Trailers that use a 2X4 on winch stand instead of rubber

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry that happened to you....but...

It may well be that the prior owner made a habit of cranking the boat up on dry carpet and greatly weakened the area that broke. Unless your hull was really stuck on the carpet, it is hard to believe that the first pressure that you put on that area would tear the metal as you described.

Probably was going to happen, sooner or later.

Rich

Take it easy, anything can be fixed. Did you lower your winch lowwer that the eye on the boat? It so move it even to the eye or just slightly above the eye. It may be that the rubber bumper has wore the alumunum thinner in that one area . When you tighten your boat down don't overtighten it. I looked at a 2003 Lund the other day and they had a strap across the back holding it down and it had been tightened to much and had bent each side ot this boaat in about 2 inched on a side.

Also make sure your strap is below the eye bolt and not above it, see pics below of right and wrong. If it is above the eye bolt in an accident the boat could fly off onto your vehicle. The same principle would apply if a 2" X 4" with carpet is used or the v-block we use on semi-v boats like mine.

Attachments

• right way2.jpg
    right way2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 361
  • wrong way1.jpg
    wrong way1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 361
Here are pics of the completed project and one of the damage. As you can see, the damage is right above the bow eye. Do you guys think I will have to take it to a boat repair shop, or can I take it to a good welding shop? The problem is I don't know if the boat is aluminum or steel. It's a 1976 landau flat bottom jon boat. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20120715_175341.jpg
    IMG_20120715_175341.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20120715_175247.jpg
    IMG_20120715_175247.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 350
Thanks. So a welding shop will know how to repair a boat properly? Will they be able to tell if it's steel or aluminum? I think it's steel, but I'm not positive.

that's an aluminum boat. see all those scratches to bare metal on your gunwale? those would be big patches of rust if it were steel.

acabtp said:
that's an aluminum boat. see all those scratches to bare metal on your gunwale? those would be big patches of rust if it were steel.

Thanks. I was told it was aluminum when I dropped it off at the welding shop. I should have it back today.

Andy, I noticed in you pictures that you have steel cable on your winch. If I was you I would replace it with a strap that is made for winches. The steel cable has a bad habit of getting broken wires in it and is had on your hands. Just a suggestion.

sawmill said:
Andy, I noticed in you pictures that you have steel cable on your winch. If I was you I would replace it with a strap that is made for winches. The steel cable has a bad habit of getting broken wires in it and is had on your hands. Just a suggestion.

I should replace it. It came with the cable. Can a strap be put on any winch?

I'll add replacing the strap to my list. I got the boat back today from the welding shop and they did a very nice job. They also made 2 longer brackets for me that the 2X4 screws onto. Now the 2X4 sits further rearward, giving me more clearance for my winch handle(No more hitting my knuckles). It also allowed me to lower my winch more. The cable is now about 1" above the bow eye. I forgot to ask them if the welded area will rust if I don't paint it? It's a silver color now.

What is the ideal height placement of the 2X4 bow stop? On page 1, lckst's is just below the gunwale lip. Mine is a couple inches lower than his. Is that a problem?

Andy Taylor said:
I'll add replacing the strap to my list. I got the boat back today from the welding shop and they did a very nice job. They also made 2 longer brackets for me that the 2X4 screws onto. Now the 2X4 sits further rearward, giving me more clearance for my winch handle(No more hitting my knuckles). It also allowed me to lower my winch more. The cable is now about 1" above the bow eye. I forgot to ask them if the welded area will rust if I don't paint it? It's a silver color now.

That silver color is aluminum also, want rust, don't worry about that. They didn't weld it, they used the heliarc process on it. That is where they use aluminum rods in place of the normal welding rods that will rust.

Latest posts