Sears 12ft Jon Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks really good, im about to add the electric to mine, good stuff.

Today I bracketed on a piece of wood to create a storage area where the front bench will be the bottom of the compartment. I installed a toggle switch for the depth finder. Glued the foam into the floor, but forgot to take a pic. Started mock fitting everything together which was pretty cool because you start to get a feel for what it's going to look like when it's finished. I cut out the outer board for the transom, so once I can get some more staining done I'll be able to start bolting the rear together. I cut-out 2 doors in the top and bottom of the front deck for storage. Hopefully more to come here soon.

Attachments

• day 16d.jpg
    day 16d.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,391
  • day 16c.jpg
    day 16c.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • day 16b.jpg
    day 16b.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • day 16a.jpg
    day 16a.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 1,391
  • day 16.jpg
    day 16.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,391
Installed some quick disconnects last night for the trolling motor. This way I will be able to pull the motor from the boat without having to mess with unscrewing anything. All I have to do is bolt the open end to the hub I installed in the front of the boat and we should be good to go. I also applied my 3rd coat of of spar-urethane to some of the wood pieces last night, so I'm hoping to get them carpeted and maybe installed today.

Attachments

• day 17a.jpg
    day 17a.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 1,373
  • Day 17.jpg
    Day 17.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 1,373
Today was a good day for the boat project. Hooked the quick release up to the hub. Wired in the toggle switch, cleaned up the wiring and screwed in the bracket for the depth finder. The stain on the transom pieces was dry and ready to be installed. My neighbor really did a great job routing the inner piece for me. Bolted everything in with a liberal amount of silicone. I even managed to salvage the old capacity plate from the old piece. I'm going to try and get some carpeting done for the front deck so I can get it installed and mock up the troller. I'm shooting to have this thing in the water by month's end and if everything goes as planned (which it seldom does) I shouldn't have a problem meeting my goal.

Attachments

• day 17g.jpg
    day 17g.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 1,356
  • day 17f.jpg
    day 17f.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • day 17e.jpg
    day 17e.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • day 17c.jpg
    day 17c.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,356
  • day 17d.jpg
    day 17d.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,356
  • day 17b.jpg
    day 17b.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,356
Thanks for all the updates on your boat. I've really enjoyed reading everything about it because i have the same boat. My question is, when you removed part of the middle seat did you leave the rib running along the bottom of the boat? Have you been able to take it on the water yet and see if there would be any structural issues? Thank you and I'll be continuing to follow your thread.

23mako said:
Thanks for all the updates on your boat. I've really enjoyed reading everything about it because i have the same boat. My question is, when you removed part of the middle seat did you leave the rib running along the bottom of the boat? Have you been able to take it on the water yet and see if there would be any structural issues? Thank you and I'll be continuing to follow your thread.

I did leave the ribs in to cut down on hull flex. Didn't make any sense to remove them as they don't interfere with the decking at all. Unfortunately, I haven't had it in the water yet. Although I've tried not to cut any corners with the build, having the boat in the water really is the ultimate test. I've definitely put in more weight than I have removed and the design of the transom could be troublesome if not sealed properly, so I am hoping everything goes as planned. I'll keep the updates coming.

Front deck done. It's amazing how well storage covers fit before you put carpet on them. On to the back deck.

Attachments

• day 18b.jpg
    day 18b.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,380
  • day 18a.jpg
    day 18a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,380
  • day 18.jpg
    day 18.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,380
Started working on the back deck. I've got a question for anyone willing to help me out. The rear deck goes all the way flush with the transom; however, I'd like to one day mount a gas motor on the back. I'm just wondering how big of an area should I cut out of the top deck so the motor will clamp in?

Attachments

• day 19.jpg
    day 19.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,360
FOR MY 9.9 RUDE I NEEDED 9 X 14 CUT OUT IT GAVE ME ENOUGH ROOM TO GET MY GORILLA PAWS IN THERE AND DO WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the info. I was kicking around some ideas with my Dad of making an extended transom off the back to hook a motor to vs. clamping it onto the back. He's a really good welder so I know he could fab up something pretty solid. I may just put the deck on the back without making any additional cuts so I can at least get out on the water and then once I get a gas motor deal with it then. Plus the reservoir that I would mainly fish is electric only.

Home stretch. Cut everything out for the rear deck. Bolted on the troller mount. A little concerned that the motor shaft is a bit long for the boat; however, I haven't figured out if I can make it any shorter. Attached some cleats to the front deck. Clamped on the transducer mount I picked up from Basspro (didn't want to drill extra holes in the boat) to see how it would fit. Stained the last bit of wood. I'm going to try to get two more coats of urethane on tomorrow. Barring any complications I might just have this thing in the water next weekend.

Attachments

• day 20a.jpg
    day 20a.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 1,299
  • day 20.jpg
    day 20.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • day 20b.jpg
    day 20b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,299
  • day 20c.jpg
    day 20c.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,299
  • day 20d.jpg
    day 20d.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,299
Another question for you guys. Do you think a bilge pump would be overkill for a 12 footer? Debating.

If you have the means to put it in, there is no reason not to. It would suck to be in the middle of a lake and start taking on water, no matter how big or small your boat is.

Last minute add decided to throw in a bilge pump with an on/off switch. Ultimately figured I would rather put it in than regret it. Installed the floor, rear deck, and seat mounts. If I can get some work squeezed in tomorrow morning, I'm thinking I can have this project finished. Just need to test the electrical components, trim down the front seat post (it's about 6 inches too high), and add the side covers where the bench was cut out. That pretty much wraps it up.

Attachments

• day 21g.jpg
    day 21g.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21f.jpg
    day 21f.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21e.jpg
    day 21e.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21d.jpg
    day 21d.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21c.jpg
    day 21c.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21b.jpg
    day 21b.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21a.jpg
    day 21a.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21.jpg
    day 21.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 21h.jpg
    day 21h.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,255
Well it's taken me 6 months, but the boat is finally finished. Charged up the battery to test the electrical components and all system are a go. I'll see you all out on the water.

Attachments

• day 22d.jpg
    day 22d.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,251
  • day 22c.jpg
    day 22c.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,251
  • day 22b.jpg
    day 22b.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,251
  • day 22a.jpg
    day 22a.jpg