Winter covering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those in northen climates how do you cover your toon for the winter? I've shrinkwrapped mine in the past (DIY) but that is expensive with the material running about $100-$150. I tried tarping it with a quality tarp last year but the above average snow (in WI) collapsed pockets of it, which filled with water on melty days, froze back into ice and then ripped the tarp. Anyone come up with a good system for when the snow flies?

My system has never failed me and after initial expense it costs nothing....my solution was a pole barn !! One size fits all, never collapses under load and lasts a long time !!

I plan on attaching a covered area to the garage just for the boat. Nothing fancy just a few poles in the ground and a frame to attach some tin to. Since I live in the suburbs of Henryetta Oklahoma I do not have to worry about permits or building codes.

I plan on attaching a covered area to the garage just for the boat. Nothing fancy just a few poles in the ground and a frame to attach some tin to. Since I live in the suburbs of Henryetta Oklahoma I do not have to worry about permits or building codes.
Great idea, before the pole barn, I created a leanto on the side of my garage. As you mentioned a few poles and some fabral steel roofing sheets made the roof. Over the winter, I added some tarps to enclose the side to keep ice and snow out. Worked great, never any snow/ ice buildup and boat stayed very nice....not as nice as my pole barn but nice !!

I bought some good quality pool pillows and placed them in the boat. My boat needed 3 of them. They are very high quality and tough. About 25 dollars each. But with proper care, they should last for a very long time. These are not the cheap rubber or latex pillows, but almost like tent material or like an inflatable boat material. Then I purchased a truly water proof tarp at about 100 dollars or so. The tarps that you buy at Walmart or Home Depot or Menards are not completely waterproof. They will seep water over time. Which boggled me at first because I would check on my boat over the winter and see no water on the tarp, but every spring I would uncover my boat to find several inches of water inside.

The pillows accomplish the same thing as a boat cover pole...
It slows the water to run off instead of pool on top of the tarp.

If you have a semi truck tarp making place near you, check them out. They can make anything from light duty to very heavy duty tarps or covers. I had some atv covers made over 12 years back, never had a leak, tear or rip, other than dirty, still like new. Well worth the cost !!

I used to tarp my boat as best I could with a few overturned plastic garbage cans in the boat to hold the trap up. I then put tied a rope between 2 trees and draped a tarp over the rope and pegged the ends down to the ground. It worked pretty well.

Years back a neighbor built an A frame from 2x4's then added a long heavy tarp. Folded in the ends and tied shut. Worked for years as his winter storage, the big A kept any snow or water from collecting. Criters also found it usefull so beware.

I bought some good quality pool pillows and placed them in the boat. My boat needed 3 of them. They are very high quality and tough. About 25 dollars each. But with proper care, they should last for a very long time. These are not the cheap rubber or latex pillows, but almost like tent material or like an inflatable boat material. Then I purchased a truly water proof tarp at about 100 dollars or so. The tarps that you buy at Walmart or Home Depot or Menards are not completely waterproof. They will seep water over time. Which boggled me at first because I would check on my boat over the winter and see no water on the tarp, but every spring I would uncover my boat to find several inches of water inside.

That's an awesome tip about the pool pillows. That should work under a standard boat cover as well. Thanks for sharing that. My Tracker is well used and beat up. I have some film faced plywood from work I just screw right down to the gunnels to cover it for winter.

FWIW I cover a few boats, for myself and others and never use expen$ive shrink 'crap'. I use and recommend as TALL and STEEP an A-Frame structure as possible, even if you need a step ladder and helper to set it in place. Done once - done right!

I have used PVC and strapping (main beam of 2 pieces with 6" piece in-between every 4'). That 'space' allows the vertical pieces to be hung in-between. Regardless of frame material, the frame must be tied securely to the cleats or other features of the hull to prevent it from flying up, if wind gets under it, which can cause PVC frames to come apart. Never had an issue or breakage with a wood frame and my personal frame is now 5-seasons old and will go on to its 6th use this late Fall.

