tiller motor mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorhunter

Reaction score
Hello all!!...I've been lurking here,and searching the forums for a while now...I can't seem to find an answer to this question

I have an Alumacraft 1442 that I just purchased and an arctic spirit 20hp.....I've just got it clamped onto the transom at the moment

do I need to put a piece of wood in between the boat and motor on the inside or the outside?
If so,can I just put it in between and clamp it down,or do I need to drill holes in my boat ( I REALLY don't want to do that!!)

I just don't want to harm my transom by having metal on metal contact

I hope I didn't ramble too bad,lol

Thanks in advance
Matt

If your transom is in good shape I don't think you need any additional support. My tiller motors have always been clamped (not thru bolted) straight to the transom with no extra backing material, going on 20 years on the same hull. Just get a bolt lock to secure the motor from theft.

Hope this helps.

+1. you don't really need an extra piece on the outside. Some folks add it to protect the hull a bit, but it's not really necessary and it tends to just rot away in short order. I don't have on on mine and it's been fine for years. ++1 on the through bolt/safety chains for the motor. You definitely want you secure your motor in some fashion so it can't "hop" off and into the deep. You'll also want the anti-vent plate found just above the prop, to be level or slightly higher than the keel. You should be able to run +/-20mph with a light load.

you are correct on the speed..it'll run 22 with just me...19 with me,my friend and gear

upon further inspection...I'm an idiot,lol
the transom on my boat has a piece of wood covered by a piece of aluminum,just didn't notice it before,looks factory

thank you all for the advice :D

Matt

Latest posts