Transom Replacement Q's - My 12' Sears Semi V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
So one of the first projects on this boat I need to do is replacing the transom. I've read quite a few threads on here with what type of wood to use, and how to cut layers, glue, and build the actual transom. Lots of good info here, my questions relate to the capping, and bracing.

How exactly would you guys tackle this one? This part makes me really nervous, I'm not really sure how to do this and don't like the idea of cutting everything apart on top thats welded for the corners, etc.

So far, I'm thinking the best/easiest way to do this is remove all rivets for the brace, and remove the brace. Then remove all rivets for the piece of angle aluminum on the bottom of the transom wood. Then remove the other rivets holding the wood in. Then the wood should slide right out the bottom without having to cut/reweld anything on top for the cap/corners. At this point, I patch and seal everything inside the transom, and paint the inside before I put the new transom wood in place. Then I can slide the new transom in place, and use stainless bolts/washers/5200 to put everything back in place.

My only concern is with weakening the area where the brace is currently riveted into the floor. My method above would require removing the brace, and then rebolting it into place, and I don't like the idea of having to drill and then remount the holes for the brace below the water line on the bottom, and I certainly don't want to compromise the strength of the floor in this area.

Any ideas? I can take more pics if needed, I'd really appreciate the thoughts/guidance of others that have done this before without issues.

DSC04051.jpg

DSC04053.jpg

DSC04052.jpg

DSC04049.jpg

DSC04050.jpg

Another thought I had as well, to strenghen the area on the floor, was to fill all the holes in the bottom of the hull from the brace once removed, repaint this area, then mount a 4"x6" piece of sealed/painted ply through the bottom of the hull covering the area where the brace originally sat on the bottom of the hull using stainless hardware and 5200. Then, I could mount the brace on top of this, and against the transom wood itself.

Is this overkill? Also, is it a bad idea to have wood mounted on the bottom of the boat where there will likely be standing water on a frequent basis? I will have a bilge in this boat, but I'm sure this area will still be wet frequently.

Again, any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Do like you originally mentioned. Remove the brace, then remove the lip under the transom. When you do it, drill the rivets out, and be careful to drill dead center (center punch is necessary), that way, upon reassembly, you can use the exact same holes.

Latest posts