I use only Sigman brand heavy duty tarps in white color. I'll get 3-4 years out of them, or more, reversing it each Winter. Simple way ... put a '1' on the corners of the longest sides on one end and a '2' on the other ends. again on each side. Since I cover in the late Fall, this year '2023' the ends with the '1' go towards the bow. Rotating the tarps causes less wear and stress points.

Co$ts maybe $40 for the frame or $8 or less per season, and $60 for the tarp, so call it $20 'worst case' per season, for a grand total of $28 (plus need rope) to cover the boat. That's much better than $15 per foot for shrink 'crap', LOL!

Concept picture attached. Again, steep = good!

A-Frame.png

Not meaning to rub it in, but when I read threads like this I'm happy about not having to deal with snow or freezing temps. I'm very fortunate to be able to use the boat year round -- as long as we have water in the lakes that is.

Not meaning to rub it in, but when I read threads like this I'm happy about not having to deal with snow or freezing temps. I'm very fortunate to be able to use the boat year round -- as long as we have water in the lakes that is.
Ok...ok...you don't have ro rub it in !!! Winter is closing in here quickly, and the mood of many is dismal...at least I will have the joys of shoveling snow in the brisk fresh air, something you won't get to enjoy !!!

Ok...ok...you don't have ro rub it in !!! Winter is closing in here quickly, and the mood of many is dismal...at least I will have the joys of shoveling snow in the brisk fresh air, something you won't get to enjoy !!!

Nope. I don't have any use for one of those big flat shovels. :)

To be honest, I would worry a lot if I had to drive in snow or icy conditions. My oldest son went to college in Decorah Iowa and Buffalo NY. He now lives in Missoula Mt. He is our family expert on cold winters.

Knowing that I have snow to move, I bought the toys needed to move it. I no longer use a shovel, instead two snowblowers, one small and one large one. Then a side by side with an enclosure and a heater so most snow is plowed in comfort !! Actually I enjoy moving snow but we don't really get enough to make it fun. Now...if I could figure out how to get snow when it is 70 degrees outside it would become real fun !!

FWIW I cover a few boats, for myself and others and never use expen$ive shrink 'crap'. I use and recommend as TALL and STEEP an A-Frame structure as possible, even if you need a step ladder and helper to set it in place. Done once - done right!

I have used PVC and strapping (main beam of 2 pieces with 6" piece in-between every 4'). That 'space' allows the vertical pieces to be hung in-between. Regardless of frame material, the frame must be tied securely to the cleats or other features of the hull to prevent it from flying up, if wind gets under it, which can cause PVC frames to come apart. Never had an issue or breakage with a wood frame and my personal frame is now 5-seasons old and will go on to its 6th use this late Fall.

I use only Sigman brand heavy duty tarps in white color. I'll get 3-4 years out of them, or more, reversing it each Winter. Simple way ... put a '1' on the corners of the longest sides on one end and a '2' on the other ends. again on each side. Since I cover in the late Fall, this year '2023' the ends with the '1' go towards the bow. Rotating the tarps causes less wear and stress points.

Co$ts maybe $40 for the frame or $8 or less per season, and $60 for the tarp, so call it $20 'worst case' per season, for a grand total of $28 (plus need rope) to cover the boat. That's much better than $15 per foot for shrink 'crap', LOL!

Concept picture attached. Again, steep = good!

View attachment 116937
When I was a young lad at home, my father and I built A frames from 2x4 lumber that went to the ground. Staked and screwed to the ground then tarped with waxed canvass tarps. Back then very cheap and strong !! Today my neighbor uses a 2x4 A frame but now uses a semi truck tarp and covers all the way from peak to ground. Truck tarp is over 8 years old and still in perfect condition. They estimate at least 15 years on the tarp as long as it doesn't flap in the wind. It is so strong it is almost as tough as a permanent structure. He has almost a thousand dollars into it total, but looking at well over 15 years before upgrades.....cheap !! The structure has never failed, no snow or rain has gotten in, been in winds of 60 mph. Can't beat a semi truck tarp for a quality cover and the simple A frame has stood the test of time..