Owned for 25 years and never got to take it out.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the numbers and they are A6-15963, now you have me wonder how old this boat is!
So it appears it's a 1961.
400 units cranked out that year. (the standard A model was introduced in 1947. It was their first Erich Swenson design, I believe.)
*as a neat side story, I see a notation that the oar locks, the non-skid floor, and the bow eye began with #15933. So you're 30 boats in to the good stuff. lol

So it appears it's a 1961.
400 units cranked out that year. (the standard A model was introduced in 1947. It was their first Erich Swenson design, I believe.)
*as a neat side story, I see a notation that the oar locks, the non-skid floor, and the bow eye began with #15933. So you're 30 boats in to the good stuff. lol
That is great! Thank a ton. So it has 2 sets of oar locks, my question is what should I do with or to? The transom needs beefing up. After I clean it up should I make it like it was? Or should I do something custom? And if I keep it original, the trailer is a mess for sure, do I rebuild it to original? Then I could pull behind my grandma's 55. I really not sure what to do with it. Or could just sell it to someone that would appreciate it.

Attachments

• samcrimm-5.jpg
    samcrimm-5.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
That is great! Thank a ton. So it has 2 sets of oar locks, my question is what should I do with or to? The transom needs beefing up. After I clean it up should I make it like it was? Or should I do something custom? And if I keep it original, the trailer is a mess for sure, do I rebuild it to original? Then I could pull behind my grandma's 55. I really not sure what to do with it. Or could just sell it to someone that would appreciate it.
Only you can make that call but, towing it with Grandma’s 55 sounds like fun.

As noted, it's your new old boat. It's a good problem to have, in my opinion.
As for the two sets of oarlocks, that just allows you to row from two different positions. Find a nice set of aluminum oars and use your keepers (the hoops on the side) to keep them handy.
Personally, I like the ones found here...https://oceansouth.us/product-category/oars-paddles-boathooks/oars/
As for the transom, it's rated 12hp, so it's not going to take a lot. Just avoid anything treated. The factory used wood inside and outside as a sandwich. Your total thickness needs to be around 1.5"

If it were me, I'd be on the lookout for a nice offseason deal on a QD-22, a set of oars, a set of trailer bearings, and some sealed ply. Maybe a can of rustoleum or two and then go fishing to think about the rest of it.

Attachments

• QD-22_0.jpg
    QD-22_0.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
I agree with Mbullen. Clean it up and make it seaworthy. Then, build/modify it for YOUR fishing. Someone here might want to set it up for bass, but for all we know, you'll be going after panfish, northern, and Muskies.

Roger

To me it looks like a sheet of aluminum was added to the transom and sealed around the edges.

My motor vehicle department has a rule on how far trailer tail lights can be from the back of the boat. If the trailer lights were too far back under the boat, maybe those tail lights on the boat were the remedy to be in compliance. At least that was the first thing that occurred to me.
makes sense!

I personally can say no one can really tell you what to do with it// & it all depends on your heart! How much do you really care about this boat if you have time patience? or do you prefer to hand to another who may have the ability to do what is needed to get it back to what it once was or what it could be! this call is in your pocket!
As for the taillight's I like the idea'! wouldn't be too bad out on water either as marker's while mooring, dense fog etc. & your statement of help here, yeah!! it's top Noch. Is why I choose to be a supporter.

Last edited:

Well, if you are counting votes, mine is to keep it like it was as much as possible. I always enjoy seeing old boats that have been well cared for.

Here is what I am thinking, If I kept the boat like it is, it not what I think I want to fish out of, now I could fix it up like pictured BUT do I really want to ruin an good old boat like this? Then on the other hand if I sold this one and got another similar boat, what's the difference? And on top of that I will need to get a trailer for it. I could get a good used fishing boat that the wife and I could use, then again I don't fish enough to spend 5000.00 on a use boat either. That is why I have fixed up the jet ski for me. Give me some input and ideas. Thanks Sam

Attachments

• tiny boat.jpg
    tiny boat.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
You could put a sub floor in, even with the bottom of the seats and put the floatation foam under it. Get some 5-7" pedestals and seats. Then turn the rest of the seats into storage, hatches in the wood or flip up. That will give you the safety of the foam, storage, some good even fishing areas, and still have some original looks. Plus it'll still be good for just cruising with the wife.
And if you decide to go full Tiny Boat, you've got the subfloor done.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I found Tiny Boat Nation and decided to get a tin boat. My boat is a 1960 Arkansas Traveler. And after having her for a could months, I'm wanting to keep her as original as possible but still turn her into a fishing machine. I fish a lot though.

Here is what I am thinking, If I kept the boat like it is, it not what I think I want to fish out of, now I could fix it up like pictured BUT do I really want to ruin an good old boat like this? Then on the other hand if I sold this one and got another similar boat, what's the difference? And on top of that I will need to get a trailer for it. I could get a good used fishing boat that the wife and I could use, then again I don't fish enough to spend 5000.00 on a use boat either. That is why I have fixed up the jet ski for me. Give me some input and ideas. Thanks Sam
Well it sounds like your not really committed to restoring the boat. If you not really interested in having a classic boat in it's near original condition then me thinks it better to sell it to someone who perhaps would restore it and then just shop around for another affordable boat. I love old classic Alumacrafts myself...(own 4 or them) and when using them I often hear "what a neat old boat you have there" at the ramps, gas stations etc. But that said..........each to their own.......:))

Attachments

• 20220327_195034.jpg
    20220327_195034.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
The A hull is maxed out at 12hp. That's not going to push around a load of plywood, framing, and multiple people.
Keep it for a nostalgic weekend or move it along would be my suggestion.
If tiny boat is your end game, be on the lookout for a 14 footer rated for 30-40hp.

The A hull is maxed out at 12hp. That's not going to push around a load of plywood, framing, and multiple people.
Keep it for a nostalgic weekend or move it along would be my suggestion.
If tiny boat is your end game, be on the lookout for a 14 footer rated for 30-40hp.

you brought up things that I didn't think about too, weight and right now all I have a 5.5 to move it around. Thanks!