New to tinboats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to guess I would say it has something to do with the angle of the cages and the way the incoming air hits the top reeds more then the bottom reeds so the top reeds probably have a little more cushion when closing then the bottom reeds do. Could be wrong just my guess. I've but thicker reeds on the bottom and have had better luck so far knock on wood.

That does make sense thinking about how there angle in there. I bought a set of the whites , can't remember if they're the thicker or thinner ones

I seen on another thread you know the gw luterell feller who makes some exhaust , does he make anything for the ole 49' ?

I've honestly thought about attempting to sand cast my own 'manifold' if you will kinda like the nydhal kind and have the neighbor clean it up with his mill. Just don't know if I can pull it off. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try lol

Yeah I know GW, he doesn't do anything to the 49ers as far as I know. He'll probably tell you your wasting your time and to buy a 56 cube. Not sure how hard it would be to cast a exhaust manifold. I've read on boat racing facts were a guy modded the stock manifold to perform close to the nydal style exhaust from what he claimed.

Yea I seen that too but he never really says what he does and by looking at it there really isn't much I see you could do , maybe mill a spacer plate out to give more volume but then you start loosing density and the pop pushing back on the other cylinders idk. He makes it sound like he grinds his but I don't see where. What do you suggest on tuner lengths ? I've seen all sorts of em , longer for torque right ? Slight expansion ?

And what do you think of dry stacking ? Is it just removing the big can and drilling holes at the bottom of the mid ? I've seen some say it just makes noise and some say it helps mid and top end?

Dry stacking is when you remove almost all the water from the mid section. Not sure where on 49's but you'll have to drill and tap a hole for a pipe fitting and run a piece of hose down and out of the mid section. You'll also have to make sure that you have a small hole that will spray the out side of the exhaust tuner with water to keep it from getting to hot and busting. Longer tuners usually make more torque and most flare toward the end some. The best that I can remember on the manifold was he cut it down in between the two red lines. He might have even cut the one below it to. Couldn't find the picture but he did some grind like that, not much to grind.

Attachments

• imagesMA9YR0L4.jpg
    imagesMA9YR0L4.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,229
Well just a little run down for anyone who stumbles across this wondering about doing the same to a old evinrude , I smoothed the exhaust port windows , kept stock port height , milled the head 45 , cut a bigger window in the number 2 exhaust plate and ground down the bridge , put a slight slope on the reed/carb plate , ported reed cages , and Chris Carson reeds. Put it in the pond earlier and did a slight break in , all seems well about to go do a comp test.

Well took the rig out today , by myself with bunch junk in with it and a bunch of water in it I could run 31-32 up and down would run 35-36 both on severe chop. Had to take my aftermarket trim off cavatated too much , would even jump on plain with it . Extremely happy :D gimme time lil blue I'm comin for ya hahahaha :---)

Latest posts