New member with a new project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
Hello to all! Been lurking the past few days....liked the site so well I just went & bought a new project a couple hours ago so I could join...I bought a 1981 14' Montgomery Ward (Smoker) Jon. It's 50" at the beam with 40" at the floor. It came on a pretty nice little 1997 trailer, all for $350.
81MWside.jpg

81MWrear.jpg

81MWfront.jpg

Having just got it, I'm still mulling-over thoughts for some mods, but have tons of good ideas from some of the great info you all have added here from your boats. I'm in Indiana, just north of Indy (will update profile) and also have an '05 Tracker Pro V, the 14' MirroCraft in the background is my dads.

Just wanted to say hello, and show you what you all have forced me into..... :D . Seriously, love the site, impressed with all your alls boats, and looks like a great group. I'll look forward to adding my new project to the "collection" here.

Current plans to include forward deck, removal of 1 center seat, adding floor/carpet, better seating, storage, battery area(s), wiring, and storage. Most likely will be adding some to the list as I'm able to spend some time with a tape measure & a pencil. Rain is forecast for the next couple days, so it will be awhile before I can start the "demo".

Glad to be here, and again, look forward to getting input & ideas for the site. Oh, and I love to FISH!! :wink:

ST

Thanks for the welcome! I thought it was a pretty fair price, lol but I've been wrong before. The guy selling it was extremely nice, and the boat was setting about 2 miles from my house, found it on Craigslist. He had it listed for $500, but evidently couldn't sell it, told me over the phone $400, but when I went to look, the sign said OBO....so I offered $350 & he accepted. I think I may go out & remove the seats since the rain stopped for now. It needs alittle TLC, but I needed something to do anyway.

ST

Thanks Zum! Well, I did manage to get the seats out & some of the lumber off the front end before the rain returned :roll: . Got a general idea of what I'd like to do, atleast at this point in time, it may change alittle once the tape measure & saw come out.
Floorplan.jpg

this plan shows the one seat removed to open-up the center area. Anyone see anything I'm missing this early in the game?

One front hatch will house front battery, and will be wired to plug for TM, and probably nav lights. Other front hatch for misc storage. One rod locker down 1 side, may or may not divide opposite side & use 2 doors, haven't decided yet, may depend on how much rod storage I can get out of the one without taking-up too much floorspace.

Rear hatch for another battery, other side for fuel tank. Front deck will have elevated seat, rear won't be elevated to make it easier for running rear motor. Probably run FF off rear battery. Will also add a 12V DC tap somewhere. Rod holders (homemade) are another addition planned, and possibly a cooler-livewell.

When the weather cooperates, I'll make a trip for materials & start decking & framing. I'm kicking-around the idea of cleaning the hull, since the boat's in pretty good shape. May try it * see how it goes, if nothing else I can always paint it.

ST

dougdad said:
WELCOME SLIME TIME, That will be a good project boat, HAVE FUN !!!!!!!

Thanks DD! I'm looking forward to getting started on it for sure!

It will be a 6' span between remaining seats, and is the reason I'm going to add some support with the rod locker & storage areas. However, I am reconsidering and thinking about making an area on 1 side to set a large cooler to use for a live-well. Doing that would give a little room on either side of it (between it & front & rear decks) for storage of gear (like tackleboxes or personal coolers).

ST

Thanks again everyone! Well, got alittle accomplished today, got the bad wood off the transom (someone used stainless bolts....with steel nuts :roll: ), but, after cutting them off, all the rotten wood is gone.
stripped.jpg

Got the middle seat removed with the help of a cut-off wheel in my 4.5" angle grinder:
seatgone.jpg

And some decking done. I used 3/4" Dry-Ply. Evidently something new, had a treatment applied to it that's "water resistant". $25 a sheet I think (I'll double check receipt)
rfwd.jpg

fwd-r.jpg

Ended-up with 2-12"X20" hatch doors up front.
fr-deck.jpg

I'm debating about the rear decking.....it's not going to gain be much, and I don't want to elevate the seat much, so battery clearance might be an issue, but may elevate enough to allow the battery to be hidden.

Kind of playing it by ear as I go...........

Thakks Tom....lol, you & me both :mrgreen:

Would anyone know of a method (or product) I can use to clean/restore the aluminum hull? I decided against paint, simply to save some dough, plus the hull is in very good shape, just dirty & dull.

Any tips? I've looked, but haven't ran across any posts on the topic, though I'm sure it's been covered somewhere.

Thanks!
ST

Nice looking work. I really like that ready to go dry ply. I've never even seen it for sale around here, I'm jealous! :evil: My garage still stinks from the spar varnish I had to use on mine.

Thanks guys! Brew, I got it at Menards, if you've got one local to you, might call & see if they carry it.....for your next project :wink:

ST

You're welcome! If you'd ever have an interest in getting some, google Georgia Pacific.....might be able to get some info from them on a local supplier.

ST

Latest posts