Building Gunnel Storage on a 1662 Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey_714

Reaction score
I have a Monark "1662'ish" jon boat that I've been getting ready for duck season this year and just looking for any advice before I get started on this part. I searched for gunnel storage on the forum and couldn't find much (I may just be bad at searching). I want to add some gunnel storage to the boat to keep things out of the way for hunting purposes (gun cases, anchor, emergency supplies, backpacks etc). I'm 100% sure I want the storage on the 01 (port?) side of the boat, and 50/50 if I want it on the 02 (starboard?) side.

I have approximately 57 inches on the floor between the side-ribs. I have 2 4x8' sheets of aluminum/plastic sandwich sign board. IF I decide to build storage on both sides, I plan on centering a sheet directly in the middle of the boat, leaving approximately 4.5" floor space on each side, and that's where my gunnel storage would start. Techinically I only lose 9" of floor space but obviously it will "feel" like more than that because of the slanted sides I'm losing.

My questions:

1) To anyone who's built something like this, is there anything you wish you would have known before you started? Any tips you'd give?

2) Advice on materials. The wife has already hinted that I'm spending too much $$ on this project, so I'm trying to keep the rest of the costs low. Is it a bad idea to use 2x2" lumber or similar for the framing? I don't want to add a ton of weight, but I do want to be able to walk on top of this. The walls will most likely be sandwich board and sealed plywood. The top will have hydroturf on it.

*The floor does have a slight "V". I will be keeping the V instead of building it flat. Reason being, I'm putting 2" foam between the ribs and placing my flexible flooring on top of that. Making it flat will require me to change my entire plan AND cost more.

IMAG0314.jpg

New.jpg

I like the layout of that boat for what you want to do. I can't give you advice on specifics, but personally I would want lockers on both sides of the boat. You can never have too much storage, especially duck hunting.

Thanks Jethro. I do believe I'm going with storage on both sides. I'm starting on the project tomorrow and I'll post pictures of my progress in case anyone is interested in the future.