Transducer Mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
correct me if im wrong but to get good readings under speed doesnt it need to hang below the hull a bit?? i wouldnt think that would be too great on a jetboat running skinny....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327339#p327339 said:
marshman » Yesterday, 01:42[/url]"]correct me if im wrong but to get good readings under speed doesnt it need to hang below the hull a bit?? i wouldnt think that would be too great on a jetboat running skinny....

I can't comment on the jetboat part of it, bit yes for good reading at speed the lowest part of the transeducer needs to be lower then the hull. The whole ducer does not.

On many ducers, there is a horizontal line going the lenght of the ducer. The part below that line, needs to be in the water. This also has to do with cooling the ceramic element innside the ducer, although not a big issue on low power ducers, wich is what we are discussing here. On big, powerful and expensive ducers (600w and upwards), cooling is a must or the ducer will be short lived.

Thanks for the heads up on needing to get the transducer below the hull at speed. I'm sure I'll have a bit of adjusting to do once I get it installed, and thats the purpose of the cutting board. I'm not to concerned with the transducer being slightly below hull level. My jet foot will stick down further, and hopefully I won't be smashing either up anytime soon!! :shock:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327558#p327558 said:
BigTerp » 51 minutes ago[/url]"]Thanks for the heads up on needing to get the transducer below the hull at speed. I'm sure I'll have a bit of adjusting to do once I get it installed, and thats the purpose of the cutting board. I'm not to concerned with the transducer being slightly below hull level. My jet foot will stick down further, and hopefully I won't be smashing either up anytime soon!! :shock:
As long as the ducer has a kick up bracket, you'll be fine. You may actually have problems keeping it from flipping up when running too fast. I can't get an on plane reading with my SI ducer. I'm not really concerned with it like some of the guys who run WOT in the shallows. I've got a TSS spring mount which returns the ducer back if it kicks up.

You are getting more welding done for the OB jet riser, why not get your buddy to buzz on a chunk of 3/8" aluminum. Drill and tap a series of threaded holes every 1/2" for the range you expect to need and be done with it. Stainless Phillip's screws strip out too easily to allow for much adjustment.