Lanier 6/6

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bassboy1 said:
I may take you up on that. Are the whites schooling up Lanier right now, as they are on 'Toona? It's a blast to go out there for about an hour from first sunlight, and chase schooling whites around, often catching on every cast. The action is usually gone after about an hour, once the sun gets a little higher, so you can't make a trip out of it, but starting the day with them before moving on sure is fun.

Whites are like the LM on Lanier..... All but extinct. Ever since the bluebacks were introduced, in conjunction with low water flow, the white bass population has diminished.

Brine said:
bassboy1 said:
I may take you up on that. Are the whites schooling up Lanier right now, as they are on 'Toona? It's a blast to go out there for about an hour from first sunlight, and chase schooling whites around, often catching on every cast. The action is usually gone after about an hour, once the sun gets a little higher, so you can't make a trip out of it, but starting the day with them before moving on sure is fun.

Whites are like the LM on Lanier..... All but extinct. Ever since the bluebacks were introduced, in conjunction with low water flow, the white bass population has diminished.

Shows how often I get up there. :roll:

I was camping at victoria last weekend and we boated about 30 in an hour, it was fun with 4lb test. We caught them at night and early in the morning. Still thought maybe a striper would be mixed in with them, but no luck.

Brine said:
bassboy1 said:

Do the Blue Backs eat the same bait fish as the whites?

Troutman3000 said:
Brine said:
bassboy1 said:

Do the Blue Backs eat the same bait fish as the whites?
Bluebacks are the bait fish. Blueback herring. They are an invasive species that eat the eggs, fry, and food that game fish eat. They've had a major negative impact on Nottely and Burton. Hence why you see all the signs on the lakes that don't have them forbidding their use as bait.

Poolie Im located in THE queen city of charlotte NC.. :lol: but my grandfathers got a nice house right on lanier and my sister just moved down there to teach so they both live in cumming GA. I come there pretty often and I was going to come down this weekend but decided to travel to Raleigh instead so i can went some lines with CNCBA a local bass fishing club here.

poolie said:
Queencitybassman said:
That would be awesome I hear lanier is suppose to be one of the best striper lakes on the east coast so id like to catch some bigguns there.. man there is a lot of georgia guys on this site

Shhhhhh..... we're taking over ;-)

Which Queen City as you located in?

Me and my wife have often talked about getting out of MI.... I even had a job offer once and didn't take it for fear of change. #-o

Bassboy -

When I was catching the white bass I noticed some very small minnows, I mean no more than an inch or two, coming from the mouths of the whites. So I just assumed that the herring would eat those too. Besieds eggs what do the herrings feed on?

Troutman3000 said:
Bassboy -

When I was catching the white bass I noticed some very small minnows, I mean no more than an inch or two, coming from the mouths of the whites. So I just assumed that the herring would eat those too. Besieds eggs what do the herrings feed on?

Little fish, including gamefish fry, as well as bugs, and from what I've read, they'll eat plankton and such, like shad do. I doubt they would shy away from a small minner.

So yes, your assumption that they, besides eating the fry and eggs, are also eating the food supply for the whites is probably very true.

Supposedly the bass (spots mostly, bluebacks apparently harm the LM population) and stripes/hybrids absolutely love bluebacks, which could be part of the reason Lanier is such a good spot and striper fishery.

We don't have them down here in Allatoona, and I've spent way too much of the past few years stuck on Allatoona (we have so many better lakes within an hours drive, yet I still fish this stupid lake), so I really can't tell you much more about them than what I have above.

bassboy1 said:
Supposedly the bass (spots mostly, bluebacks apparently harm the LM population) and stripes/hybrids absolutely love bluebacks, which could be part of the reason Lanier is such a good spot and striper fishery

bluebacks are why the largemouth in yahoola are so freaking huge....

spots are the biggest threat to largemouth - spots will eat any and everything (including small fry largemouth) starving out the largemouth

Troutman,

Here is one of many discussions on GON about the white bass on Lanier. https://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=492089&highlight=white+bass+lanier

Glad to hear you found them. They sure are lots of fun when you do. 10-15 years ago, you could go up the Chestatee around April and catch 100 a day on a rooster tail, and I did. Although they are still there, it's nothing like it was 10 years ago, and everything I've read says it will only get worse.

Truth is, I'd rather catch 1 20# Striper than 20 white bass. That's just me.

russ010 said:
bassboy1 said:
Supposedly the bass (spots mostly, bluebacks apparently harm the LM population) and stripes/hybrids absolutely love bluebacks, which could be part of the reason Lanier is such a good spot and striper fishery

spots are the biggest threat to largemouth - spots will eat any and everything (including small fry largemouth) starving out the largemouth

Agreed.

Spots really take a hold of deep water forage. Traditionally where the big LM would live away from the banks and fishing pressure, and the LM simply can't compete for food with the schools of spots. Not to mention the affect the spots have on the LM spawn. There are few lakes that can sustain a good population of both, and usually once the spots get introduced, the LM population begin to dwindle.

Plenty of lakes have proven this.

russ010 said:
bassboy1 said:

Hence the reason I have only caught one LM in Lanier. I mean LM are cool as a trophy but Stripers and Spots are way more fun to catch imo. Plus I dont really know any lakes tha I can go catch quality LM consistently.

Troutman3000 said:
Plus I dont really know any lakes tha I can go catch quality LM consistently.

Not too many people that can say that. Even the pros.

That said, you live near a bunch that I would call good.

Tribble, Black Shoals, Varner, Stone Mountain, Yargo, and now.... Bear Creek.

I know all of them have double digit bass swimming in them as we speak. I just need to learn how to catch them :LOL2:

I've seen plenty of 5+ come out of all of them within the last 2 years, and I've caught a 5+ out of all of them (except Black Shoals which I know has plenty) in the past year.

Striper are fun to catch and delicious to eat but I prefer the type of fishing where I find the fish not my baitfish or waiting around for a fish to find my cutbait. I think large mouths can thrash and pull just like spots.. especially catching them at night

Queencitybassman said:
Striper are fun to catch and delicious to eat but I prefer the type of fishing where I find the fish not my baitfish or waiting around for a fish to find my cutbait. I think large mouths can thrash and pull just like spots.. especially catching them at night

90% of the stripers I've caught on Lanier have been casting lures to them. Redfins and fishhead spins which I always have rigged when spot fishing. If I was targeting the stripers, it's been trolling an umbrella or free lining a blue back.

And I assure you this, a 5# spot would pull a 5# largemouth wherever it wanted if their tails were tied together.

Queencitybassman said:
It all weighs the same in a tournament

Agreed, My comment came from you saying..."I think large mouths can thrash and pull just like spots.. especially catching them at night"

:beer:

Hah yeah well I was talking about a 7lb large mouth or a 2 pound spot lol.. We dont have many spots where I am so i got minimal experience with them caught a few but nothing to remember

Latest posts