New boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwassman

Reaction score
First post on TinBoats.
I've just bought a 2012 Alweld 1652 vee la with a 20" transom :D , and i want to do a couple things to it. My plans so far include a long shaft Yamaha 40hp 4s tiller, cmc manual adjustable jack plate, and a hydrofoil. The thought of spontoones has crossed my mind to improve shallow water performance but not quite sure if they are worth the $$$. Im also debating on fuel tank placement (front or back?). So far the only thing i have is the boat & trailer. This is the first boat I've started from scratch on so any comments, concerns, or suggestions would be well appreciated.

First off: WELCOME: Do you have any pics of the boat, does it already have decks, and what are your complete plans for the boat.

Sounds like you will have plenty of power with the 40hp outboard and may not have any issues with having the fuel tank in the rear. It's all the other stuff that adds up when doing the build - batteries, decks, live wells, trolling motors etc. When you start adding that type of weight is when you need to consider proper placement and weight distribution.

OoooH Congratulations on the new boat

Yes i have pictures but havent figured out how to post them from my phone, there is good pic of the boat lay out on Alweld.com under standard mod vee jons. Thanks :lol:

OhioStateBuckeye said:
Nice man! That boat looks stout. It will last forever.

thank you, im very exited about getting it set up.

i will most likely keep it to one battery and fuel tank as permanent gear weight, other than that i might have a cooler, fishing gear, and decoys when its that time of year. a live well would be nice not sure if i want to do that type of construction though. i will prob stick to the 5gal bucket and a bubble box.

for the fuel tank i thought of trying to weld some aluminum to fit in those deep ribs

I would suggest at least some type of floor; those big ribs are good trippers and falls in a tin can be painful.

Great looking boat =D> good luck with it.

an idea i had for the floor was to go ahead and have two aluminum fuel tanks fabricated to fit in the two deeper ribs. then use sheet of aluminum maybe .08 ga to lay over top of tanks for the floor. i would probably use a template alot like Jay415 used on his mv1648 it looked like it turned out pretty dang good. def going to use some type of padding between the hull, tanks, and floor, to dampen noise noise and vibration.