Norshor's 4650 Deep/Wide Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norshor

Reaction score
Hello to everyone that has provided information and tips on this site. This place is a wealth of knowledge!

I purchased this boat with the intention of having a deep/wide tiller rig for inland lakes in northern Minnesota. We have a lot of wilderness lakes that are limited to 10 hp motors. I need to be able to run my 9.9 as efficiently as I can. I also have to run a 2 stroke, because the motor will occasionally ride on the rack of my wheeler or in the back of a truck or camper on backroads. I also plan on getting back into duck hunting again, as I have 2 yellow labs that look longingly every time they see a flight of greenheads go over when we are chasing grouse or pheasants.

I was running a 1400 Northwoods, with a 15" transom, but with a new addition to our family coming in early June, I felt it necessary to get a bigger boat. I really like my outboard and trailer, so I hooked up my fishing buddy with the Northwoods and spent months trying to find this Mirrorcraft. They are very sought after up here, because a lot of BWCA guides put portage wheels on them and run them into Basswood. Tracker/Fisher/Lowe no longer make the really deep 14' outfitters (or so I am told by the dealers) so I had to look for a used model.

This is a 1988 Mirrocraft 4560 Deep/Wide. Weighs under 200lbs, 14' long, 64" wide, 30" at the bow with a 15" drop transom. I found it 3 hours south in the Twin Cities. Turns out the guy who had it on Craigslist is a mile from my parent's house and we worked together at Gander Mountain 12 years ago. Small world. He bought it years ago, from an old guy who never used it. He pulled the console (worthless with a non tilt motor) , built a blind system (which he kept) and did a nice camo paint job inside and out. He used Parker's duckboat paint from Cabela's with a homemade stencil and drywall tape.

My intentions for adding a floor, is to keep it modular, easily removed (so I can wheel portage the boat for a guide trip, put it on top of a camper or run it back into the woods with the wheeler) and give our new little boy a place to hang out in the boat. I used 2x2's and some leftover cabinet material that I had laying around. They are only attached in 2 spots so I can easily remove them by pulling a few screws. I will be adding another floor in between the front 2 seats, and then a bow deck below the level of the front seat with a hatch for battery and anchor storage. I have a pin mount for the front seat, and will pop a post in/out for fishing/ running up on step.

I need to put a deck on top for my bowmount trolling motor. I was just planning on keeping my stern mount Minn Kota, but there is no room with the angle of the drop transom. I will eventually put a kicker dropdown mount on the back, and run a 25 hp 4 stroke main motor, and jockey my 9.9 over for bigwater fishing on Superior.

I need any advice you can give about building the bow deck and trolling motor platform.I have done quite a bit of searching, but still want more ideas. I am also torn between what to get for a bow mount, but I will throw that in a different thread.

I don't have much for pics right now, but here's what I have so far.

Camera phone pic the day I got it.
04101018012.jpg

Rear decks/floor installed.
IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

I would be careful putting a 25 4t and a the 9.9 on there b/c that would be over 220 lbs hanging over the back. In rough water that could get tricky especially if it's tiller steer 25

:WELCOME: to TinBoats.

Great looking rig. Make sure to check out all the V-Hull mods for inspiration.

nick4634 said:
I would be careful putting a 25 4t and a the 9.9 on there b/c that would be over 220 lbs hanging over the back. In rough water that could get tricky especially if it's tiller steer 25
Thanks for the the advice. On our LaCroix Guideboat, we run a 9.9 Johnson and a beast of a Yamaha 30 hp at the same time on a 16' Lund. I realllllyyyy doubt I will be doing much on the Big Lake, other than running out of the Safeharbors for Loopers and Cohos in the spring. Pretty much my lowest priority right now, thanks for the advice.

I see you have your torlling motor on the bow but battery at the stern. What was the setup you had to connect them? Guage wire?

That's my old stern mount Minnkota that I temporarily hooked on the front to see if the shaft was long enough. Not even close.

I am in the process of installing a deck up front right now, and I added a Minnkota bowmount up front and moved the battery. I have 20' of 8ga wire that a buddy of mine is going to pick up for me at the marine dealer he works at. If I find that I added too much weight up front, I will move the battery to the back again.

2 weeks until gamefish opener!

Got a little done on my project this weekend. The bow deck is almost finished, just need to cut out the carpet for the hatch and attach the lid. I mounted my front pedestal, as well as my stern seat. The trolling motor mount is still loose, I will drop a post under the deckplate to secure the front of the bow platform. I did not attach anything permanently as there is a chance of rain.

Have to mount rodholders, trolling motor and new gps, wire lights, make a transom saver and replace my fuel pump as well. At least I won't be bored!

The only pic I took. More to follow!

0502101828.jpg

Made a few more additions this spring. The trolling motor is mounted and works great. I installed all my light bases (Perko Camo of course), Perk Camo cleats, upright and trolling rod holders, gps, a Cabela's bench seat pad for the center and the ladder extension guide-ons. I have been spending all my free time with our new baby, or on the water.

Oh, and I picked up a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke that has had 1 full season's use on it. It sat pm the back of a Lake Superior rig for the last 8 years as a kicker, and they used it once. Rebuilt the carb, checked everything over and tuned it up. I could not be happier :p

I'll get better pics if I ever get out by myself to actually sit back and take decent shots.

When we brought him home from the hospital, I needed to find a place for him while my wife went in and checked on our impatient Yellow Labs. This seemed like the perfect spot. He was right at home.
26693_408514491499_612771499_507805.jpg

I built 2x2 frame, then attached it with 90 degree galvanized decking supports (I painted them and the boat's aluminum so I won't have problems) to the front of the seat. Then I padded the front of the frame and attached it with a vertical support so the chine of the boat wasn't take the weight. That support is attached to the trolling motor deck. it takes about five or 10 minutes to pull it off for duck season, or I can leave it in there for the dogs to have a dry deck.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who fishes barefoot on my boat. Boat looks good, keep it up.

Latest posts