New to tinboats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transom will be around 22" tall if it's a short shaft and 27" if it's a long shaft. Not sure what the mid length is off the top of my head. I've got a new 4 spline long shaft laying around here. Here's a picture of a 75 stinger short shaft with a pump.

Attachments

• 00101_gxlK8lGD3bM_600x450.jpg
    00101_gxlK8lGD3bM_600x450.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,206
Well my shaft itself is roughly 24" and my mid with the tuner plate in it is 13 3/4. Looks very similiar to that stinger but that's a pic so ya know how that goes. What's so special bout the stinger and whatever the other one is ? And If your interested in letting it go I might have to take it off your hands

Sounds like you have a short shaft then if your mid s that short. My shaft's for a long shaft. Think one of the differences between the normal 75hp and the stinger and hustler was a high compression head. Want to say it was about the same as a normal head with .100" shaved off, don't quote me on that. lol But I think that what I'd read some where. Are you planning on putting finger ports in the motor?

If your motors a short shaft you need to find a tilt and trim and bracket from a Yamaha pro 50. They can be adapted to the short 49 mids. They never made tilt and trim for the short shafts 3 cylinders If it's a long shaft you just need the tilt and trim form a normal 75hp Johnson. Makes a huge difference in performance getting the perfect trim angel.

Now that ya say that I think I remember something similiar . And yea gonna try lol may end up ruining what was a decent motor lol . And I stumbled apon a guy selling a aftermarket one that you bolted in between the motor and transom . Are those worth a dang ? It seemed priced right at 250 buck and kinda Kickin myself for not goin and getting it junk or not it's better than what I got lol

Well started tearing down tonight and it's a good thing I did. Found out a couple things , I had a blown head gasket on cyl 2 and 1 could of been leaking, it's got oversized miss matched pitons in it (1) 20 over (2) 20 over but diff from #1 (3) 30 over. Cyl 1 has a gawld piston and what seems like a ring snagging a little. Very depressing seeing the condition of the internals . Try to get it split tomorrow and see what kinda surprises the crank has for me :?

Only down side to a tilt and trim like that is there's more set back and that can cause problems with cavitation. But having tilt and trim is worth every penny. Sound like it's time for some .040" over pistons. Sucks to hear that.

Nah , life's been a little nuts lately. Had tons of customers vehicles come in and all where "need done yesterday" kinda deals. Then me and the gf split the sheets. Hell I ain't even had time to cut wood and I'm runnin dangerously low lol. But it's been burnin up my mind , seein it all broke apart on the bench . I need to order some carbides and and a few other things . Any suggestions on gasket kits ? Where from , best quality ?

Not real sure about what gaskets to use. Seems like WSM gaskets are cheaper quality though so I'd stay away from them with a high performance build. At least for the head gasket that is. Have you had any time to mess with it anymore?

Been a bit since I got on here , decided to not get to carried away on this motor , I want something with a little more life left in it to play with . So doing pretty mild stuff to it lots of of cleaning up , no finger ports , gonna cut the head down , cast pistons . Waiting on parts at the moment , couple gaskets back ordered . But I can't remember how much to take off the head ? Neighbor is gonna do it for me ( machinist with small setup in his garage ) , what's safe amount to take off and get me around say 150 ish ? That's safe on cast pistons isn't it ? And didn't you say once you had a 49 power head ? Kinda in the market for one

I'd cut .040"-.050" off the head the first time. You can always cut more off later if need be. Wouldn't cut much more then .080" off all together. 150psi should be fine on cast pistons. I don't have the 49 powerhead any more. You should be able to pick one up cheap on ebay.

Little update , dropped the head off at the neighbors machine shop tonight . Put the bottom end together yesterday. Hopefully have it mostly assembled in a week or two. And maybe if the good lord graces me get a few nice days to break it in before I start remodeling my boat.

Randomly now able to load pics ! Here's my beater

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,091
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,091
Don't cut them, you can bend them back so the reeds can open up more but only do the top side. I've found the bottom reeds are bad about chipping if you open up the bottom reed stop. Knock off the sharp edges on the inside of the reed cages but make sure not to touch the outside of the reed cage were the reeds lay.

Thinking it was about 5/16 or something like that. Can't remember off the top of my head. Just have to see how much room you have and open them up till they almost touch the inside of the crank case.

Latest posts