MV 1648 NCS Sierra turned into a poor mans bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slough Runner said:
spywiz1 said:
Just curious, if the wife ain't around. What was the total cost of all mods? That's what everyone wants to know. :)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I already had the motor so I'm not including that. I got the boat for a $1,000 off regular price and paid just under $1,900. Plus $1,100 for the trailer. As for the rest I kept a running tally in the beginning but then stopped keeping track after all the major purchases where made. I believe I was around $8,000 at that point. This isn't including wiring, paint, supplies to install and secure everything, hydro turf, custom boat cover, and I'm sure a few things that I've forgotten. All in all I could have gone out and bought a true 16ft fiberglass bass boat for what I have in this but what would be he fun in that. It's unique and I built it. Can't put a price tag on that.

I tend to look at it as getting the boat you want without being locked into a loan or having to fork over a ton of cash all at once. You can make it as fancy and as expensive as you want at your own pace.

Slough Runner said:
My wiring mess. It will get cleaned up eventually.
The Grey wiring. Is that standard romex? Household electricity type. What connections was it used for? I love your wiring. Just starting on mine. Trying to get some ideas.

Slough Runner said:
Getting closer.
Can you explain the connections and wire gages in these two pics. I know I'm asking lots of questions, but, you seem to know what you are doing.

After reading through this it's really driven home the fact that I need to learn to TIG weld.

Fantastic build. I hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a Grizzly 1754 with the same layout but the ribs are exposed. I want a rod locker like yours and a deck extension and the ribs covered in aluminum. Off the top of your head what would you say the rod locker and all would cost to have built? I got a quote on extending the deck and doing the floor for 900 bucks using smooth aluminum sheets .125 thick.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Search perforated aluminum on here and there a guy with a jet motor that has that as a floor. Cuts down on weight and it doesn't get as hot. If your going to spend the money get the best for it.

spywiz1 said:
Slough Runner said:
My wiring mess. It will get cleaned up eventually.
The Grey wiring. Is that standard romex? Household electricity type. What connections was it used for? I love your wiring. Just starting on mine. Trying to get some ideas.

I'm sure your past the wiring stage. Sorry for the late response but maybe someone reading this will find it useful. I had no house hold wiring used on my boat. The used a lot of two strand, three strand and four strand wiring of different gauges with protective coating. I do a lot of wiring on trailers and cars at work so I had access to all that I needed. For my connections everything was used with best shrink tubing and crimp connectors. I used some water proof male and female plugs also. I always kept my gauge wires bigger than the expected load...better safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Crankbait said:
I got a Grizzly 1754 with the same layout but the ribs are exposed. I want a rod locker like yours and a deck extension and the ribs covered in aluminum. Off the top of your head what would you say the rod locker and all would cost to have built? I got a quote on extending the deck and doing the floor for 900 bucks using smooth aluminum sheets .125 thick.

I used a thicker gauge for my deck and kids for the rod lockers. I didn't think the added weight was too much. My old man is a bit heavier than me and I built it to withstand his present on the boat. I would say $900 is a little high but not out of the ball park. The deck done right isn't too bad. It really depends on the rod locker and how custom it is made. Mine follows the angle of my boat and isn't just a box that would fit the next guys boat. So it really depends on how the rod locker is made on wether or not $900 is a good price. I'd say it better be a nice rod locker for that price. Good luck with the build man...1754 is a great sized boat...wish mine was bigger some days.

Well the 900 was just to extend the deck back like 2 or 2.5ft and lay the floor in it. I changed my mind about bringing the deck back that far. It's nice to have all the open room in the floor. It's the jon model so it has the normal size deck up front and a bench seat in the back so everything in the middle is open.

Crankbait said:
Well the 900 was just to extend the deck back like 2 or 2.5ft and lay the floor in it. I changed my mind about bringing the deck back that far. It's nice to have all the open room in the floor. It's the jon model so it has the normal size deck up front and a bench seat in the back so everything in the middle is open.

Yea...the deck on that boat is pretty good size. Post some pics when you get it done.

Your casting seat haha that's what they're called when you look it up! Would you prefer that over a standard casting seat?

Catch Release Repeat said:
Your casting seat haha that's what they're called when you look it up! Would you prefer that over a standard casting seat?

First time using it was this past year. Best decision ever getting it. It was super comfortable and easy on my back. I spent 80% standing and the rest lowering it to sit. Great set up.

Good to know. Some soft of casting seat/leaning post is what I'm after. Wanted the tempress casting seat to match my other new seats but they're out of stock everywhere that has then for a decent price. Sometime this spring I'll pull the trigger on something.