Old Alumacraft Shallow V, New Design

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, thats kinda what I thought but was not for sure. I am going to go with the tiller motor. The boat came with an 1967 18 horse Johnson that I plan on using. It has an electric start that has been added to it that I plan on mounting right under the depth finder for easy access while I am sitting. I plan on wiring that up when the deck is complete and I will post pictures of what I mean. Thanks for the imput.

I agree.go with what ya got.I got a free 5HP Gamefisher outboard,needed work,and still working on it.It's not gonna cost much to finish it.

Well some more time in the garage last night was pretty productive. I finshed up my deck support for the front and began work on the middle support. I am using 2x4 hangers to hold the main supports to the seats and then using 2x4 ran to the floor of the boat for add. support. I have tried to show you that in the pictures. For the storage I went to wal-mart and bought a 5.00 rubbermaid tote and cut the top of it off so that it would fit flush with the support that way my lid will lay flat on top. I still need to cut out my lid but thought that i would wait until I found a piano hinge. I then started on my middle section and have most done, still have a little work to do around the batterys and run some supports down to the floor but I will post more pics when that is finished. Hope you enjoy and please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,284
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,282
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,281
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,284
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,280
I am going to use carpet, I found some at Home Depot. After I get everything built, i am probally going to have to go back and trim out about 1/4 inch to make room for the carpet to fit around the edges, so I can tuck under the board. We'll see how it goes. What did you or others do how much did you allow for the carpet when you built yours.

Nice work on the supports, decking, and tote install ! 8)

I believe most people have left about 1/4" to allow for the carpet, but may vary due to the type/thickness of carpet used. My rig came with metal flooring and the one fwd [metal] hatch and the rear access hatch I have did not have room enough to fold any under or between the hatch lid and the surrounding frame, so I just glued it all down then cut the openings with a sharp razor knife. The lid of the 5' storage box on the port side was the only place I had room to roll the carpet under. I (and others) have used the Henry 663 outdoor glue from Lowe's. I've had no problems with carpet lifting/seperating from the floor or hatches.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113

I used the rubber backed carpet from Lowes.. If you go back to where their carpet is, they should have rolls bound up in plastic wrap. These are usually the remnants left over near the end of the roll. They don't count how many yards of carpet are on there, just estimate it and put a price on it. I bought one of the rolls because the sticker said $18. I got enough carpet out of that to do my whole boat and I have some left over, so they made a mistake!

I didn't go all the way to the edges in the front with my deck, I used the space between the deck and the sidewalls to hold a plano box or 2 on each side. I cut the carpet to the wood first though, then did a dry fit. If I had to make any cuts, I cut the board and then tucked the carpet and stapled it to the underside of the deck. It's better to have more carpet than not enough which is why I cut the carpet first. I think I ended up shaving about 1/4" off total (1/8 each side, or just a blade width)... but I didn't cut the board to be exact either, so you may be more or less

Well guys let me start off by saying I hope you all had a great Christmas. I know I did. I would also like to thank the person whoever created gift cards. There is nothing better than getting a hand full of Bass Pro Gift cards on Christmas morning. :lol: So anyways, we made are annual day after Christmas trip to Bass Pro, I am only about two hours from the Springfield, MO store, for those of you that have not made it to this store, you really need too. Its great. Out back of the main store they have their catalog outlet. This is where they sell the things that have been returned through catalog sales and have marked the price down to a very low price. For instance, i was able to get my mounting bracket, seat peadastol and seat mount all of only $30.00. They were all Springfield Spring Lock Brand. I then went into the store and priced them all and I would have cost over $75.00 in there. I just love it. =D> I picked up several other things as well and had plently of time this weekend to get most of it put on, including lights, trolling motor plug, trolling motor mount, and rod holders. I am still working on getting seat mounted, and I also got a trolling motor handle extension, i am not sure about it thought, it seems it may be too long, i will have to wait and see. I am getting excited, I can almost see the finsihed project in my head. I am planning on starting to water proof this week and hopefully get to start carpeting within in the next two weeks. I want to make sure that everything is correct and working before I carpet. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on my design, this is my first time and am just kinda of winging it. Do you think that the weight of the wood is going to be an issue????

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,156
I know this suggestion might be late, but are you sure you wanna mount that switch panel on the floor? Seems like all it would take is a wrong step to knock off a switch or break that accessory panel? I'm ordering the same one for my boat, and I was favoring mounting it on or near the transom, but anyhow, just my .02. Rest of your project looks awesome!!

jirwin6985 said:
Hey Buck how do you like that trolling motor mount Ive been contemplateing one but was wondering if it seems sturdy. Is that the same ones ive seen on ebay?
Joe

Yeah, i think that it will work fine, i bought mine at the Bass Pro Shops Outlet store and it was missing a few parts, well the most important parts, the one that holds it to the floor and keeps it from moving. I need to find away to keep it from moving side to side, which shouldn't be that hard, but once I get that figured out it should be fine and I am excited to try it out.

Well its been along time since i have had a chance to work on the boat. Last night I stripped it all down and am getting it ready for water proofing. I bought a latex based sealer, since i am using glue for the carpet, the guy at Ace told me that the Latex based would work better than the oil based. How many coats do you guys recommend puting on the wood before carpeting.

Thanks

Great work so far. I too have an old Alumacraft shallow v boat with a 18hp Johnson. I have been gathering the parts for my build, couple sheets of plywood, carpet and wire is all I need. I hope to begin on it within the next couple of weeks.

Man it seems like I have completely ran out of time to get to work on the boat here of late. However, I have found some time to make a few upgrades before I get my carpet, which I ordered last week, hope to have it here by the end of next. Anyways, I have added some pictures of my starter switch that I have added and my new pedestal seat base that I created for the back of the boat. I got a base, 9" pedestal and seat mount for 29.99 on ebay the other day, I thought it was a hell of a deal. I also had to beef up my trolling motor mount to keep it from flexing, so I added three lag bolts to hold her in place. Well, other than that I am pretty much at a stand still until I get my carpet in. Then I should be able to finish her up. I am ready to go fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,219
Wow! We just joined this site today, and this thread on your boat is amazing! You say you are "winging it" but you must have some carpenter experience or something because I am awe!

We purchased a shallow V this weekend on Craigslist as well. We have no hopes of anything as beautiful as yours, but will be doing some work on it to make it sea worthy.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Carol

Well the long wait has finally arrived. I recieved my carpet this week and have wasted no time in getting to work on it. I have attached a few pictures below of the middle deck and back floor. I am learning as I go but I am impressed so far by how it has turned out. I am going to have to make some mods to the front to get it to fit in there now with the carpet but I think I have a pretty good idea in mind. I have attaached a few pics for you guys to take a look at. Let me know what you think.

One more thing i need to ask. After you roll the carpet over and staple to the back, you create a gap in between the deck and the supports. I would say about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Has any one else noticed this and what did you do about it. Do you use shims or will just screwing the deck down bring the deck to the supports. Just a thought and was curious on what you guys have done in the past.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,218
i had the same issue, the carpet will just squish down and not cause a problem. i had rivets on the bench seats that stopped it from seating down, so i dabbed some crayon on top of the rivets and then carefully pressed the plywood on top, this gave me exact locations to drill a shallow relief hole with a forstner bit on the bottom of deck.

Latest posts