vehicle lights on boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadpole86

Reaction score
Was thinking about putting some lights on my boat the meet the regulations for fishing at night in case I ever wanted to do some catfishing. I also happen to have some extra car lights lying around and was pondering the thought of using them. Anyone thoughts, concerns, or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I think that the amount of power draw from automotive headlights would be pretty heavy...I am assuming that's what you are intending. But I have thought the same thing for river running at night. I use a battery powered led bow light and have had the same batteries in it for a whole season...and lots of night fishing. The stern light is an led as well but consumes more power....if you have a lantern I would use that at the stern. I built a bracket off of the outboard to hold it at regulation height. Works well and way more light than a regular stern light.

Not sure about VA laws but I was told by the Illinois DNR that ONLY the red/green and white stern light are to be visible after dark. and that operating a boat with other lights (like your head lights) would be in violation unless you were using them to assist in docking. I do not have any reference to that and I got one of those remote controlled lights that plug into my bow light receptacle anyhow. Many times I motor out in the dark and don't feel like running into floating debris like a log or dead body or such.

As far as the Nav lights go, you could go with battery powered light. Never heard anything bad about them but I would bring extra batteries... just in case. You only have the 1 battery for the TM? No cranking battery?

For now only one battery but eventually two batteries. I was just pondering the idea and I appreciate the input. I should probably just hold off any lights and when I finally do it just put in the proper lights.

Latest posts