Safety Safety Safety

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the way to do it. If there's a dock, I will hop out once the boat floats off and tie it to the dock rather than beaching it.

First time I did it, I pulled away a little too fast and the rope slingshotted the boat into the trailer. Lost a tail light. Perfection takes time. šŸ˜„

I power load my boat gently, motorvtilted up some so prop wash doesn't errode. I reach over the bow to snap the winch strap on. Then move back to console and finnish tilting motor up. Then I just step over onto the dock...thinking about crawling over the bow onto the trailer tongue....no way, not at 74 anyway, stepping on the dock is so much easier !! Now then, if I didn't have a dock......find another ramp !!

Every ramp I use has a dock. I might be able to use your method, except for reaching over the bow to snap onto the bow eye. Hard to reach on my boat. I don't mind slipping the boots on. Slip them on. Back down the ramp. Pull the boat on the trailer and winch her up. Then I'm out of there. I'm a lot faster launching and retrieving than many of the other folk I encounter.

BTW, did you recently celebrate a birthday? If so, Happy Birthday! I recall you being 73 (two years older than me). I just turned 72 at the end of the year.

This is the way to do it. If there's a dock, I will hop out once the boat floats off and tie it to the dock rather than beaching it.

First time I did it, I pulled away a little too fast and the rope slingshotted the boat into the trailer. Lost a tail light. Perfection takes time. šŸ˜„

Seems too complicated if there is a dock. I tie a line to the bow cleat. Hold the other end out the driver's window in my hand while I back the boat in. When it floats I get out the truck, pull the boat to the far end of the dock, tie the boat off to the dock, then drive back up the ramp. Easy peasy.

My biggest problem used to be forgetting to unlatch the bow eye before backing the boat in. :) I think I've finally learned my lesson.

Every ramp I use has a dock. I might be able to use your method, except for reaching over the bow to snap onto the bow eye. Hard to reach on my boat. I don't mind slipping the boots on. Slip them on. Back down the ramp. Pull the boat on the trailer and winch her up. Then I'm out of there. I'm a lot faster launching and retrieving than many of the other folk I encounter.

BTW, did you recently celebrate a birthday? If so, Happy Birthday! I recall you being 73 (two years older than me). I just turned 72 at the end of the year.
Gonna turn 74 real soon, closer to 74 than to 73....if I used the age I often feel, then I would be 80 !!

Seems too complicated if there is a dock. I tie a line to the bow cleat. Hold the other end out the driver's window in my hand while I back the boat in. When it floats I get out the truck, pull the boat to the far end of the dock, tie the boat off to the dock, then drive back up the ramp. Easy peasy.

My biggest problem used to be forgetting to unlatch the bow eye before backing the boat in. :) I think I've finally learned my lesson.
We use very similiar proceedures, I have been backing up all sizes of trailers since I was 12 yrs old, so backing is not an issue. If no one else is waiting, I often back my empty trailer back thru the parking lot rather than drive around lik your supposed to. I have a long dock line to attach to the dck or smetimes my trailer. I dont unclip until my boat is backed in as I have a roller trailer!! When the boat floats off, the added line keeps it frm floating away, while i pull up and get my butt back there to tie it off. Then go park.

We use very similiar proceedures, I have been backing up all sizes of trailers since I was 12 yrs old, so backing is not an issue. If no one else is waiting, I often back my empty trailer back thru the parking lot rather than drive around lik your supposed to. I have a long dock line to attach to the dck or smetimes my trailer. I dont unclip until my boat is backed in as I have a roller trailer!! When the boat floats off, the added line keeps it frm floating away, while i pull up and get my butt back there to tie it off. Then go park.

I have bunks but do the same -- don't unclip the winch until the boat is over the water. What a nightmare should the boat slide off while backing down the ramp.

I have bunks but do the same -- don't unclip the winch until the boat is over the water. What a nightmare should the boat slide off while backing down the ramp.
Unfortunately that happened to me right after I bought my Islander ( I/O)...full roller trailer, halfway down the ramp it rolled off. Tried to hurry it once it started, but to late, the outdrive hit the pavement. No damage other than scraping paint off the skag, but a close heart attack !! Did go home and check the alignment, was lucky all was good !! Lessoned learned !! Never unhook winch strap until boat is over the water !! Started using the safety rope attached to either dock or trailer after wind blew my boat to far away to reach on a solo launch one day. Lucky for me another boater was just comming to the ramp and grabbed my boat before it went out to sea !! Now just throw a loop over the winch stand or a cleat on the dock, it can only float so far......