Getting ready to outfit new Crestliner Storm 1700 with Elco motor and ??? electronics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwest80

Reaction score
So i'm ordering a crestliner storm 1700 without motor or electronics. i'm thinking about having an elco 20hp motor put on it, a trolling motor, and fishfinder from one of the big brands.

This is my first "bass" boat, so lots i don't know (i've had several pleasure boats). In case you're wondering, i'm going with crestliner storm because 1) it will fit in a 20' storage unit, and 2) the trailer won't be wider than my truck (north georgia roads are no fun imo for trailers).

hopefully the boat is one that most can agree is a quality boat - i really like the all-aluminum build. i haven't officially place the order yet, though, so counterpoints are welcome.

for the motor, i'm going with the elco because it seems to be the most cost effective 20hp electric motor out there so far that i can find. anyone have any opinions on how fast it'll be able to push this boat (dry weight of around 600ish lbs)?

for the electronics, this is the big question. requirements are a trolling motor with anchor mode so i don't have to drop a physical anchor. i do like the idea of the transducer being built in. this sounds bad, but i'm not really worried about the price. it's more about not overdoing it for this boat, while still having a great electronics solution. my first thought was the hummingbird ultrex trolling motor and 12" screen at the bow, but it seems like in general, what i'm reading suggests the garmin system might be more usable with less general bugginess. i'm totally open to ideas and suggestions.

thx!

I'd be surprised if a 20hp gasoline outboard would plane that boat, let alone an electric with a battery bank. I'd say you'd be limited to plowing at ~10mph. A 35hp would be the bare minimum IMO.

Battery power certainly has it's applications, but the energy to weight ratio is very less than ideal for the marine world at this time.

I'd say any 24v trolling motor would be more than enough for that size boat. I have always ran Minn kotas and have had little trouble, I've also spent a couple hours running a Garmin Force and liked it as well, just couldn't justify the price for how I fish.

Last edited:
As much as I would be interested in someone trying one of these electric outboards, @MrGiggles makes a good point about performance. The Elco 20 looks like it is lighter than a typical 20HP four stroke, but that weight savings will be offset by the batteries. When you add the outboard, TM, batteries, gear and people, that 670# dry hull can easily be near the 1,100# max capacity. Seems reasonable to expect sluggish performance with a 20HP.

I note that Crestliner spec's that boat at 20HP to 60 HP. You might ask them what performance to expect with a 20HP outboard. You might think about the minimum speed you would accept for traveling from spot to spot in your normal fishing places. Then ask if you can achieve that with the 20.

From all the testing I have saw, the 20 hp electric will not push the hull anywhere near the speed of a 20 hp gas motor. Primary cause is battery weight.

I agree with everyone, an electric outboard is not going to perform well in that boat. I'd recommend a gas motor, and bigger than 20HP. While I would tend to go 50-60HP, a 40HP will probably be fine. If you are buying the motor new, the dealer combo pricing will be you best bet. It will be all rigged and readyto go.

I guess I'll be a little contrarian here about the electric outboard. I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

I've read on this forum that Georgia is a state that has been expanding the number of electric only lakes, so considering an electric outboard seems reasonable enough if you're still doing your due diligence before deciding.

Maybe you have already been researching lots of places in your decision process, but if not, I'll suggest starting on YouTube. There are decent channels that have had various videos about electric outboards. Tiny Boat Nation is one; they have a playlist of 10 episodes on various aspects of electric outboards. Another channel is Wayne the Boat Guy; he also has a playlist about electric outboards. I'm sure there are others.

Is an electric outboard for me? Probably not, at least not at this time. There are a few lakes around here that are electric only, but I just don't use them. There are plenty of other options

I could go on and on about all the reasons (and it has nothing to do with being a speed addict), but I would never own a setup that isn't powered with at least 80% of max rated horsepower. For that boat I would personally get at least a 50hp. Nice boat, I've owned a Crestliner before and it was a fantastic hull, great quality.

I don’t think a 20hp electric boat is economical or practical at this time.

20hp Eleco. $4500 / 85 lbs
4x 24V 100A/hr batteries. $2400 / 180 lbs
Wiring $300 / 15 lbs (est.)

Plus battery box, house battery, trolling motor, fish finders, etc. Your rigging budget should be over $12,000.

Edit: forgot the charger, maybe another $500.

I could go on and on about all the reasons (and it has nothing to do with being a speed addict), but I would never own a setup that isn't powered with at least 80% of max rated horsepower. For that boat I would personally get at least a 50hp. Nice boat, I've owned a Crestliner before and it was a fantastic hull, great quality.

This to me is the issue more so than electric vs four stroke. 20HP would just be too little, IMO.

I guess I'll be a little contrarian here about the electric outboard. I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

I've read on this forum that Georgia is a state that has been expanding the number of electric only lakes, so considering an electric outboard seems reasonable enough if you're still doing your due diligence before deciding.

