Sea Ark 1652-SLD Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassMaster52

Reaction score
Hello all, I'd like to start by thanking you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge and projects completed. I'm just starting my first aluminum boat project and all of your ideas, pictures, and knowledge have given me inspiration and confidence to start one of my own. I have a 16 foot Sea Ark with a modified V hull. This boat was sold to me with a 15hp Johnson tiller motor and was otherwise very "stock". I will share some of the plans tomorrow, but for now, here are a few pictures of the boat at the start of the project. Any suggestions or thoughts along the way are much appreciated.

Attachments

• Sea Ark Project 003.jpg
    Sea Ark Project 003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,809
  • Sea Ark Project 004.jpg
    Sea Ark Project 004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,809
  • Sea Ark Project 001.jpg
    Sea Ark Project 001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,809
  • Sea Ark Project 005.jpg
    Sea Ark Project 005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,809
  • Sea Ark Project 006.jpg
    Sea Ark Project 006.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,809
Looks like a great boat. I like the layout. Looking forward to seeing your project!

The main goal of this project was to take the 2005 15hp Johnson tiller motor off the boat and install a side console with a remote controlled 2002 40hp Mercury EFI 4-stroke which I purchased a few months back. As my friend and I discussed the project, more and more of the options we discussed became plans. As mentioned earlier, I bought this boat stock and it had no navigation lights, a small gas tank, a very small lawn mower battery, and very little storage. I plan to use this boat as a crabbing and duck hunting boat and wanted to convert this plain aluminum boat into a safe, reliable, and functional vessel. With this in mind, here is a list of most of the upgrades I will be doing: steering system and wheel, 9 gallon fuel tank with sending unit and fuel gauge, mercury tachometer, three small storage hatches, 2 dual purpose batteries, GPS, Stereo, two additional pin style seat bases with reinforcement plates, small bilge pump, navigation lights, side console, fuse box, and in-dash switch panel. The sketch below shows most of these ideas incorporated.

Attachments

• Boat Plans Sketch.jpg
    Boat Plans Sketch.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 3,707
I was able to get some work done this weekend and wanted to share my progress and pictures. I had a sheet of aluminum cut and bent to sit in between the two rear seat boxes. This metal will be fitted and riveted down to 2"x2" aluminum angle to create a sturdy storage compartment. You will also see in the pictures that I had a divider made that will serve as a support and will divide the storage compartment. The rear portion will house my new gas tank and the front will be a storage box. I was able to get a rough dry fit of the rear storage compartments as well as cut out two of the hatches in the rear seat boxes. The hatch doors are from Cabelas. I also got in my new seat reinforcement plates (14" x 16" .125 aluminum) and was able to place them in position for pictures. My speakers came in as well and I was able to cut the rear speaker holes in the front sides of the rear seat boxes. I will be installing 8" Bazooka camouflage speakers in the rear and 6 1/2" Bazooka camouflage speakers in the front. You can also see in the pictures, I was able to dry fit my front navigation light and cleats. You will notice that the front nav light has a horseshoe around it. It came on the boat and gave me pretty good luck last crabbing season so I think I will leave it.

Nice boat to start with, big and wide, should be a real stable roomy platform. What was / is that pipe used for that is sticking out of the rear starboard flotation pod?

Thanks Gill, Fool, and Earl. One thing I will promise is lots of pictures! I want to document the transformation of this boat. And Earl, that piece of pipe is something the original owner put on the boat. He screwed a curved piece of pvc into the metal pipe to use as a "J hook" for crabbing (trot line). I took it off and plan to make my own rig that mounts to the rail and is adjustable (front to back) on the rail. So here are the pics of the work I got accomplished this weekend and of the motor that is going on later.

Attachments

• Front compartment.JPG
    Front compartment.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Rear dryfit with speakers frontview.JPG
    Rear dryfit with speakers frontview.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Rear dryfit with speakers.JPG
    Rear dryfit with speakers.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Rear Dryfit.JPG
    Rear Dryfit.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Rear dryfit top view.JPG
    Rear dryfit top view.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 3,687
  • rear compartment divider.JPG
    rear compartment divider.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Rear compartment divider support.JPG
    Rear compartment divider support.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Hatch and speaker holes.JPG
    Hatch and speaker holes.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Hatch holes.JPG
    Hatch holes.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Aluminum bent for compartment.JPG
    Aluminum bent for compartment.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 3,687
  • front view no nav lights.JPG
    front view no nav lights.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Nav light and horseshoe frontview.JPG
    Nav light and horseshoe frontview.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Nav light and horseshoe topview.JPG
    Nav light and horseshoe topview.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Speakers 8in.JPG
    Speakers 8in.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Mercury 40 1.JPG
    Mercury 40 1.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Mercury 40 2.JPG
    Mercury 40 2.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 3,687
Hey man, I think your boat is some junk and should take it to the scrap yard and get the $20 it's worth!

earl60446 said:
Nice boat to start with, big and wide, should be a real stable roomy platform. What was / is that pipe used for that is sticking out of the rear starboard flotation pod?

D@mn! I just KNEW he was gonna say "periscope"

fishtotheface said:
Hey man, I think your boat is some junk and should take it to the scrap yard and get the $20 it's worth!

Excuse me, sir. Let's try and keep the thread on topic. [-X

Looks good so far, Bassmaster52. Keep up the good work!

Hey BassMaster52, I heard that your trailer is in better shape then your Sea Ark. I'll buy the trailer for $35.

I love my Bass Master. I just want to go crabbing this year. I will bring the fun!!!!! As usual. Nance go bed now. WAKE UP BETTY.

Latest posts