Need a little advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_baker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I lurk more than I post but I need help making a decision.

I have the option of trading off my 1448 tracker grizzly for a 1650 lowe big jon.

My grizzly is a 09 fully welded with a 01 25 Johnson. Galvanized trailer good tires and winch strap.

The lowe is a 81 riveted hull with a 97 Johnson 30 horse that is spotless. The boat was just redone and hasn't been in the water since. The trailer is what needs work. Gonna need cleaned up and painted along with new tires sometime soon.

What do you think each boat is worth? Is it worth gaining 2 feet and loosing the mod v front end and welded hull?

This trade will be with my father in law so I have seen the boat as he built it and am familiar with what I would be getting.

First picture is my current boat. Next two are of the Lowe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405654669.185693.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405654683.351853.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405654693.521718.jpg

Im new to Tin Boats and have a riveted Alumacraft. I would wonder why you would give up a good welded boat for a riveted boat? Would think welded would trump riveted most any day, I'ld have one if my wallet was thinker :p)

Ok now let's stop knocking riveted boats. As anyone with any since knows that anytime you heat metal it does make it harder but it also makes it brittle. If you do end up needing a repair it will be alot harder to straighten and it will tear vs denting or bending on a riveted boat. One is just as good as the other but that's just my opinion. I think people just make a bigger deal out of it then what it really is. I've owned nothing but riveted boats and never had a problem but in the right opportunity I'd buy a welded. Enough about that but anyway man I like your boat and I love the padded bench seat and the split middle seat. I think it all depends on if you would be truly happy with the trade. Both boats are nice. My boats is a 2001 Alumacraft MV TEX Special CS 1650 mod-v with a 50hp Johnson. I love it but I came from a 1232 jon with a 9.8. My buddy has a 1448 Lowe big jon and I like it too. Me 165lbs, him 230lbs, and my son 25lbs went out on the lake in it and it was a rough windy day on a 10000sq acre lake but it handled the water just as good as mine would. The mod-v just makes the ride drier if you were to pass someone else's wake or hit some big waves. End of the day it's all about preferences.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359908#p359908 said:
WiskeyJaR » Today, 02:01[/url]"]I I would wonder why you would give up a good welded boat for a riveted boat?

1448 vs 1650 is a pretty good reason. Weld vs rivets is apples and oranges.

t_baker, weigh what you'll lose in equipment versus what you'll get. Engine? Trolling motor? Electronics? Trailer?

New River Rat said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359908#p359908 said:
WiskeyJaR » Today, 02:01[/url]"]I I would wonder why you would give up a good welded boat for a riveted boat?

1448 vs 1650 is a pretty good reason. Weld vs rivets is apples and oranges.

t_baker, weigh what you'll lose in equipment versus what you'll get. Engine? Trolling motor? Electronics? Trailer?

Am gaining a nicer engine. Mine has no issues just has been ran more than his and shows it. Trolling motor is the same. No electronics however I only have a 100 dollar lowrance on mine now. And the trailer is what I loose the most on. Honestly, I'm going to see if it is possible to get his boat on my current trailer and work the trade out that way

If it is a sound boat I wouldn't give it a second thought. My boat is riveted and I have no issues with it. Come to think of it, it always seems like the welded ones have cracking issues. Maybe not?

If I wanted/needed a bigger boat, I'd do it!
I went from a 1654 lowe to an 1860 tracker grizzly. I was making my Lowe a center console set up and the tracker came that way.

Those are both really nice boats. If you are happy with the smaller boat with the MV, keep it; if you want a larger boat, trade for the 1650.
Nothing wrong with riveted boats, I've fished out of more than one that didn't leak a drop.
I think I would be happy with either one of those boats.

Should I experience any difference in ride going to the flat front? I know a little wetter but I mostly duck hunt, so getting wet isn't really a concern.

I agree with overboard. If the size you have has been adequate so far then keep it. If you have ever said "i could use more room" and you think it's a fair deal, do it. I cant think of much i would trade mine for, it' kinda like a worn pair of boots, just feels comfortable.

hookem_horns said:
I agree with overboard. If the size you have has been adequate so far then keep it. If you have ever said "i could use more room" and you think it's a fair deal, do it. I cant think of much i would trade mine for, it' kinda like a worn pair of boots, just feels comfortable.

Yeah that is my issue. I know what I have. The extra room would be nice but I can't decide.

I think riveted boats have their place, I've had and worked on many, but if you run open water you'll be fighting leaks, sooner or later. A bilge pump is an easy solution, but some people can't live with a leaky boat...

The flat front is just going to pound a little more in rough water, again depends on the areas you hunt.

I don't think I'd do the deal just for the motor, the 25/30 have the same block, different carbs, very similar output. See if you can trade him yours + cash if the engine's what you want.

I bet it wouldn't take much coin to sell the 14' and buy a welded 16'. Then again if you always hunt small/calm water and need the additional 2' go for the riveted.

I find it's harder to take water over a 20" transom, but have only run tiller engines in 15" configuration, can't speak directly to tiller 20" setups. I'd prefer a remote setup to be 20" just for the higher freeboard and the engine is that much higher out of the water.

Natedog57 said:
I think riveted boats have their place, I've had and worked on many, but if you run open water you'll be fighting leaks, sooner or later. A bilge pump is an easy solution, but some people can't live with a leaky boat...

The flat front is just going to pound a little more in rough water, again depends on the areas you hunt.

I don't think I'd do the deal just for the motor, the 25/30 have the same block, different carbs, very similar output. See if you can trade him yours + cash if the engine's what you want.

I bet it wouldn't take much coin to sell the 14' and buy a welded 16'. Then again if you always hunt small/calm water and need the additional 2' go for the riveted.

I find it's harder to take water over a 20" transom, but have only run tiller engines in 15" configuration, can't speak directly to tiller 20" setups. I'd prefer a remote setup to be 20" just for the higher freeboard and the engine is that much higher out of the water.

The engine isn't the deal maker. The 2 feet longer is. The open water comments are making me think. I will be anywhere from calm back waters to rough open lake. My boat handles rough water well now, I just know a bigger one would handle it better. At this point I feel like steering away. The trailer, short transom, and flat front are turning me off.

I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of this earlier, but since the 16' is owned by a family member, why don't you take it out on a windy/choppy day and see how it handles? That should allow you to come to a decision pretty quick.

Natedog57 said:
I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of this earlier, but since the 16' is owned by a family member, why don't you take it out on a windy/choppy day and see how it handles? That should allow you to come to a decision pretty quick.

Doing that tomorrow.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360033#p360033 said:
t_baker » Yesterday, 20:40[/url]"]
The engine isn't the deal maker. The 2 feet longer is.

Three years ago, I went from a 1436 Grumman to a 1648 Polar Craft. It's amazing how much more comfortable I am. As for the transom, chances are you'll never notice that. Good luck on choosing!

New River Rat said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360033#p360033 said:
t_baker » Yesterday, 20:40[/url]"]
The engine isn't the deal maker. The 2 feet longer is.

Three years ago, I went from a 1436 Grumman to a 1648 Polar Craft. It's amazing how much more comfortable I am. As for the transom, chances are you'll never notice that. Good luck on choosing!

Ohh I'll notice it. I notice it all the time on my current boat.

Latest posts