My Custom Fishing Machine 18'-0" Flat Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I know its been posted on here before, but where can I get on of those stickers too? I would love to slap one on my boat. This site has helped me so much.

ChitownBasser said:
Sorry, I know its been posted on here before, but where can I get on of those stickers too? I would love to slap one on my boat. This site has helped me so much.

Send Jim a PM

The boat looks great PB. That's the longest TM shaft I've ever seen :shock: =D>

Poormans Boatright said:
Why do you think it is excessive?

It may not be for what you need it for. But just looking at the picks, it looks cumbersome and in the way to me. I thought maybe you guide bowfishing trips and wanted extra safety. Not knocking, just trying to understand it. Boat has some really awesome features.

Rails do not get in the way nor hamper my fishing in anyway. As you guesed they are to keep people in and not overboard. This boat is used in Galveston Bay, where sometimes the water can get rough for a jon boat. With the raised deck, I wanted to feel a little more secure than not having nothing at all. It works for me.

Ordered me a cover for the boat from Eagle Carports, I am very pleased with it and the price was right, it was right around $900.00 delivered and installed. Initially I was gonna park the Jon under it but then I thought I'd better park the more expensive Wellcraft under it for now. I plan on ordering another one soon for my Jon, but for now this heavy tarp will do.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,028
  • cover 2.jpg
    cover 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,028
Well, me and my wife were going to take the boat out this past Friday, but I got no further than the end drive way and my axle broke almost completely in half. I knew the axle was rusty, but I had no idea it was this bad. Luckily it happened in the driveway and not on the highway cause this could have got real ugly. The reason I am showing this is to remind all of you to check your trailer axles, bearings, springs and tires so no one has a bad experience on the road, I was real fortunate. I'm thinking about replacing the axle with a stainless one when I find time to repair the trailer, I think I have some 2" stainless pipe in the shop I can build one from. If I decide to go this route I'll be sure to take pics in case someone is interested in building their own axle, I don't know if this has been covered on this forum or not.

Attachments

• broke axle.jpg
    broke axle.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,596
  • close up of wheel.jpg
    close up of wheel.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,596
  • broke axle on boat.jpg
    broke axle on boat.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,596
Wow, that is a lot of rust. Looks like the whole suspension is ready to be replaced. **** saltwater, gotta pay to catch all that variety and size of fish.
Tim

Dang you and I must have the same luck, My axle broke when I was taking the boat out for her maiden voyage. I was only about 100 yards from the house and was able to get it back without to much hassle. The axle was the only thing I didn't replace while working on the trailer. #-o

Yea, Earl I bought this trailer second hand and never really looked underneath real close, I'm gonna replace the whole suspension.

Fool, guess we both got lucky we were not on the highway when the axle broke.

I dug around the shop and found a piece of 2" stainless pipe, I'm gonna go ahead and make me a axle from it. I'm also going to replace the springs and all hardware.

Wow you were so fortunate, thank your luck for that...like you said it coulda got nasty if this happened on the highway or road...Nice build sir... =D> Do you take this boat offshore as well or no?

Been a while, but I got my broken axle fixed and now I'm ready to get back on the water. I posted the axle build in the trailer section if anyone is interested in building their own:https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26071

Took the wife and dogs for a boat ride Saturday, but I plan on getting in on some fishing now that the trailer is fixed.

Attachments

• tracy.jpg
    tracy.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,493
  • tracy and dogs.jpg
    tracy and dogs.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • water shot.jpg
    water shot.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • water shot2.jpg
    water shot2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,493
  • installed 3.jpg
    installed 3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,493
I must admit, it took me a while to find the TinBoats sticker. :LOL2:

Glad to hear the trailer is fixed, and thanks for sharing the pics. What body of water is that?

Been a while since my last post. I had to replace my carpeted bunks and all bunk hardware recently as the mounting brackets and bolts were rusty. I bought all new galvanized u-bolts and bunk brackets along with 16'-0" treated 2x4's. I didn't want to go back with carpet so as to avoid corrosion on the bottom of the hull. I searched around for the trailer glide sticks, yea they are a neat item, but to cover 32'-0" of trailer bunk it can get expensive. I knew there had to be a cheaper alternative so I searched around, thinkin some kind of heavy plastic strips would do just as good. I stopped into my local Lowe's and in the lumber section I found these pvc boards. https://www.lowes.com/pd_238344-998...96&Ntt=pvc+lumber&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo= Hey, these would work perfect and the price was right. So I bought 2 12'-0" boards and one 8'-0" board for less than $60.00. All I did was drill the pvc boards and then counter sunk and small hole on the top so the stainless screws would not stick out past the top of the board and scratch the bottom of the boat. I know what you might be thinking, how durable are they? I had a small piece of scrap left over so to test how strong the material is, I beat it with a big hammer to see what it would take, beating it on a flat surface such as my vise the material only dented in, only after several blows did the material break apart. That being said it is my belief that this material is plenty strong for any Jon boat. I have launched my boat several times and the material seems to be holding up well. Only time will tell how well they hold up. Here's some updated pics.

Attachments

• putting on trailer.jpg
    putting on trailer.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,425
  • view from front.jpg
    view from front.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,425
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,425
  • completed bunks.jpg
    completed bunks.jpg