Stevens 1870 Weld Craft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormans Boatright

Reaction score
Most of yall know me by my boat " The Poormans Boatright". I had a guy get a hold of me the other day stating he had seen my build on Tin Boats and on 2Coolfishing, he was interested in doing some mods to his Weld Craft. So I drove over to his house to see what all he wanted to do. Steven (the boat owner) tells me that he is interested in adding some front rails for flounder fishing lights, kinda like on my boat. He's also wanting to add a rail type mount for a air motor over the engine, and possibly a full aluminum floor. After looking his boat over and discussing any leak issues, I told him if your going to do all this fabricating you might as well fix the bottom of the boat before we start all this. He agrees, stating the former owner jb welded several spots on the underside. O.K., he brings the boat to me and I get 8 guys to come over and pick the beast of a boat up off the trailer and flip it over and put it back on the trailer, man this thing is huge! So me and a friend go to repairing the bottom pits and holes with my spoolamatic mig gun,We just ran beads over the pitted areas. I ground all the jb weld off and welded a few patches over the bigger spots. After all welding was completed, I sanded and shot the entire bottom with Allweld OD green paint. Then I had to get a hold of the same 8 guys to come and help me lift the boat and flip it back over and set it on the trailer, only this time it cost me beer and barbeque! Did I mention this thing is huge?

Now that the boat is ready and back on the trailer I can begin fabricating the front rails, I got started with a few bends but that was about all I had time for this weekend, I'll have to work on it during the week after I get off work. Follow along and lets see how this beast comes out. More pics as progress escalates. Rod.

Attachments

• bender.jpg
    bender.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,202
  • welds.jpg
    welds.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,202
  • bottom patches.jpg
    bottom patches.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,202
  • loupe welding 2.jpg
    loupe welding 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,202
  • Loupe welding.jpg
    Loupe welding.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,202
  • backed in.jpg
    backed in.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,202
  • filled with water.jpg
    filled with water.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,202
  • fillig her up.jpg
    fillig her up.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,202
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,202
  • view of back.jpg
    view of back.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,202
  • view of front.jpg
    view of front.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,202
  • in shop.jpg
    in shop.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,202
I didn't know they made a 18/70. This will be a fun build to follow. What kind of beer was used? :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Sweet, enjoyed your last build, Looking forward to seeing more progress on that beast of a jon boat

Gillhunter: The beer of choice is Bud Light, I can't handle Budweiser no more, gives me a headache in the morning!

hsiftac & bigwave: We'll see how much he wants to do. You could do alot with this rig.

Poormans Boatright said:
Gillhunter: The beer of choice is Bud Light, I can't handle Budweiser no more, gives me a headache in the morning!

hsiftac & bigwave: We'll see how much he wants to do. You could do alot with this rig.

I have a 2060 Duracraft, I will keep an eye on this. Anxious to see the bends and the fab. work.

What type of welder is that . Looks like mig from here. I have a Lincoln Electric 125 that will mig aluminum, I have never used it for aluminum but it wouldnt cost much to convert. What you think about me using that machine for boat builds instead of getting a high frequency tig machine.

thakns in advance for your thoughts

Gator: My welder is a Millermatic 250 with a spoolamatic added, its a fairly expensive unit. The lincoln 125 unit, in my opinion will not get hot enough to do quality results, not to mention its duty cycle. Yes you can run aluminum wire through it but the wire has to travel through the length of the cable in the liner and the problem with that is the soft aluminum wire gets hung up and you will get fustrated real quick at the gun. On the spoolamatic the small spool of wire is mounted on the gun and only has to travel through a hard straight liner about 5" long compared to a mig guns cable that is 6'-8' long or so and bent. Again this is only my opinion based on my experience with these machines. Someone might chime in and say they weld aluminum jobs all the time with a 125. Yea, but with what kind of results? Not good enough to come from my shop. For my aluminum jobs, I use both a spool gun and high freq. tig, it all depends on what the task is. You can see my machines in more detail by clicking on my link to my build, I posted pics of both processes during the build. Good luck_Rod

Hey Poorman, That made me flash back to the early days of my build. Great to see you doing a big boat build on TB.
Keep the pictures coming will you?....Jerry :)

Jerry, It would be nice if he wanted to take it as far as you did with your build. But I don't think that is his intent. I am willing to do the work all he has to do is say the word.

