Sears 12ft Jon Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trueblue1970 said:
Great job on your boat. Any updates? How does it handle with another person in the boat? I just bought a 12' foot Sears jon myself w/trailer. Prior owner did some minor mods to it (carpet wood over benches w/ seats mounted on swivel base and a removeable floor on the back half. Seats/wood base are on hinges which makes for nice storage in the benches. Im going to take it out a few times before I decide what to change/add to it.

Thanks! It's been holding up pretty well. My buddy and I went out yesterday (combined weight about 370ish) and we had no problems. If we were any heavier I might be a little uncomfortable as it is a pretty narrow boat and the potential for flipping might be there. Also, the weight of the battery is off center so it definitely rides lower on the port side. It's by far more comfortable fishing solo as it gets a little crowded with 2 people and gear, but it's always more fun when you can get out on the lake with your people. All in all I am still incredible happy with how it has turned out.

Well all.... the project bug has officially bit me again, so after much consideration I've decided to sell this jon and start over. It's a great boat and I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out, but I'm itching to get ahold of something I can get out on bigger water (i.e. Lake Erie). If anyone is interested and in the N.E. Ohio area shoot me a P.M. Thanks!

Guys, I'm probably a little late on this post... BUT, I was just curious how 'tippy' it was with everything decked. Do you ever fish from the front deck or do you just stay down in the middle?

I have the exact same boat and was wondering what you thought before getting all the plans and everything together.

Thanks so much.

-Ryan

Latest posts