Trolling motor blues...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowakezone

Reaction score
I bought a used trolling motor from an online liquidation auction, it's a minn Kota 29 lb thrust. I briefly tried to test it yesterday and it didn't really do anything.. Where would one start when trying to trouble shoot why it doesn't work?

Did you take the head off the top & check to see if all the wires were connected & tightly fit? Corrosion?
Is the On/Off switch in the handle or is it the older style with the switch in the middle of the head?
If it's the latter, test it using a multi-meter or a 12 volt test light. Another suggestion, go to youtube & see if there is a tutorial or Google your model & find the owners manual for it. They usually show an exploded view of the motor & the wiring.
Good Luck!
*Edit: A final piece of advice, regarding things like electric or gas motors, it's best to use something like craigslist over auction sites like ebay because you get to actually see & try them out BEFORE you plunk down your cash.

Nowakezone said:
I bought a used trolling motor from an online liquidation auction, it's a minn Kota 29 lb thrust. I briefly tried to test it yesterday and it didn't really do anything.. Where would one start when trying to trouble shoot why it doesn't work?