Which motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4life420

Reaction score
boat2.jpg

Which motor would be good on this boat? the previous owner had, I'm guessing a 9.9, but thats only a theory..lol...anyways will a 10hp do the trick or can a 15hp be what I really need....

why not just take it to a lake and see how it performs presently with the nissan??????? Then decide if you need the extra

perchin said:
why not just take it to a lake and see how it performs presently with the nissan??????? Then decide if you need the extra

I'm guessing he didn't get the motor with the boat. It's too bad, because I'm sure a 9.9 would be perfect for that boat. There should be a plate on the transom giving a HP rating.

I'm thinking a 9.9 should be right for that boat. Really depends on where you fish, are you going to mod the boat and add lots of extra wait and such. Would need more details. Like previously mentioned check the horsepower rating if the boat.

:LOL2: ..... disregard my previous post. I didn't realize that it was not your own photo, but a photo of it from the previous owner? If I had the choice, I would go with the 15hp.

perchin said:
:LOL2: ..... disregard my previous post. I didn't realize that it was not your own photo, but a photo of it from the previous owner? If I had the choice, I would go with the 15hp.
I with the perch on this one. The weight differnace between a 9.9 (or a 10) and a 15 is very negligable if any. More is usually better when it comes to hp.

Which motor would be good on this boat? the previous owner had, I'm guessing a 9.9, but thats only a theory..lol...anyways will a 10hp do the trick or can a 15hp be what I really need....

I believe Tim 'the toolman' Taylor ("Home Improvement") said it best..."MORE POWER!" (insert primal grunting noise here)
Go with the 15hp (IF the boat can handle it-natch!). You'll be happy you did when a sudden storm pops up & you have to get your arse back into port in one helluva hurry.

Dude, does that motor run? if so, KEEP IT! That is the motor that everyone around here wants! That thing can be converted to a 15hp by taking the throttle pin out. That motor is the same motor as a 15 just limited by the amount of throttle that is available! Trust me, I know a few guys who have this same motor, or looks to be the same as theirs.. I would check on it if i were you..

nope not my motor and I kept tryin to get him to sell it to me..and the boat dont have the plate cause the title says 1970 and they started that in '72 but I think he just said it was a 70 but Im really not sure

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
How long is your boat?

its 12' X 4' ...I think I might of found me a nice motor for this boat in the link here below

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/1733986159.html

You can easily find out the year and even the month it was made by using the HIN number. It will be stamped or engraved right into the hull on the rear (outside) of the transom on the upper left hand side. Post up that # and I'll be glad to tell you what year and month it was manufactured. The motor in that craigslist add kinda looks to be a long shaft, make sure your transom matches the motor you get. Tight lines sir 8)

pks4life420 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
How long is your boat?

its 12' X 4' ...I think I might of found me a nice motor for this boat in the link here below

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/1733986159.html

I live in central Florida also. I saw that motor yesterday in Craigslist. I'm sure the $7 is a misprint. He probably wants $700. It looks like a long shaft, too.

so i found a briggs n stratton 5 hp camo...the guy said 200 for both that and the 12' plastic jon boat so Im pickin them up friday....this is just a for now thing while I look for that perfect deal on a bigger one...anyways anyone us this or have in the past let me know how it is...thanks

no not yet...the title says 1970. I have looked up and down on the boat and there are bo numbers or dates or anything anywhere

Hmmm..... oh well no biggie, the important thing is that it floats, and you can fish it. :mrgreen: