redo......again.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
some of you may remember my thread about modifying my boat with treated wood and then finding out the copper in wood hates aluminum. i had planned on redoing it again this winter with aluminum after i realized some better ideas after finishing the first time. so i did replace the floors and deck with regular wood and sealed it myself and ended up using half inch ply instead of the three quarter i originally used to reduce the weight and it made a big differen ce. well it didnt take as long as i thought to hoard the aluminum(square stock,angle,flat bar etc...)needed to do it from work. my boat 4 benches in it and im gonna remove the bench in the middle between the front deck(the third and the small bench on the bow support my deck) and the back bench so i can have more space to install 2 posts/seats. i have a way to replace the support the bench removal will lose that will be 99% out of the way of being a tripping hazard. instead of using square stock to support the new floor i was thinking about just using 2 peices of the square stock for the sides of the floor and using pourable foam to support the rest and to replace the foam filled bench and the 2 squares behind the rear bench on each side that are foam filled also for flotation. anybody ever used foam to support their floor? i found a product that cures solid as a rock and is feather light. i will also cut a channel down the middle of it between the hull and(into)foam to allow for drainage to the bilge. any thoughts or improvement ideas are certainly welcome. thanks....

I cant remember where I saw it on here but someone used pourable foam under thier floor. I remember they had some thin aluminum that they cut into little sections and taped over the keels to keep the foam from filling them in. Then poured the foam inbetween the ribs. any that expanded up and over the ribs he used a long bread knife to shave off even with the ribs. Then he put the floor over that. Seems like alot of work though. I just used foam boards in between the ribs. easy!

reedjj said:
I cant remember where I saw it on here but someone used pourable foam under thier floor. I remember they had some thin aluminum that they cut into little sections and taped over the keels to keep the foam from filling them in. Then poured the foam inbetween the ribs. any that expanded up and over the ribs he used a long bread knife to shave off even with the ribs. Then he put the floor over that. Seems like alot of work though. I just used foam boards in between the ribs. easy!
I'll 2nd the foam boards, real easy, and seemed to work well

Latest posts