Will's Starcraft Part 2: Freshwater to Saltwater!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words, guys!!!

Huntin: I appreciate that offer, unfortunately I've come to the reality that a poling platform just isn't happening on my little 12 ft. But once again I sure appreciate the offer.

Bogue: I got the glovebox off of Amazon.com. The construction quality is nice, the only downside is that it is not waterproof. But works for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-White-Locking-Glove-Box/dp/B00CZEYVQ8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427301514&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=marine+glove+boc

I haven't had as much progress to report lately. Been busy with work and school but I've made some headway..

I have been focusing on getting the front deck finished. I ran all the wires for the nav light, docking lights, horn, and trolling motor and loomed them all, then wire clipped them to the aluminum reinforcements (sorry no pic, it's under the deck now!) I also added the Tempress hatch for underdeck access.

I coated the underside of the deck in spar varnish and got it all bolted down solid. I framed up a trolling motor mount for the front (still in progress) and added a Minn-Kota quick disconnect plug (she's going to get a quick detatch motor mount as well).

I have now sealed up the edges of the deck with marine silicone. Once that is dry, I am going to seal the top of the deck and then give it a white bedliner type coating. So far so good.

You can also see in the pic that I have mounted my on board dual bank battery charger so that it will be accessible from the hatch under the center console.

This deck work is time consuming. I varnished the whole deck, and then finished it off in a coating called rubber flexx (in the roofing department at Lowe's). So far it seems very durable, we will see how it hold up with use! But it sure provides a great grip surface that is easier on bare feet than bedliner is.

Trolling motor mount is just about complete, just need to finish painting it.

derekdiruz said:
I love it, so far so good!

Have you done much with the rear bench area?

Thanks! Haven't done much with the rear area yet, for some reason I decided to focus on the front deck and get it done first. Perhaps I wanted to make sure that all my building materials and techniques would work out the way I wanted before I did the whole boat.

I have cut out the rear deck section and varnished the underside. So I'll probably focus on getting it bolted down and start building it up next time I work on the boat. As far as the rear deck goes, It will be very basic with some cupholders and a large hatch for gas tank access. I'm thinking about doing a long cushion across like you see on leaning posts.
L10-2001SEAT.jpg

A few good days of labor and I have the rear deck complete. I went with a very simple single hatch for gas tank access. I wanted as much real estate as possible for an effective casting platform. All in all the deck has come out super solid and I reinforced the hatch so that it is no problem to step on it as well. I just realized I never took a picture but I added aluminum bracing between the transom and the rear bench.

Stainless cupholders went off to the side to stay out of the way but also so that they would be accessible if you are hanging out on the sandbar and want to grab your drink off the boat! I also installed the shoreline LED deck lights. I think they will work out great. The leaning post style sitting cushion is on its way and will be installed soon.

Also, you'll notice I have installed the new Power Pole Micro.. more on that later! In the mean time I need to clean up my dirty floor in the boat. With all this white I think this will be a "no shoes allowed" boat! 8)

Now that the deck work is done I will start focusing in on all of the wiring!

skyline223 said:
... varnished the whole deck, and then finished it off in a coating called rubber flexx (in the roofing department at Lowe's).
I can't find anything by that name on their website, can you please check the can? I did find a rubberized 'asphalt' coating called Flexx-Guard sold at Tractor Supply for $13/gallon.

DaleH said:
I can't find anything by that name on their website, can you please check the can? I did find a rubberized 'asphalt' coating called Flexx-Guard sold at Tractor Supply for $13/gallon.

For some reason the stuff is tricky to find on the internet, but here is the product page on the manufacturer's website... apparently the Spanish version is all I could locate...

https://blackjack-gardner.com/site/?page_id=3767

It was at Lowe's back with all the building materials in the roofing section.

Cool skiff you got goin bud, I'm buildin a flats type jon boat too, but mine is taking way longer then yours! I'm envious of how quickly yours is coming together...

Thanks!!

After today's work the boat is 98% complete! After completing the deck steps, I focused on getting the electrical finished today. I got everything wired up and it all worked the first time... that doesn't happen often! There is an individual switch and circuit breaker for the sonar, bilge pump, horn, deck lights, docking lights, underwater transom lights, nav lights, and the 12V accessory outlet. The power pole and trolling motor are on their own circuits.

As I finished out the steps, I added some LED strips to the underside of the steps as courtesy lights. I also added one more spreader deck light up front. I'm really happy with the deck lighting this time around!

Center console is officially bolted on, docking lights mounted, on board battery charger receptacle added on the side of the console, added pole brackets on gunwale to hold the anchor pole when not in use.

The new Minn-Kota Riptide trolling motor should show up sometime next week. I'll get that rigged up and we will be ready to hit the water!

EZa5DI.jpg

buph9t.jpg

K5qmUX.jpg

oKcdwX.jpg

Thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate the kind words and support... Keeps me motivated on projects like this!

Trolling motor should be here on Tuesday. Once it's mounted I'll take her out for a test run at a local lake. My fishing buddy and I are scheduled to head down to the gulf coast next Sunday. Can't wait!

Question: With all this white, I think I'll need to invest in a good boat cover. Being that this is an unorthodox shape now with the console, how hard and costly would it be to have a custom cover made? Or would I be better off with a generic big boat cover? Suggestions?