Schuylkill River, PA 2/1/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
With a forecast of lighter winds, and temps in the mid 40's, I had to get out today and wet a line. The past few days have been on the warmer side, so the river has started to finally open up again. I mean at least some of it. I couldn't fish my winter hotspots due to ice, but did get to find some new productive areas. Most of the day was more or less driving up river trying to locate some open water. The first 2 spots I checked were a bust. I had the wife with me so the adventure through the ice was kind of limited. I found a nice stretch of river I could wade, and she could follow along from the bank. Besides, some of the spots I tried to fish were very sketchy with the ice, so I was glad I had someone to watch my back. I had forgot to pack some of my custom jigs, so I had no choice but to fish a variety of hair jigs that I wanted to fish last. I did some serious wading today. I think I walked over 2 miles today in some very cold water. Luckily I came across a deeper hole that held some fish. Every time I use hair jigs I always will fair hook some carp, so it was no suprise to catch 2 carp today. The first fish to hit had me thinking I had a state record smallie on, until I got it close enough to see it was actually a mid-teen pound carp. I was using light flouro, so the battle was short lived without a net to land him. 3 cast later, and I was back on another carp. This one was alot smaller, so I knew he was getting his picture taken. After catching 2 carp from that hole, I knew it was holding other fish, and it was. After about 200 cast into the same area, I coaxed 2 dink smallies into biting.Not very productive, but it felt good to keep it local. Besides being a slower day, I did get to fish a new stretch of river that I will def. keep in mind for spring. We took some pics today, just to show what we were up against.

The first spot which I decided not to fish. I was to worried about falling through, or even how I was going to land a fish once I caught it.
Picture1658.jpg

Just about every area I went to looked a little something like this.
Picture1657.jpg

Picture1665.jpg

Picture1648.jpg

Picture1650.jpg

Picture1651.jpg

The water is getting warmer. It's a whopping 36 degrees now.
Picture1652.jpg

Picture1663.jpg

Latest posts