Old Alumacraft Shallow V, New Design

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally had some time off work and finsihed painting the boat. It was too cold out to use the power painter so I had to move it back into my garage and use a small 4" fine metal roller to put on the last couple of coats. I just have to get it back on the trailer this weekend and I can finally start on the fun stuff. I was messing around and decided to go ahead and take off the transom mount on the back of the boat (see below). I am planning on using plywood and covering that with 1/8" sheet metal and using silcone around the edges to seal it off. Hope to have some more pictures up after this weekend with some major improvements done. Everyone have a Great Thanksgiving!!!! :beer:

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,335
This was a great weekend for working on the boat, I don't think that I left the garage this weekend except to go to Ace a couple of times. I got a lot done, but most importantly I finished up the Transom. I have posted pics below. I also got most of my wiring done and completely installed my livewell as well. I will have pics of those when they are completely finished and I have them looking nice. Let me know what you guys think.IMG_0267.jpgIMG_0270.jpgIMG_0271.jpgIMG_0272.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0281.jpgIMG_0273.jpg

Well, I had some more free time last night and made a few more mod's to the ole' boat. I started by cutting out a portion of my front deck. I still plan on decking back to the middle seat as well, but will have to get another sheet of plywood and lay across to the boat since the boat is wider than 4 foot. Anyways, then I stole an idea from Old Bill and made my own fishfinder holder. I love it, I think that is one of the neatest things I have done so far. I would have never thought of something like that. I it is perfect to see while driving down the lake. Great job Old Bill =D> . Anyways, I have attached some more pictures for you all to see.IMG_0291.jpgIMG_0290.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0298.jpg

I am going to begin to work on the floor in the back of the boat. Do you guys think that it will be alright to screw 2x2's to the bottom of the seat across to the other seat for my floor to set on? Or will this put to much tension on my seats and cause them to start pulling away from the sides of the boat? Its an old boat, seems to be in really good shape but I don't want to do alot of harm to her if I don't have to. I thought if I could do that it would be easier that building a frame for the bottom of a boat that really don't have a flat part to it, with the cruvature of the bottom. Let me know what you guys think. I have tried to draw the braces on the picture below, never been know for my artisic abilities, but hope it helps explain what I was trying to say. Then my flooring will set on top of those braces.

Attachments

• floor plan.JPG
    floor plan.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,177
ben2go said:
I'd build a frame.The seat metal will crack and tear out over time.Especially with people walking on it.

What do you think if I put braces that go from the braces down to the floor, would that help distribute the weight and take the pressure off of the seat? Just an Idea?

Big Buck said:
ben2go said:
I'd build a frame.The seat metal will crack and tear out over time.Especially with people walking on it.

What do you think if I put braces that go from the braces down to the floor, would that help distribute the weight and take the pressure off of the seat? Just an Idea?

That's the way I'd do it.Run braces down to the ribs, that run across the bottom of the boat.

Well guys, I am finally seeing my project take shape and let me tell you I am loving every minute of it, not sure the wife is (Spending alot of time in the garage) but then again maybe she is, doesn't seem to be complaing about it, lol :lol: I am still not sure if I want to use the seat pedastool that is shown, I picked that up at Dicks this weekend for a buck, I figured if I don't like it I am not out much, but I really think that I want one this is removeable, I really don't ever sit down when I am bass fishing, only need a seat for Crappie and Catfish, so therefore I need a seat that I can remove. Anyways, I was able to go ahead and get my center deck cut last night as well as cut out the hole for the livewell. I need your guys opinion on this part. On the livewell I would like it to fit really tight in there like it is now, so is it ok not to tuck the carpet under the deck around the livewell or is it imparitive that I do so? Need some help on this. I have attached some picture below of the progress. I also had some spare 1" PVC laying around so I built a guide and hopefully a place to mount my lights, not sure if they are going to be stable enough to hold them while driving down the highway, so if you have any ideas on a way to beef those up as well please do tell. Hope you enjoy the pics. :beer: IMG_0312.jpgIMG_0313.jpgIMG_0314.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0319.jpgIMG_0320.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

Awesome boat Buck! After all this Christmas stuff is over my wife will not be seing me for a while as well. Hope you and yours have a merry one!

Goo work.It's coming along nicely.I would roll the carpet around the edges where the live well cooler is.It will prevent chafing and help it to last longer.Also a piece of carpet on the areas where the bottom of the cooler will prevent chafing and leaks.

I didn't have much time this weekend to work on the boat, but I did find time to make a compartment for the switch panel, areator switch and a place for a few bait boxes. It is nothing special but I really like the way it looks. I also started to frame up the front deck, I don't have pics of that yet but I will try to get those up tom. I am using 2x4's for the front and then going to use 2x2's in the back. I also went and got a rubbermaid tub and framed that into my deck for storage, just need to get the door cut out for that. Well if I don't get anymore pics up before Christmas, I hope you all have a Merry One!!!. \:D/

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,310
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,310
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,310
Wow - you have come a long way. You've definitely turned this into one killer bass boat.. Can't wait to see the finished product! Great Job!

I know this may sound stupid, but what is front stick steer or tiller mean? Not really too familer with those terms. I just planned on putting my trolling motor up there with a mount that I created, unless I can figure a way to use a foot controlled mount with a hand controlled motor. Maybe I should lean towards what you guys are talking about.

Thanks

It means the trolling motor is controlled by the handle that comes off the head rather than a foot controlled trolling motor. The tiller is the handle or stick. Cool boat man really enjoying watching the build!

who pooted? said:
It means the trolling motor is controlled by the handle that comes off the head rather than a foot controlled trolling motor. The tiller is the handle or stick. Cool boat man really enjoying watching the build!

Close but not what I meant.A tiller motor is an outboard motor controlled by hand.A stick steer set up controls the out board with a stick instead of a steering wheel.

This is a tiller motor.
mariner-blury-side.jpg

This is a stick steer set up.The stick turns the motor and the controls are on the other side for the motor.
sticksteer-1.jpg

Latest posts