My first project. 1963 Alumacraft 16' V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of seat bases did you use?

I love how you covered them up with the carpet...nice clean look....Let me know how you did this...

Love it!!

Still waiting on the finished product pic's... :beer:

How much did the decking dampen sound from what it used to be? My boat, which is just like yours, is a bit loud when out fishing. I was thinking about adding some type of foam on the walls under my decking.

Also, do you like the carpet you chose, if you had it to do over would you choose the same carpet?

I appreciate your responses, I just haven't seen a boat just like mine on here and you are helping me answer alot of questions. Along with giving me another bunch of Ideas.

I'm waiting on the finished pictures too! :roll: Now that I have the floor and front deck done I can't help but take it out and fish! I've had it out a handful of times now and I absolutely love it. Except for having to sit on a five gallon bucket to drive #-o But I might take this weekend off from fishing and see if I can make progress on the back deck.

The seat bases I used were from bass pro, I think the Lock n Pin ones. Since I had to buy four (one for the front deck, two in the floor, and one more going on the back deck) it got a bit pricey. To make the carpet go over the bases, a router was was used on the deck/floor in the shape and depth of the base. Then screwed down and carpeted over to make a clean look. I've seen real bass boats from the manufacturer that don't provide this feature, but I think it makes it look really nice and clean.

As far as the noise...I can't compare as I never had the boat out before I did the conversion. With all the bracing I do think it helps and haven't noticed it being a problem thus far.

I do like the carpet I chose. Mainly because of the price :lol: and because it looked good. Got it at Menards. It does get really hot though in the sun, I mean REALLY hot! That is one of the down sides, but it seems to be durable. Right now its covered in dog hair as I had my lab out last time with me :roll:

Next step is getting the motor to run properly, having a little fuel issue that I need to work on. But it gets me from A to B, so I can't complain!

I know the feeling, I just need to get started on my boat and can't quit fishing long enough to get it going.

I don't think there is a carpet out there that doesn't get hot. Especially down here in Georgia!

My other big hold-up is saving up for the Bow mounted trolling motor. I don't want to build a deck and everything else and not be able to sit up front and troll with it. Now I have a transom mount trolling motor and have to fish and do everything from the back of the boat. ](*,)

Maybe this Winter I can start on it and have it ready to go by spring time. Down here you can boat fish year round, but during the slow months I think I can get it done.

Good luck with your motor, I have the original 64 Johnson 18hp that came with the boat and it still purrrs like a kitten.

Thanks for the info, looking forward to you getting rid of that bucket! :beer:

Man that looks great I have a 16 ft I was wanting to do something like tht with, how much did all that run you? An question is your motor a short shaft cause I picked up a short shaft when my boat needs a long shaft an I need to make some adjustments to make it work

Carpet turned out great. I like the cooler idea. And also the recessed trolling motor foot control is a great idea. It is turning out to be a great project, keep us posted.

Well I made a lot of progress on the rear deck over the weekend. Built all the supports and cut the deck and deck lids. Hopefully I can continue to work on it this week and have it ready soon. Heading up to Wisconsin Friday night for a club tourney, so not sure if I'll get to finish it this week. I took pics and I'll post them tonight. I did run into one problem, and that was how get my fuel tank in and out while keeping the configuration of deck lids that I wanted. Well after about two hours staring at the boat ](*,) I finally came up with the solution. Hard to describe without the pics so I'll wait until tonight. Thanks for all the kind words, it's turning out to be one hell of a FISHING MACHINE!!!!

5SF-Doc said:
Man that looks great I have a 16 ft I was wanting to do something like tht with, how much did all that run you? An question is your motor a short shaft cause I picked up a short shaft when my boat needs a long shaft an I need to make some adjustments to make it work

Ya know...I'm not sure :oops: I'm not to familiar with outboards, the one on the boat is the one that came with it. The bottom of the prop extends about a foot below the bottom of the boat, so I'm thinking it's a short shaft. I know the difference is the length of the shaft (enter joke here) but I'm not sure as what length qualifies it as short or long. Maybe you can let me know???

5SF-Doc said:
Man that looks great I have a 16 ft I was wanting to do something like tht with, how much did all that run you?

I'm not sure yet, but I have all the receipts. I'm not sure if I want to add it up though, because then I'll have a definite number to tell the wife, and right now I can still throw around some smaller numbers :lol: :lol: :lol:

5SF-Doc said:

I have the same boat, it takes a long shaft motor due to how deep the boat is.

Yea I figured that out after I bought a nice motor an it's a short shaft so looks like I'm cutting the back done

Here's the progress on the rear deck. Need to put Thompsons on the wood and then carpet.

Rear-Deck.jpg

Rear-Deck-No-Lids.jpg

Rear-Framing.jpg

Rear-Deck-Framing-2.jpg

Looks great!

I was thinking about one full width compartment door across the back with a piano hinge to get my fuel tank in and out easily.

Fish Fighter said:
I was thinking about one full width compartment door across the back with a piano hinge to get my fuel tank in and out easily.

I was also thinking of doing this. But I liked the idea of only opening one half if I was sitting on the other or had something sitting on one side. So I made the front lids wide enough so my fuel tank can slide in and out. The tank can't fit through the back lids, due to their size and the tray/shelf thing on the transom. I also had to space the vertical supports around the fuel tank for the same reason. I'll try and take a pic with the fuel tank in.

5SF-Doc said:
Yea I figured that out after I bought a nice motor an it's a short shaft so looks like I'm cutting the back done

Is the back of your boat like mine with it already lowered 9-10 inches?

I see you have what looks like a pvc pipe coming from under the floor, are you running your electrical through that pipe to the front?

Fish Fighter said:
I see you have what looks like a pvc pipe coming from under the floor, are you running your electrical through that pipe to the front?

Exactly. I also have a thin rope running through it in case I need to run another wire I have something to pull it through with. I bought two bus bars at home depot this weekend that I'll be wiring up in the future.

Fish Fighter said:
are you going to have a batttery in the front and back of the boat or just front?

Just in front. My motor is a pull start so no need for one in back. I just ran the electric from the front for the light, bilge, and depth finder.

Fish Fighter said:
How are you planning on mounting that rear light on?

Do you have a bilge pump, I see you have a hose in the back corner.

The light and bilge are already mounted and in working order. They are wired to my switch panel. I'll get a close up pic for you when I get a chance.