Getting ready to outfit new Crestliner Storm 1700 with Elco motor and ??? electronics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I'm here. And I'm a real person - actually I'm a technology consultant, so I *could* create a bot, but unfortunately, you guys are stuck with me lol. Thx for all the replied to my original post!

So went in a different direction. @Billy H i was concerned about what you said, total length. Also, just really wanted flexibility to do what I want, when I want.

I bought a Grizzly 1648 jon (not side console - tiller goes with my idea of being able to adapt easily). I'm going to put an Ulterra on the front and see if that by itself will be enough for the electric lake side of things. I really don't need to go fast - I mean, I'm used to a 45lb transom trolling motor on a 12' jon, so I'm curious if 115lb in front on the 1648 will be fine.

If it is, then I might get a 20hp "portable" gas motor for the times I go on "regular" lakes. If not, then I might do the 20hp electric motor that will handle both, even if it might be a little fast for electric lakes and a little slow for gas lakes.

As for electronics, I am pairing the ulterra with a solix 12. I wish I could put a mega 360 on the ulterra, but my understanding is it weighs too much. Fortunately, I'm a super casual guy who fishes, so not sure I'd really get much from the 360 anyway. If at some point I do want it, i'll regret not going ultrex instead of ulterra. The problem is my back isn't in the best shape, and feel like the ulterra will save a lot of wear and tear on it. If I hadn't ordered the ulterra and it shipping already, then i might have switched back to the ultrex after all - the lift assist might have been good enough to alleviate my back concerns.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'm probably going to have the tm and solix professionally installed. It's not that I can't reach under the deck through the riveted access panel and get it mounted, but figuring out which way is best to send the power, where to put the battery, etc.. is just more than I have time for right now.

Sorry, I'm here. And I'm a real person - actually I'm a technology consultant, so I *could* create a bot, but unfortunately, you guys are stuck with me lol. Thx for all the replied to my original post!

So went in a different direction. @Billy H i was concerned about what you said, total length. Also, just really wanted flexibility to do what I want, when I want.

I bought a Grizzly 1648 jon (not side console - tiller goes with my idea of being able to adapt easily). I'm going to put an Ulterra on the front and see if that by itself will be enough for the electric lake side of things. I really don't need to go fast - I mean, I'm used to a 45lb transom trolling motor on a 12' jon, so I'm curious if 115lb in front on the 1648 will be fine.

If it is, then I might get a 20hp "portable" gas motor for the times I go on "regular" lakes. If not, then I might do the 20hp electric motor that will handle both, even if it might be a little fast for electric lakes and a little slow for gas lakes.

As for electronics, I am pairing the ulterra with a solix 12. I wish I could put a mega 360 on the ulterra, but my understanding is it weighs too much. Fortunately, I'm a super casual guy who fishes, so not sure I'd really get much from the 360 anyway. If at some point I do want it, i'll regret not going ultrex instead of ulterra. The problem is my back isn't in the best shape, and feel like the ulterra will save a lot of wear and tear on it. If I hadn't ordered the ulterra and it shipping already, then i might have switched back to the ultrex after all - the lift assist might have been good enough to alleviate my back concerns.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'm probably going to have the tm and solix professionally installed. It's not that I can't reach under the deck through the riveted access panel and get it mounted, but figuring out which way is best to send the power, where to put the battery, etc.. is just more than I have time for right now.
Sounds like a plan and glad to hear that you are human. :)

The 115 might actually be a bit too much motor though. More torque in this case won’t make it go faster. I run Terrova 80 on a 2000 lbs 17’ Crestliner and it moves it with authority. I’ve read that too large of a bow mount can cause control issues but, I can’t say that I’ve experienced it.

Anyway, if you haven’t bought the 115 yet you would be fine with a 80 and you could spend that money on some other gadget.

Last edited:
too late now, already ordered the tm and dakota battery. the lowest thrust the ulterra comes with is 90lbs, and that's if you run it on a 24' battery. i got a 36, which will mean it has 115. if it's too much, i'll have to make sure not to run it full speed.

The 115 might actually be a bit too much motor though. More torque in this case won’t make it go faster. I run Terrova 80 on a 2000 lbs 17’ Crestliner and it moves it with authority. I’ve read that too large of a bow mount can cause control issues but, I can’t say they I’ve experienced it.
I thought there was some discussion about this on the MK trolling motors, and the higher end units had a parameter to set to alleviate it??? ie too much torque trying to make a position adjustment using GPS features. Anyway, if it becomes an issue, call MK tech support. There might be an easy fix.

too late now, already ordered the tm and dakota battery. the lowest thrust the ulterra comes with is 90lbs, and that's if you run it on a 24' battery. i got a 36, which will mean it has 115. if it's too much, i'll have to make sure not to run it full speed.
You’ll be fine . Just have to be extremely careful you don’t accidentally have it set on a high setting when the motor is turned and then turn it on. It’ll throw you right out of the boat. I’ve seen that happen more than once.

Latest posts