Trailer Repair: What should I do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDFisherman57

Reaction score
2011-04-04_11-58-20_515.jpg

2011-04-04_11-58-12_409.jpg

2011-04-04_11-57-28_537.jpg

2011-04-04_11-57-16_801.jpg

2011-04-04_11-56-42_992.jpg

Trying to figure out weather I should fix this or just use it for a year or two then just buy a new trailer. The coupler is actually welded onto the tounge and the tounge part was damaged by the previous owner and they just welded a plate to help support it. I was just wondering maybe what I can do. The trailer tounge is welded to the bend frames so im not sure. I would put a fold-away coupler but i dont really have room due to the winch post. What do you guys think?

Lots of rust...but everything looks "solid" in the pix. Tap everything with a hammer and see if it is just surface rust. If that is so, scrape; sand; and paint.

I had one that looked worse, but it is great now. I had to take a Harbor Freight electric powered wire brush to some parts.... Rich

Yea i mean everything is solid on the trailer but the main part that bothers me is the tounge part of the trailer. They placed the support there and it is very strong but where it was bent a small gash opened in the bar. Im thinking of either A. Finding someone to weld a peice back on that area or by finding a wat to cut the bar and add a fold-away coupler. Issue is the room part between the winch post and the bad area.

I can't see the "cut part".... so I can't help there.

Are you trying to shorten the tongue for storage? Are you trying to strengthen the tongue due to an excess load?If it is either one of those, you can buy a piece of the next size smaller tongue ( or the next size larger tongue) and slip one over the other one.

Add a double bolt/or pin... through them;...then add a new hitch connector and you would have a stronger; more flexible rig.

Years ago, I did the "slip through" connector on one. When storing the boat...I pulled the double pins out and slid the extension out. That made the remaining trailer shorter and it then fit into my garage.

Sorry if I am not answering your query correctly....but...I guess I don't know what your exact concern is yet. regards, Rich

Is it a tilting trailer?
If so you can just unbolt the tongue and replace it.
Be careful welding on galvanized steel it gives off toxic fumes.

I was going to replace the full tounge but its fixed to the other framing so cant u bolt it. Well my concern is that since the tounge by the coupler isn't aesthetically pleasing and the coupler is actually fixed welded to the bad section of the tounge, I might as well add a fold-away couple to save room and have it become more of a solid structure and more aesthetically pleasing. I would have to grind off the weld of that thick plate that was added to the damaged area and then place the fold-away couple bracket over the area.

If i do clean up the trailer, Can i just use wire brush to clean it off to then prime and paint the trailer?

I say scrap it. It looks as if the tongue is warped. You can get parts and brackets cheap at harbor freight but it looks like your axle is shot. You can find a trailer on CL for less the $350 in good condition.

Are you sure it's not a tilting trailer? I see what looks like a release pin just in front of the roller and a pivot bolt?

I dont believe it is. Ill have to check tomorrow but i believe that pin is for the roller but I could be wrong. I have another picture that may help expain what its for. I think its just for the roller and not a tilting trailer.

Boat1.jpg

Thats not helping me lol. Im now thinking it might! well i will have to check tomorrow. If so then it would be an easy swap of the tounge bar then correct?

I can't see your photos (darn the firewall) but that welded coupler shouldn't be a concern. A little time with an angle grinder will take it right off.

I am just speculating here, but...many tilting trailers have "nested" channels. That is...while looking down on the trailer... you can only see the top channel, but...if you get down onto the ground and look up, you can see the tilting separate channel.

There doesn't seem to be any other explanation for that pin and chain. Get better pix so we can help. regards, Rich

Well after looking underneath the trailer, it is def. a tilting trailer. Here are some pictures below. This is good because it is easy change the 8 ft. tounge bar and place a new one on there.

2011-04-06_11-24-19_337.jpg

2011-04-06_11-23-58_171.jpg

2011-04-06_11-23-43_422.jpg

2011-04-06_11-28-35_394.jpg

Latest posts