I got a little work done on Stevens boat this afternoon. I finished the bends on the first rail and got it tacked on. I got one upright leg cut mitered and tacked on also. More to come as progress is made.

For those that are interested in the welding part of the build, I took some close up shots of the spool gun so you can see the internals and get a better understanding of how the gun works.

Attachments

• spool gun.jpg
    spool gun.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,958
  • spool gun 2.jpg
    spool gun 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,958
  • leg added2.jpg
    leg added2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,958
  • leg added.jpg
    leg added.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,958
  • first rail2.jpg
    first rail2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,958
  • first rail3.jpg
    first rail3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,958
  • bent rail.jpg
    bent rail.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,958
Raining all day here on the coast, got a little more done today. I got the middle rail bent and tacked on. You may ask why does rain keep you from fabbing? Reason is this boat is so big its taking up what available space I have in the shop and I need to be outside with some of the equipment, and with the door closed there's really no room to work. Sounds like a good enough reason to go drink beer anyway. Here's a few updated pics.

Attachments

• first rail complete3.jpg
    first rail complete3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,916
  • first rail complete2.jpg
    first rail complete2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,916
  • first rail complete.jpg
    first rail complete.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,916
I finished up the front rails on Stevens boat today. Next I will be working on the air motor mount. Here's updated pics.

Attachments

• another view of front rails.jpg
    another view of front rails.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,826
  • view fron inside the boat.jpg
    view fron inside the boat.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,826
  • front completed.jpg
    front completed.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,826
  • left side starting.jpg
    left side starting.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,826
Thanx Fool, I am going out of town this weekend, so I wont get to work on the air motor mount much, I'm thinkin about how I'm gonna go about doin' it. I want it to look nice.

You said you were putting a mount for the air motor....are you talking about one of those swamp motors, or is he going to make this thing an Airboat.

bigwave: The boat is going be a airboat, but not the type with the huge prop that run the swamps. It's going to use a regular outboard as any boat, only it will also have a small engine mounted above the outboard that will have a small prop mounted to it. The small engines are usually 8-10 hp briggs or hondas, depending on the size of the boat. The purpose of the air motor is to allow the boat to get in extra shallow water and move along at a slow pace to gig flounder.

Ok, makes sense now....this thing is going to be one heck of a giging machine....I grew up in Flour Bluff Texas.....spent many a night gigging flatties on the boat hole basin, and the King Ranch shoreline. The upper Laguna Madre is a great place to gig flounders, and the trout and redfish are truely Texas sized :lol: Man I sure do miss Texas.

Bigwave: Yea, your right about the Laguna Madre, that's where most of the trophy trout come from.

Got some work done on the boat this weekend, I got most of the rear air motor mount tacked welded together. Still have some more to go but the basic shape is there. Here's the updated pics.

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 458
  • second section tacked.jpg
    second section tacked.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 458
  • another view.jpg
    another view.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 458
  • back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 458
  • second section 2.jpg
    second section 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 458
  • second section n bender.jpg
    second section n bender.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 458
  • back section on2.jpg
    back section on2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 458
  • back section on.jpg
    back section on.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 458
  • first bends2.jpg
    first bends2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 458
  • close up of bender.jpg
    close up of bender.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 458
  • layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 458
Thanks Fool.

I got the boat's front rails and back air motor support completed last week. I also fabbed up a trolling motor mount for the front of the boat. The back rails were a bit trickier than the front, reason being because of the compound angles to deal with to make everything fit and look right. The side bracing bars were a bit of a headache to fit in as they too had two different angles meaning to different miters to deal with. All said and done I am happy with the way the whole rig came out. Steven seemed to be happy also, (at least he said he was) he's probably gettin' tired of shelling out $ to me for all this. He came and picked it up last night and said that was all he wanted to do as of right now, and that he would contact me when he was ready to proceed with more on the boat, such as the floor etc. We'll see how far he takes this beast. Here's the lasted pics.

Attachments

• steven and boat.jpg
    steven and boat.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 413
  • view of mount n front rails.jpg
    view of mount n front rails.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 413
  • finished pics3.jpg
    finished pics3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 413
  • finished pics2.jpg
    finished pics2.jpg