my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turne032

Reaction score
i guess i will start this section showing my boat

this is my motor. 1998 Johnson 60 hp, with high comp heads, and tuned exhaust
2naqopk.jpg

i just took my boat and polished it.
1g5yc.jpg

its a 17x48 exterminator made by legend craft boats, with 60 gauge sides and a 80 guage bottom

i run mostly on the current river in southern missouri. we have a 40 hp limit due to the national scenic riverways. due to the jet pump reducing hp by 20% we can run a 60 hp motor.

cheers
turner032

Well I guess we are off and rolling. Welcome Turner. Where exactly are you located? I'm in PB. Nice boat BTW.

Also spread the word, that this forum is here. Jim started it for us lets use it.

Real sharp looking boat.
Do you have the 40hp cowling to keep people quite?
Welcome to the site.

Zum said:
Real sharp looking boat.
Welcome to the site.

I can answer that I think. Most people that run 60s have them badged as 40s (cause they are with the pump) and that way the Authoriti doesn't raise too much of a stink due to the 40hp limit on the Current river. I know that when my motor gets painted that none of the 50 badges will be back. LOL

Thanks for the invite Codeman.

Here is my boat. It's a 1996 WeldBilt (1852) w/08 Merc 60/40 4-stroke.

99% of the time I'm on the lower Black River from Clearwater Dam to the Mill Springs bridge.

Attachments

• IMGP1203.jpg
    IMGP1203.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 4,264
  • IMGP1179.jpg
    IMGP1179.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 4,263
  • IMGP1178.jpg
    IMGP1178.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 4,264
Zum said:
Real sharp looking boat.
Welcome to the site.

The horsepower rating is measured at the jet foot...or prop...which ever it may be. My factory 08 Merc is titled as a 40hp.

Toby

Hey Toby glad you made it over. You know Skeeter Law? I'm pretty sure he hangs out on that part of the river up around Piedmont. I'd like to come up there and run that part of the river one of these days.

Just another good 'ole MO boy showin' off his stuff here. It's an '06 MV1756RR, 115/80 Merc jet,MotorGuide TM,Lowrance x47/bow;x67c/stern.Not the biggest or fastest,but suits us perfectly.We usually hang on the Meramac,Gasconade and Big rivers,mostly the Big since it's only 5-25mins. away,depending on where you want to go. Steve

Attachments

• P5180024_01.jpg
    P5180024_01.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 3,175
  • P5180026.JPG
    P5180026.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 3,321
  • PA170528.JPG
    PA170528.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,322
  • P9060405.JPG
    P9060405.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 3,322
Codeman said:
You know Skeeter Law? I'm pretty sure he hangs out on that part of the river up around Piedmont.

Does he have a big flat bottom with aqua colored interior with a late model Mercury...I believe a 150hp Black Max?

If so, I know of him. I've talked to him a few times. He seams to be a nice guy. His place is about 3-4 miles down river from mine. I very rarely see him fishing and I often wondered if he heads down river from his place. Like I said, I typically run from the dam to Mill Springs which is about 10miles…so pass his place quite often.

Codeman said:
I'd like to come up there and run that part of the river one of these days.

You should check it out sometime...though don't bring any big crowds with you. [-X Just kiddin'...the river is typically very quiet. Easy flowing without a lot of boat traffic...occasional canoe floats pass by. It is fairly easy to easy to navigate only a few REAL shallow spots. The only real concerns are a few logs...mostly located in the tight bends of the river which make running wide open through these areas fun...that is if you know where to put the boat.

Our place has been in the family for over 40yrs. I've been playing on the river for about 25yrs now. I started when I was about 10yrs old in 1440 flatbottom and air cooled 7.5hp on a home made lift.

Toby

S&MFISH said:
Just another good 'ole MO boy showin' off his stuff here. It's an '06 MV1756RR, 115/80 Merc jet,MotorGuide TM,Lowrance x47/bow;x67c/stern.Not the biggest or fastest,but suits us perfectly.We usually hang on the Meramac,Gasconade and Big rivers,mostly the Big since it's only 5-25mins. away,depending on where you want to go. Steve

Nice boat. How fast does that 115 push you?

I was surprised when you said you run the Big River. I've been on the Big River one time, long ago, in a buddies smaller 1648 w/Merc 2-stroke 60/40. We put in somewhere just south of Hillsboro. It was scariest, white knuckle, ride I have ever been on. He used everything but the bottom of that boat navigating that skinny, log filled water. I had never experienced a guy work a boat like he did. We caught a ton of smallmouth…it was worth it. Though about a month later he darned near ripped the entire transom off his boat attempting to ride his own wave over a shallow root wad. As I was told, it caught him by surprise and he was already committed. He briefly shut
it down to push water then hammered the throttle…didn’t quite make it.

Toby, She'll run right at 40mph on glass smooth water.Usually tops out around 35-37on normal water.Thats about as fast as I care to go on the river anyway.I here you about the white knuckle stuff. Things come up on you pretty fast on the Big.I haven't been in too tight of spots yet.Scraped a few times,but nothing big.I think that's the fun fo the Big though,the RIDE.I always run upstream, then float back fishing. One of my buddies,has a 19ft Triton w/200 merc,his heart races and gets adrenaline rush every time he rides on the Big with me.I don't do stupid stuff, but don't let the river stop me from going whereI want.It's pretty cool,as you know, to Go where some will NEVER go. Steve

Toby from MO said:
Does he have a big flat bottom with aqua colored interior with a late model Mercury...I believe a 150hp Black Max?

If so, I know of him. I've talked to him a few times. He seams to be a nice guy. His place is about 3-4 miles down river from mine. I very rarely see him fishing and I often wondered if he heads down river from his place. Like I said, I typically run from the dam to Mill Springs which is about 10miles…so pass his place quite often.

You should check it out sometime...though don't bring any big crowds with you. [-X Just kiddin'...the river is typically very quiet. Easy flowing without a lot of boat traffic...occasional canoe floats pass by. It is fairly easy to easy to navigate only a few REAL shallow spots. The only real concerns are a few logs...mostly located in the tight bends of the river which make running wide open through these areas fun...that is if you know where to put the boat.

Our place has been in the family for over 40yrs. I've been playing on the river for about 25yrs now. I started when I was about 10yrs old in 1440 flatbottom and air cooled 7.5hp on a home made lift.

Toby

Yeah that is him. He lives around the corner from me. Not to mention he has an a shop here in the Bluff that services outboards. Real nice guy he has helped me out a bunch getting my old turd running.

That part of the river sounds perfect for me then. I'm a beginner I just got my first jet and its only been in the water once. I'm bringing back a long forgotten old boat that needed a lot of TLC. Here is how I got started. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4674

Boat looks great Codeman...good work. I was a little leery at the beginning of your post but I read the entire thread and it looks great. You guys did some good work. You definitely want to get yourself a kill switch and lanyard.

The next thing you'll figure out is just how thirsty these jet rigs are…especially the 2-strokes. You’ll probably see about 1-2 miles per gallon. When I had my 40/28 2-stroke I would burn anywhere from 20-30 gallons over a two day weekend…typical playing/fishing…giving the kids a few boat rides. Now I have the 4-stroke I have yet to burn a full tank (12gal) over a two day weekend with the same use. Not to mention it is whisper quiet.

Maybe I’ll see you on the river this summer.

Toby

Latest posts