Lowe 1448

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what you're doing fellow. If it turns out as nice as the last pic you posted you'll have a heck of fishing machine.

Gamakatsu said:
I got a question. When building the frame for the front deck I'm considering using 2x2s or 2x4s. Reason being, there free. Aluminum I got to buy. So does anyone think this might add to much extra weight up front?

I used 2x2's and they are plenty strong. I weigh 205lbs and a friend of mine is 275lbs we both can stand on it fine.

Here is the link to my build. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299&hilit=swamp+sled&start=25

front deck pics are one page 2.

We've got a similar mod going on. I'm going to be following your progress.

I just bought a 25hp 4stroke Yammy for my 1448. I was worried about the weight too...but it handles it just fine.

I'd keep the 4 stroke a just put some pods on the back. Making it nose heavy is just going to make it that much slower and draft deeper...

Jamie

The 2x2s are pine. That's all we use at work is pine. Its pretty light and id assume with a nice coat of watersealer it'd do the job.

Just finished my project and have been on the water 3 times. Couldn't be happier. I just posted it tonight. Here is the link if you want to check it out. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20384 :mrgreen:

Gamakatsu said:
I got a question. When building the frame for the front deck I'm considering using 2x2s or 2x4s. Reason being, there free. Aluminum I got to buy. So does anyone think this might add to much extra weight up front?

I'm sure you are beyond this point but aluminum bracing doesn't have to be expensive to buy. Troll around the pawn shops for an old beat up aluminum ladder for cheap and chop it up. Or keep an eye open for a building or the like in your area being tore down. There is a lot more things out there made of aluminum that could be used in a boat than you may think. On my mod, I used an old RV awning that had the tarp rotted out. My buddy just replaced the whole thing and the old frame was perfect sizes at 2" x 2".

Getting as many freebies as possible in anyway keeps the door open to buy the good expensive toys to go with the boat! :wink:

Latest posts