Mucho Dinero!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Man did I need this.... It's been tough going lately with lots of personal unpleasantries of late. Earlier in the week, my brother asked if I wanted to bring the boys down to the hunt camp to do some fishing. I've been to the lake a handful of times and have caught some decent fish, lost a few gooduns, and had some days that I just couldn't figure them out. It's a bit of a drive compared to a few lakes I normally take the kids to fish, and I know that if the fish aren't biting, it can get a bit boring out on the boat for a 8 and 9 yr old. Last time we came, I brought some crickets as insurance, and while I stayed after the green fish, my kids had a blast catching a bunch of blue gill. So, on the way down.... I figured I'd stop and pick up some crappie minnows because I've been told there are quite a few in the lake. I know nothing about catching crappie, but I knew that just having a bucket of minnows in the boat would buy me several hours of bass fishing while the kids played with the bait. :mrgreen:

The day started off with me throwing a swimbait around with a nice one biting in the first 30 minutes.

70c9f575.jpg

About 10 minutes later, I had one take a swipe at it and missed and picked up my jig and through it at the fish and whammo! A solid 5-6# fish.

b49a814d.jpg

Seeing how this would be my best fish of the trip, my cameraman decided to have a slight mishap with his picture taking skills, and I didn't bother to check it until after I had released the fish :LOL2: So, you'll just have to use your imagination. :lol:

All the while, my kids have been casting and drifting their minnows to every conceivable direction without a pull down, so I decided to find some deepwater in hopes that I could find some of the crappie bunched up. I get out to the deepest part of the lake, cast out the jig and.... bam

bc6168b2.jpg

Another cast...

ed91d483.jpg

I then tell my kids to reel in, and let me tie them on a new bait. I knew if I was catching them on the jig, one of them should get bit on a shaky head. My youngest isn't too eager to relinquish the minnow fishing (he's a more visual/topwater/bobber kinda guy), but my oldest is eager for a change. I tie on a shaky head to his rod, hook on a trickworm, and with a short "how-to" seminar.... he's making his first cast. As he casts out, I remember getting a pack of Dinero worms from Get Five Lures (one of our sponsors here) and how I've been wanting to try them out. I'm not much on shaky head fishing (unless I was tournament fishing for a limit :wink: ) so I haven't thought of using them (haven't fished any tourneys lately). I got a couple bags last year and decided that today was the day. After turning the boat inside out :roll: I found them and told my son to give me his rod. I make a quick swap from the trickworm to the Dinero and my son casts back out. He had managed 3-4 casts before I found the Dinero's and I remember thinking.... Am I gunna have to tie on a jig to his rod for him to get bit? On his first cast with the Dinero, the rod goes down!

1ae420f7.jpg

Now my youngest is ready to abandon the minners :LOL2: I get him and tied up and first cast!

81f0b76d.jpg

What followed was pure father/sons fishing bliss....

8b71ce04.jpg

46a6b1d5.jpg

6c939fd7.jpg

81f0b76d.jpg

1ae420f7.jpg

76f7a793.jpg

da43ac86.jpg

4d51ba4f.jpg

A new personal best!

06257565.jpg

And another new personal best!

3ad19f38.jpg

And a stud crappie on the Dinero!

91f7e1c7.jpg

Guess what my kids wan't for their Birthdays???

MUCHO DINERO'S :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

well... my dinero secret is out of the bag!

looks like an awesome time man! I wish I had thrown that some last weekend during our tourney up on Carters when I was fishing the big boat tournaments out of my jon boat... I had 3 spots for 9.5lbs, and would have won had I had 2 more fish...

One trick... cut the tail off and use it as your jig trailer with the big side on bottom. They wear that thing out on Bass Patrol jigs this time of year

Thanks guys.

Russ, I'm not going to leak out El Dinero over on the other site. I might be fishing against those guys soon. :LOL2:

Here are a few more from that day...

13a894b3.jpg

e3fac28d.jpg

c173ecf2.jpg

04f9294c.jpg

e98d96aa.jpg

Jim, I caught several on your jigs! I need more!

Awesome report! Nothing like catching em with your father! (or son I would assume!) Keep em at it!

Jeff

Thanks gillhunter.

I can only hope it's as meaningful to them someday as it is to me today. Every moment spent with them in the boat means the world to me.