Targeting SmallMouth Bass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
If you were to pick one plastic bait and one plastic bait only to target Smallmouth, what kind of plastic would it be and what color?

Would you pick a creature type bait? Plastic worm? Stick bait? Not looking for a "brand" just a type and color.

4" "Senko" style worm in green pumpkin with a 2/0 EWG hook

they work in lakes
LakeMichigansmallie003.jpg

and rivers
fishandfisher.jpg

Never caught one, but given what I've seen caught either on TV or on the net, It would be a TUBE by a long shot.

Green or Brown.

Too bad a white spinnerbait isn't concidered plastic? LOL

I would have to go with a stick/swim bait. Color is hard to decide. I've had most luck on black/white belly. Pumpkinseed would be next.

I have never had great sucess with tubes. I would have to go with a pearl super fluke.

Grubs!!!!! Preferably at least 4" One color, man that's tough. Probably my dip grub. A pumkin with the tail dipped in chartreuse spike it dip dye. My color preferences change with the sky and wind conditions.

grubs are great! I like them on weighted hooks(1/16-1/8) dragged across rocks in rivers. The strikes can be violent!

The only time I actually targeted SMB we fished the Susquehanna River where the Juniata River joins it, we used Bandit crank baits, 0-4 ft. crawdad color, got 18. We went to a fishing expo and ran into a fellow that guides on the Susquehanna, and he said we could have easily doubled that number if we used a Mizmo tube, watermelon.

if you are fishing a lake that has gobies in it that is the bait to use don't be afraid to go big !!!!
tube would be my next choice in a green pumpkin or road kill camo great bait for KY lake smallies

Wayne

A 4" Jack's worm, on a 1/8oz spot remover jig head. Color would either be roadkill or green pumpkin black flake. This is great for rivers and creeks. I have had days on creeks where I used the same jig and worm all day, catching close to 50 fish.

I agree with alot of the posts but I really am a fan of topwater for big smallies. Jitterbugs in the dark or pop-r's in the morning/evening. Man they are awesome to catch. I think a 2.5 lber fights like a 5lb largemouth.

Latest posts