal so I'll have to give it a good run through before I decide.

Thanks

I'm not as worried about ROI as I am having a good usable boat for my needs. If it goes well this would be what I use until the kids are out of the house in 13 years. The motor is going to be the linchpin on this whole deal so I'll have to give it a good run through before I decide.

Thanks

I agree with @airshot about aluminum boats and resale values. And I agree with you that ROI is way down my list of priorities when it comes to having a boat.

I would question the transom. Give the motor a good shake and see if it flexes. There should be very little deflection, if any.

I'd say cost wise you're in the ballpark at 3-5k, just depending on materials chosen. Carpet and plywood is not that expensive, but lumber composites and high end flooring like Seadek are.

Since it's been outside the flotation foam should be inspected as it can become waterlogged. That can add a lot of additional time and expense to the project.

I would question the transom. Give the motor a good shake and see if it flexes. There should be very little deflection, if any.

I'd say cost wise you're in the ballpark at 3-5k, just depending on materials chosen. Carpet and plywood is not that expensive, but lumber composites and high end flooring like Seadek are.

Since it's been outside the flotation foam should be inspected as it can become waterlogged. That can add a lot of additional time and expense to the project.
Thanks, I'll check out the shake method with the transom.

For now the plan would be marine plywood with three coats of sealer. I'd like to finish with marine vinyl as I prefer that to carpet. Seadek looks nice but I don't think spending that much makes sense right now.

I assume the foam is no good. I'll just plan on replacing it. If I open her up and it's immaculate then plans may change but I would think mice have been in the boat since it was stored outside. That foam would probably be mouse heaven.

I see XPS put in a lot of the boats on this forum. I'm thinking two part pour in would be better. XPS would be better against waterlogging. I'll have to do a little more research on the topic.

I hope 3-5k is a good range to be in the water. I know unexpected issues can always spiral things out of control.

I would never trust shaking the motor, you need to test the wood itself ! On my Sylvan the transom is enclosed in alluminum so a couple holes were drilled to check, but mine was stored inside its entire life. The only other wood is the decks that are covered with carpet (yech). Hate carpet but mine is still nice. The floor, decks should be easy to tell if they are soft, the transom might need a couple small test holes from the inside.