need some cooking help lol

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headhunter954

Reaction score
well here it goes I live in South Florida I just got a Jon boat And just starting to fish freshwater .im a saltwater fisherman. But I dont know what fresh water fish to eat and not to eat also not sure how to fix them up . I would mostly be catching largemouth Bass and Crappie I thing thats like the only ones I really know of lol I need help thanks

Bass if large enough you could just fillet, crappie, same thing, just fillet and then dice about 1" cubes or what ever you want. Bake, fry, deep fry. To many ways you can make them, they are all pretty much good.

ok cool great yea did not know how it will be. but I guess just go out and try them all and how would I fix like a catfish up and can you eat all catfish

As far as fresh water cats, Yes they are good to eat...well maybe not mud cats. Just fry um up. Saltwater cats are not. I heard galftops are good, but the are so stinky and slimy I have never kept any.

To fry a catfish you roll him in a mixture of flour and corn meal(1/2 and 1/2) then in milk and then in the mixture again. fry till he floats. Enjoy

I keep it pretty simple when I cook my fish.

I use a 1 quart zip lock bag. Put flour, a little salt and pepper in the bag. Add the fillets, zip it shut and shake the beejeebers out of the bag to coat the fish. Put them in the frying pan at 350 degrees and get the dinner plate ready.

gouran01 said:
x12, I love the catfish, never knew there was a saltwater cat though!
Oh Yah, there are gafftopsail catfish throughout the gulf. Look just like a channel cat but with a bigger top fin. We have caught them many times with shrimp or cutbait. Good eating. Fun to catch. Lots of them around the near shore rigs in the gulf. Usually around 2-6 lbs
Tim

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/gafftop/

I'm with the crappie crowd. It's by far my favorite freshwater fish to eat. I think the smaller ones are better tasting for some reason but I sure do like catching those 3# +, which are considered big for this part of the country. I fillet 2# and up but I fry the smaller ones whole. Most varieties of catfish here are good, but my favorite has to be the flathead. 8-10# is the ideal size in my book. I fish the Mississippi river from time to time, but I refuse to eat the larger cats that come out of there. Because all but the flathead are bottom feeders, and they taste just like you soaked the meat in diesel. I suspect it's because of how much time they've spent feeding off the bottom when all the tug boats have been running in that river. It does make for some great fishing and monster catfish though.

Even though they are a bit stronger in flavor I also like bream,bluegill,sunfish or whatever name you call them them in your neck of the woods.

My typical mix for cooking is to use 2 to 3 parts yellow corn meal, 1 part flour, salt, pepper, and ground red pepper to taste and deep fry. I like my fish to have a little bite even after they make it to the plate.

Latest posts