Newb to boats 14 ft aluminim?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi79

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 4 year old boat set up for a great price. Boat, motor and trailer.

14 ft alum dry weight of 335lbs. The motor is a Suzuki DF4A which is 4hp. The majority of the lakes in my area are shallow and rocky. I have never run a boat before and the boat and trailer are worth more than the asking price so figure I can upgrade motor later.

That said I will not have funds to upgrade right away. We just wanna put around the lake to fish for trout and bass.

Guy says works great, will be 2 ppl 99% of time hoping we can get a few years use before needing to upgrade motor.

Thoughts?

Will definately be faster than rowing!! If just fishing you should be fine. Do service the motor before taking it out, change lower unit lube, replace water pump and new plugs. Clean fuel system if the motor hasn't run in the padt couple months. Good luck

I have a little 14ft flatbottom with a 5hp merc top speed 9mph with 2 adults and 1 kid. I take it places where we often have to get out and drag or carry it over shallow spots. It will certainly get you around.

I have a little 14ft flatbottom with a 5hp merc top speed 9mph with 2 adults and 1 kid. I take it places where we often have to get out and drag or carry it over shallow spots. It will certainly get you around.

FlatheadSteve, does yours have the small integral fuel tank? If so, do you carry a gas can for a reserve?

Might be something the OP will want to know about.

FlatheadSteve, does yours have the small integral fuel tank? If so, do you carry a gas can for a reserve?

Might be something the OP will want to know about.
Mine does have the integral fuel tank and is a mid 90s 2 stroke. I keep a gallon of the pre mixed synthetic 2 stroke fuel ( I use husqvarna brand get a great deal from local chainsaw shop) on board. The synthetic stuff in the can should never go bad so no harm keeping it on the boat for the season and the little 5hp can go for awhile on a gallon of fuel

Mine does have the integral fuel tank and is a mid 90s 2 stroke. I keep a gallon of the pre mixed synthetic 2 stroke fuel ( I use husqvarna brand get a great deal from local chainsaw shop) on board. The synthetic stuff in the can should never go bad so no harm keeping it on the boat for the season and the little 5hp can go for awhile on a gallon of fuel

Personally I would NOT be using Husqvarna premix fuel in a Mercury outboard. The premix is certified for air cooled 2 strokes. There is a difference in the additives and certifications. There are stories all around about which is "better" but who knows? Had to help out 3 women on a little boat with 4hp merc this year. Couldn't get motor restarted. They were running a premix fuel made for air cooled motors. Had never had any issue before that day and owner told me she had jut started using the fuel at the suggestion of a store employee for it's "ease of use" vs mixing oil/gas. Coincidence? Maybe but who knows.

From the Husqvarna site:
• JASO-FD certified premium synthetic oil blend for your 2-Stroke air cooled engine.

Personally I would NOT be using Husqvarna premix fuel in a Mercury outboard. The premix is certified for air cooled 2 strokes. There is a difference in the additives and certifications. There are stories all around about which is "better" but who knows? Had to help out 3 women on a little boat with 4hp merc this year. Couldn't get motor restarted. They were running a premix fuel made for air cooled motors. Had never had any issue before that day and owner told me she had jut started using the fuel at the suggestion of a store employee for it's "ease of use" vs mixing oil/gas. Coincidence? Maybe but who knows.

From the Husqvarna site:
• JASO-FD certified premium synthetic oil blend for your 2-Stroke air cooled engine.
Air cooled 2 stroke oil has an additive package to help cool air cooled motors that isn't included in water cooled oills. It wont damage a water cooled engine . I have a couple liquid cooled 2 stroke dirtbikes in the barn that have never been run on anything else with the original top ends still. I typically run non ethanol 90 and quicksilver 2 stroke mix to save money the can is for emergencies or extended trips

I have a chance to buy a 4 year old boat set up for a great price. Boat, motor and trailer.

14 ft alum dry weight of 335lbs. The motor is a Suzuki DF4A which is 4hp. The majority of the lakes in my area are shallow and rocky. I have never run a boat before and the boat and trailer are worth more than the asking price so figure I can upgrade motor later.

That said I will not have funds to upgrade right away. We just wanna put around the lake to fish for trout and bass.

Guy says works great, will be 2 ppl 99% of time hoping we can get a few years use before needing to upgrade motor.

Thoughts?
If it checks good on the motor mechanically, then based on what you describe, and your intended use, I say go for it. Sounds like a good starter boat.

I think the DF4A is a four stroke motor; no need for mixed gas. Yes, I would carry a small can of gas for reserve; 1 gallon would be more than sufficient.

For just puttering around and fishing, 4 HP is enough to get from Point A to Point B. You won't be pulling tubers or any of that stuff, but it will be fine for fishing. If it's taken care of with regular preventive maintenance, that motor could last you a very long time.

Thoughts?
as all works and runs smooth your feelings good on items and feel your getting a good deal / keep maintanace and store correctly yeah you should have no problems
/ however you may want to invest in an eletric down road an pick up on ebay for pennys on the dollar

You can upgrade your motor for a hundred bucks. Keep an eye on the for sale ads. It's wintertime. You will surely grow to hate that little motor. It'll get you around, but barely. God help you if you have to battle a stiff wind to get back to the ramp. Think what you want is at least 9.9, but it may not plane. A 15 HP will make for a fun boat.

If you’ve done your homework and know it’s a good price go for it. Maybe try to get a friend that knows something about boats to take a look at it before you plunk down the cash.

Do you mean one type for air and one type for water cooled?? If so, interesting!!
That's how it use to be but a lot of the new synthetic 2 stroke mixes state on the bottle that it works for either. To the best of my knowledge the additive package in the oil is the only difference between air cooled vs water cooled 2 stroke oil. Air cooled 2 stroke mix has some additives to help keep the engine cooler and to better handle hi rpm. A chainsaw can turn around 10k rpm.

Sounds like a great starter boat. No need for speed on shallow rocky lakes. The important part for me is the ability to safely reach previously nonassessable water.

Thanks. I suppose the OP's motor is a four stroke which makes things a little easier. If what I'm looking at is correct, it has a very small integral tank -- less than one gallon.

I think the DF4A is a four stroke motor; no need for mixed gas. Yes, I would carry a small can of gas for reserve; 1 gallon would be more than sufficient.

For Suzuki the F in DF is for Four stroke.
For Suzuki the T in DT is for Two stroke.

The motor is a Suzuki DF4A which is 4hp.
If you end up getting it, I can provide you with the service manuals and Suzuki work shop manuals. Not sure what year the manuals are for, but they are for the DF4.

Attachments

• SUZUKI__DF4_5_6_Service_man.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
It won't plain, but as mentioned, will be loads faster then rowing. Quiet, reliable, should be ideal for getting from spot to spot. You'll need at least a 9,9 later if you want to plain without moving weight around all the time.