motor aint starting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
i jsut got a 1968 20 hp johnson that i cant get to start for some reason, i never had a issuse with it before but i jsut got it out of storage and now it wont start i tried it for 2 days now any pointers HELP!!!

it has spark i dont think it is getting gas cause i put starting fluid in the carb and then it started but died right away, i think it was running only on the starting fluid. i think it needs a new fuel pump

diabetik11 said:
it has spark i dont think it is getting gas cause i put starting fluid in the carb and then it started but died right away, i think it was running only on the starting fluid. i think it needs a new fuel pump
Clean the carb out. This just happened to me.

I agree, clean the carb and test again before you start throwing parts at it. And don't use starting fluid on a 2 cycle engine. As tempting as it may be, it washes any oil off the bearings and then the motor has no lube at all, and that's a very bad thing even for a few seconds.

I just picked up a power reel mower for a song that the previous owner couldn't get to start after taking it out of storage. He replaced the gas in the tank and it will only sputter after priming the carb. I figured it was so cheap that it would be a fun project. I sprayed carb cleaner down the throat of the carb and let it sit overnight. It started on about the third pull the next day and ran so well it didn't want to stop! :shock: Carb rebuild in the near future!

thats what i plan on doing i am bringing it to a guy to do for me he like s doing this kind of thing he is retired but loves working on motors

Latest posts