The magic carpet glue destroyer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejohn

Reaction score
So I ripped the carpet out of my boat on Sunday and spent the better part of two hours yesterday afternoon trying to chisel it out by hand with a scraper. Several people told me to use a heat gun to melt it, and I thought that was my only option. That is, until I remembered this little guy my dad got me for Christmas last year. https://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=67537
Just a heads up for anyone tackling the dreaded carpet glue removal. This little tool works like magic. I scraped all the glue out of my boat in less than 45 minutes.
Next comes sanding. Thankfully it has a sanding pad attachment.

I bought one on a coupon sale just because I thought it might come in handy at some point.
I've used it for several things that would have otherwise been a problem, the next thing I'll be using it for is to cut out some relief notches in my back deck doors so they will swing up around the clamps of my new motor. I think the saw blade attachment will let me notch the wood without having to take the doors off or remove the carpet completely.

Hay LittleJ,
Which attachment did you use? and did you find the tool quality up to snuff? I've looked at it a couple of times and the price seems too good to be true compared to the original $400.00 outfit.

I just used the scraper attachment that comes with it. It's about 1 1/2" wide. Worked perfectly - chiseled that glue right off. You have to be careful though not to let the pointed edge contact the aluminum though because it will knick it.
The only problems I had with the tool are:
1. It's extremely loud vibrating against the aluminum (although that's more the aluminum's fault).
2. There's no vibration dampening in the tool whatsoever.
3. The vent is located where I naturally want to hold it, so it tends to get pretty hot after a while.
But for the price and what it does, you can't beat it.

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see anyone had been here.

Latest posts