iv done this it works great

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ur right . It wont bother but ill try removing it . I dont think my boat will have wayer in cause its goong to be welded complietly

ok/ this wont be an issue.. check it out .

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 469
This is just a general statement. Liability issues. If you think you will ever sell your boat please consider using only Coast Guard approved foam and building techniques. Ultimately the Coast Guard regulations are for safety, but if you build a boat with non-approved flotation, and someone dies because of it, the builder can be held liable; it's called negligent homicide. The standards for upright and level flotation are pretty clear in the regulations as well as the type of flotation foam to be used. In this litigious society I would hate to see a hobbyist go to jail because someone got a burr under their saddle; and we all know it has nothing to do with common sense.

I don't know if the pink foam board from Home Depot is Coast Guard approved, I DO know that Great Stuff is NOT approved.

I am neither a fear monger nor an attorney so take this for what it is worth.

jirwin6985 said:
No but what you did say was that since when is your foam going to get soaked for days. What i was pointing out is that if your boat is outside and you have foam on the bottom it will. Because just because you pull the drain plug doesnt mean you boat will drain all the way out. It is very common for aluminum boats to hold and inch or two of water in the drains and never drain completly out. Wich means the foam will be sitting in water. I read your post and replyed to what you said. What your forgetting is that i stated an opinion and you decided to ask me a question. I wasnt talking directly to you to begin with just giving my opinion. Im trying to save to OP from alot of work and wasted energy. within a year if it can get wet that foam will get wet and tripple in weight within the year. Ive tried using it befor and it worked for a short while befor it added about 100lbs extra to my boat.
Joe
Edit; Just read the thread again and the OP already stated its absorbing water...whats it been 3 days..really sounds like its good stuff for boat building =D> =D> :roll:

I'm just talking from experience. As I've said multiple times, I've never had a problem with it, but sheet foam would be a better option. I'm not forcing anyone to put it in their boat, nor am I saying it works in every application. It has its place in a boat mod, and I think I've made that clear. I never suggested spaying it under the floors, actually I suggested the exact opposite.

dyeguy1212 said:
Nussy said:
Well I emailed Dow to get the scoop on Great Stuff. There website says it's a "closed cell polyurethane foam" which is what most of the other stuff is that's used for floatation.

Here's the response " Great Stuff is used to block air infiltration into homes. The product is water resistant but the product is not water proof."

I think any foam used will eventually hold water. The stuff I cut out of my boat was the factory original and the bottom two inches were soaked.......but the guy stored it outside in the rain, with no cover and the foam directly exposed to all the elements.

I think you would be find using Great stuff in areas that won't be sitting in water. My suggestion would be to use the pink building foam between the ribs on the floor. It's easier to work with and cheaper than the foam. Then use the foam in areas above the floor like a seat, etc.

Nice detective work.. I would have guessed they'd give an answer like that.

I'd go along with what you said though.. I think spray foam should only be used in places sheet foam cant, or in areas that are sealed from water. While I've never had an issue with great stuff getting soggy etc, its probably better not to risk it.

Plus sheet foam come in varying thicknesses, making it perfect for putting under floors.

dyeguy1212 said:
and most importantly, it keeps the drain grooves free

Rat said:
I don't know if the pink foam board from Home Depot is Coast Guard approved, I DO know that Great Stuff is NOT approved.

Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the home depot stuff isnt approved either :lol:

Lol take it easy guys all we know is if it didnt comme that way ! Its not cost gaurd approved. Whats approved these days . All we can do is make it just better not worse.

see above edited post and check the time stamps. I decided to delete it 10 minutes before your post, it an attempt to end the pissing match.

I'm done with this stuff man. I honestly think you are the one that needs to grow up. You're starting a pissing match on a jon boat forum over a debate about canned foam.

And now you're taking stabs at me like that? I don't think thats called for, nor do I appreciate it. I'm done posting, and I suggest you follow suit.

Gents , were here to suggest things to each other and help each other out '! Screw the can of foam '

Well i have posted few pics in my other posts what it use to look like ! U can check it out'. I replaced the rotten transome piece the front i replaced also ! The front seated area i replaced the rotten wood ' im makong a bench in the back putting flooring down and styroofoam . Everything is going to be out of aluminum ' i dont know if i will carpet it. And hopfully im going to weld some stuff this weekend . Well cee how thongs turnaround

The closed cell stuff should not cause you a problem. Commercial boat builders have been using it for years

U are right about that but they refiberglass it so thers no water contact with the foam ! Im not worried i only put just a little not even a can