Maybe you have already been researching lots of places in your decision process, but if not, I'll suggest starting on YouTube. There are decent channels that have had various videos about electric outboards. Tiny Boat Nation is one; they have a playlist of 10 episodes on various aspects of electric outboards. Another channel is Wayne the Boat Guy; he also has a playlist about electric outboards. I'm sure there are others.

Is an electric outboard for me? Probably not, at least not at this time. There are a few lakes around here that are electric only, but I just don't use them. There are plenty of other options

Noted on the trend for electric only states. However, I recommend doing your homework before investing megabucks in megawatts. States may also impose a hp or kilowatt restriction. For example; a Merc 9.9 kicker is 7.4 kW.

The last time that I looked Washington state was specifying kW limits rather that hp on small registration exempt boats.

A good point. If this is specialized boat for electric only lakes, that changes things. The performance will not be good, but better than just having a couple of trolling motors. Also, I've seen Bass Tourneys that specialize in electric only.

We have some new camp owners on our channel, that bought a new 20'+ pontoon boat and had it outfitted with Merc's new electric drive motor. Not sure what HP/size. I have only seen it docked, but will be watching for it out on the lake. Their camp sits about 150' from the dock, and it is a long dock of about 100'. I'm thinking I will see a gas motor hanging on it within a couple of years. ;)

I live in North Georgia and fish electric most of the time mainly because I don't want to be on the large lakes with all the traffic. Understand that the boat and motor combo you are talking about will not plane and your top speed will be less than 10mph.

All of this is fine if you are planning to fish the small electric lakes. On big water not so much. You would be much better off with a 40+ hp gas outboard.

Another issue is run time on battery power. While we often get a day or two off our trolling batteries, how many hrs will you get 20hp probably running near 100% while going from place to place?
Mabey 4 hrs, probably less. Makes for a short day on the water !

Another issue is run time on battery power. While we often get a day or two off our trolling batteries, how many hrs will you get 20hp probably running near 100% while going from place to place?
Mabey 4 hrs, probably less. Makes for a short day on the water !
Well a guy could add flexible solar panels to the gunnels or Bimini for a few grand more.

If the objective is an electric main motor for that boat going with a larger HP is an option. Of course, the cost goes way up.

Speaking only for myself, I like the idea of electric outboards for obvious reasons, but they are just too new for my comfort. Issues like cost, weight (including batteries), and especially range are concerns. Who knows, maybe someday there will be floating charging stations out on the lakes. Unlike electric or hybrid cars that are out there all around us, I have yet to see one of these electric outboards out on the lake. Maybe irrational, but they are just too new and unproven to me.

About the only thing I'm sure of about this new technology is they are all electric start. :)

If the objective is an electric main motor for that boat going with a larger HP is an option. Of course, the cost goes way up.

Speaking only for myself, I like the idea of electric outboards for obvious reasons, but they are just too new for my comfort. Issues like cost, weight (including batteries), and especially range are concerns. Who knows, maybe someday there will be floating charging stations out on the lakes. Unlike electric or hybrid cars that are out there all around us, I have yet to see one of these electric outboards out on the lake. Maybe irrational, but they are just too new and unproven to me.

About the only thing I'm sure of about this new technology is they are all electric start. :)

Batteries are nowhere close in terms of energy density when compared to gas or diesel at this time. Once we get to that point, engines will be in trouble, but I think it's a long ways off. Been hearing about ultra light weight batteries for a decade now, but none of them have made it to mass production.

I own a crestliner storm. Picture in my avatar. I can say without a doubt a 20 HP gas motor will put you on plane. I get 25MPH with a 20 merc EFI when alone. As far as electric motor I can’t comment. I will say that I use a 24 volt Terrova very extensively while fishing and it pulls the boat around just fine for many hours. I recently switched over to lithium batteries. As far as electronics I recommend Garmin. I have a 106 ultra on the bow and a 93 SV UHD at the console. If your dead set on built in transducer I would get the Garmin/ forceTM to get the most out of your head unit. That TM is my next purchase. For now I’m running a GT 54 transducer along with an LVS 32 on the minn kota and a GT 56 on the transom. I set up a 50 AH lithium in my front compartment along with an on off switch exclusively for my electronics. Also have my GLS 10 in there. You’ll love that boat. It’s a great fishing platform. I can send a video to you if you like. Any questions let me know.

Let me add. Make sure to measure total length with motor to make sure it will fit in a 20 foot unit.

Not hearing much from the OP, Johnwest80. Makes me wonder if this is a bot post trying to promote electric outboards. Seems like these posts pop up a couple times per year. Brand new member, one post and you never hear from them again.

John if your a human speak up.

There are a number of other questions in the OP, so who knows. Might have been a late-night web search, and he found this site, posted, and then never got back to it. I've done that in the past. Next day, I was like, "Where was that forum I found last night???"

Latest posts