Schuylkill River, PA 4/8/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
Due to the awesome economy, and lack of work, I was granted one of many more days to have off. Otherwise, this time of year is heating up fishing wise, so I ain't complaning. The plan last night was to wake up early today, and hit some local bass holes, but I knew the weather was not going to be favorable for that. After a short detour through town, I was on my way to the river in search of the bronze beasts. I checked out a few spots first for activity, and instantly knew the day was going to be a long one. The water temps had dropped about 4 degrees in 2 days, and the weather conditions just weren't going to be good for a enjoyable session. When I first arrived, I threw a handful of boilies, and maize in where I have known carp to frequent. After about and hour I was ready to pack it up, with no more then some wind sounding my alarms. I was even witness to a fast moving snow shower. And then not a moment sooner, my drag was screaming, and the fight was on. Just as quick as I played it to the bank, the hook had pulled, and fish was gone. My next 2 fish turned out to be more of the same. I was using a hair rig which was just continuing to loose fish, so I decided to switch to a flouro leader with a very small mosquito hook. The 4th fish got landed quick, and was the biggest of the day. Just over 5 hours later, I had 12 fish on, but only landed 3. Never had such a problem before with hooks tearing from a carps lips, but that's what makes fishing so challenging.
Not to mention this had to be one of the most consistant days since fall of 08.

16lbs
Picture1697.jpg

13lbs
Picture1698.jpg

11lbs
Picture1699.jpg

Those are sure some big fish. I never been carp fishing....
Are these really big ones or do they get alot bigger?
Whats the biggest carp you have caught mr fish?

Oh, they def. Get bigger. My biggest was a 23lber. But I am fishing some crap areas of the river. Down in the tidal areas around philly, guys are catching them up to mid 30's. I even heard of a fish over 40 almost being landed, but without a net,and a noodle rod they couldn't bank it. I plan on beating my pb this year with a 30 plus in the tidal river.

Those are some strong looking fish.
Do they fight better at different times of year,like if it ever warms up.

Zum said:
Those are some strong looking fish.
Do they fight better at different times of year,like if it ever warms up.

Once the water temps hit 60, they'll be fighting like freight trains. Consistant drag burning runs every fish. Alot of guys use them as target practice, and just hate them because thier a trash fish. But if you know how to target them, and catch them on some lighter tackle, they can be one of the best fish to fight pound for pound.

Don't have any true carp here but have heard that some people have some big goldfish and those coi in ponds.
They target them and say when they hook them(which is hard to do)they fight real well.

Me and Dave saw a huge Koi in Bargintown lake the other day (ive heard there is a bunch more too!!). Let me know if you want to target them one day, id show you the secrete spot lol!! Nice carp and I too am impressed with your background work!!

Awsome fish! I plan on doing some carp fishing this year, got a few spots scoped out in the Phoenixville area. Hope to get some monsters.

Latest posts