Remove this Foam or Leave it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoedawg

Reaction score
I just got done removing a rotted deck from my project (see my sig for link). There is foam that is sitting in the front of the boat that is in OK shape and not really rotting apart. I am on the fence of keeping it there. I am sure it was there when the manufacturer built the boat.

The boat is getting re-decked with aluminum, which will cover the foam. I plan on using foam boards as well, on the bottom between those "support beams" (not sure of the terminology) that run along the length of the bottom of the boat. I think the beams have foam already in them, for there are holes on top of them filled with foam. I assume the holes were there to fill those beams with foam. You can see the holes in the upper middle portion of the pic.

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to add any more foam (foam boards) between those beams or is that just over kill?

2. Will the foam boards between those beams impeded on any drainage issue. What if I raised the foam off the bottom to provide drainage. I did wash the inside of the boat, and the beams act like a tunnel to flow water to the back of the boat.

Front of Boat Foam.jpg

I would definitely get rid of that foam and replace with closed cell. Make sure you got drainage to the rear and put in a autobilge pump and your good to go. Can't have too much foam. Make sure it will float if swamped otherwise whats the point?
Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. I just took another look at the foam. Some of it does need to come out. Some of it is pretty hard. It did get sprayed with water, and does not seem to get too saturated. Does old foam eventually rot out and lose it performance value?

Thanks for the reply Tim. I just took another look at the foam. Some of it does need to come out. Some of it is pretty hard. It did get sprayed with water, and does not seem to get too saturated. Does old foam eventually rot out and lose it performance value?

Latest posts